Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate

Jerry

Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate
Trying to upgrade, been running home premium with no problems fro months now.
When I try to upgrade I get the following message:Close Windows installation
and contact the device manufacturer for updated driver software for these
devices:
Storage controllers: WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller

Now I have exhausted all my knowledge and resources searching for a
solution. I can find no updated drivers for this controller and I noticed
that the drivers that are installed are not signed (don't know if this is the
issue)

Where do I go from here?
Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate
Vista does have a thing about unsigned Drivers. In XP, we could just click
"install anyway"

"Jerry" wrote:

> Trying to upgrade, been running home premium with no problems fro months now.
> When I try to upgrade I get the following message:Close Windows installation
> and contact the device manufacturer for updated driver software for these
> devices:
> Storage controllers: WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller
>
> Now I have exhausted all my knowledge and resources searching for a
> solution. I can find no updated drivers for this controller and I noticed
> that the drivers that are installed are not signed (don't know if this is the
> issue)
>
> Where do I go from here?

stanislavf

RE: Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate
If this is a RAID controller from Promise (two drives mirrored), I got it to
work for awhile with Home Premium but then it eventually caused too many
errors. If you got this on a Dell, it is an unsupported Promise controller
(they--Promis-- will tell you that it is Dell's problem to update the driver
and that they are not going to).

In the end, I removed the controller and just used the two harddrives as
seperate drives, running a backup from one drive to the other. If you really
need RAID, you may have to upgrade the controller. I would avoid Promise.

SKF