How Do I...?

MikeG

How Do I...?
I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on how
to get Vista on to the drive.

But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
Windows Vista."

Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How Do I...?
You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/en-us

Installation choices for 32-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933162/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:470acd1d$0$18982$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on how
to get Vista on to the drive.

But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
Windows Vista."

Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

Seth

Re: How Do I...?
"MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
>do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on
>how to get Vista on to the drive.
>
> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
> Windows Vista."
>
> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

Just put the Vista disk in the drive and close it. If AUTORUN is enabled it
will launch automatically and then choose Upgrade.

If it doesn't auto launch, navigate to the drive and run it manually.

Now on this pass, enter your license key and install.

MikeG

Re: How Do I...?
Thanks Seth.
"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
>>do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on
>>how to get Vista on to the drive.
>>
>> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
>> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
>> Windows Vista."
>>
>> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
>> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

> Just put the Vista disk in the drive and close it. If AUTORUN is enabled
> it will launch automatically and then choose Upgrade.
>
> If it doesn't auto launch, navigate to the drive and run it manually.
>
> Now on this pass, enter your license key and install.

Paul Randall

Re: How Do I...?

> You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows
> Vista

Hi, Carey
Did you really intend to tell the OP "you cannot ... perform a clean
installation..."? Your link says:
Method 1
Start the installation from a compliant version of Windows, such as Windows
Vista, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windows 2000. After you have
started the installation, you can select Custom at the installation choice
screen to perform a clean installation.

-Paul Randall

> Installation choices for 32-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
> do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on
> how
> to get Vista on to the drive.
>
> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
> Windows Vista."
>
> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

Mick Murphy

Re: How Do I...?
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...n-install.html

"MikeG" wrote:

> Thanks Seth.
> "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >>I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
> >>do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on
> >>how to get Vista on to the drive.
> >>
> >> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
> >> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
> >> Windows Vista."
> >>
> >> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
> >> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

> > Just put the Vista disk in the drive and close it. If AUTORUN is enabled
> > it will launch automatically and then choose Upgrade.
> >
> > If it doesn't auto launch, navigate to the drive and run it manually.
> >
> > Now on this pass, enter your license key and install.

Dwarf

RE: How Do I...?
Hi Mike,

If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using
Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup, you should be able to clarify your
problem.
Dwarf

"MikeG" wrote:

> I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order to
> do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on how
> to get Vista on to the drive.
>
> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
> Windows Vista."
>
> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

MikeG

Re: How Do I...?
Dwarf- this message is apparently no longer in the database; at least I
can't find it. Is it old? Mike
"Dwarf" <Dwarf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
>
> If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista
> Using
> Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup, you should be able to clarify your
> problem.
> Dwarf
>
> "MikeG" wrote:
>
>> I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order
>> do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on
>> how
>> to get Vista on to the drive.
>>
>> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
>> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
>> Windows Vista."
>>
>> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the installation
>> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

Paul Randall

Re: How Do I...?
Hi, MikeG
Which database is it not in? Groups.google.com has it.
Paste the following long line into the search box and sort by relevance; it
will be at the top of the list (watch for wrap):

"Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media" dwarf
group:microsoft.public.windows.vista.*

Note that Google's advanced search has a 'by author' option that is very
flakey lately. That's why I put the author name in the regular search
string.

-Paul Randall

> Dwarf- this message is apparently no longer in the database; at least I
> can't find it. Is it old? Mike
> "Dwarf" <Dwarf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista
>> Using
>> Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup, you should be able to clarify
>> your
>> problem.
>> Dwarf
>>
>> "MikeG" wrote:
>>
>>> I am waiting for an upgrade copy to arrive, of Vista Ultimate. In order
>>> do a clean install, I read the instructions available of the Internet on
>>> how
>>> to get Vista on to the drive.
>>>
>>> But when they say, after it is all installed, without the product key
>>> numbers,""Users then have to run the installation file again from within
>>> Windows Vista."
>>>
>>> Once I have installed Vista Upgrade, they tell me to run the
>>> installation
>>> again from within Windows...how do I do that? Confused...thanks...Mike

Dwarf

Re: How Do I...?
Hi Mike,

This message is still in the database - it is dated 9/21/2007. If you type
'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media' (without the apostrophes)
in to the 'Search For:' box, you should be able to locate this post.
Dwarf