Vista install on SATA drive

AnnFenneman@speedkills.com

Vista install on SATA drive
I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried

it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL

had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that

there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?

Thanks
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
On a brand new hard drive, you must create a new partition,
then format the new partition. Pay close attention to the
setup options.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

<AnnFenneman@speedkills.com> wrote in message news:JTxOi.89$UF3.81@newsfe12.lga...
I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried

it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL

had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that

there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?

Thanks
AnnFenniman

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
Been there done that.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> On a brand new hard drive, you must create a new partition,
> then format the new partition. Pay close attention to the
> setup options.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> <AnnFenneman@speedkills.com> wrote in message news:JTxOi.89$UF3.81@newsfe12.lga...
> I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried
>
> it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL
>
> had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that
>
> there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
>
> Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
Is your SATA drive shown enabled in the BIOS?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2592F02E-44BA-474A-990E-91715B2A8339@microsoft.com...
Been there done that.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> On a brand new hard drive, you must create a new partition,
> then format the new partition. Pay close attention to the
> setup options.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> <AnnFenneman@speedkills.com> wrote in message news:JTxOi.89$UF3.81@newsfe12.lga...
> I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried
>
> it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL
>
> had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that
>
> there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
>
> Thanks

AnnFenniman

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
Yes, I've tried it both ways (enabled and disabled). I really appreciate all
the help that everyones trying to give me. But all the questions I've been
asked are already answered in my orginal post.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Is your SATA drive shown enabled in the BIOS?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2592F02E-44BA-474A-990E-91715B2A8339@microsoft.com...
> Been there done that.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On a brand new hard drive, you must create a new partition,
> > then format the new partition. Pay close attention to the
> > setup options.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > <AnnFenneman@speedkills.com> wrote in message news:JTxOi.89$UF3.81@newsfe12.lga...
> > I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> > drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> > upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> > the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried
> >
> > it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> > latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL
> >
> > had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> > install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that
> >
> > there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
> >
> > Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
Microsoft offers free installation support:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?gprid=11734

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Is your SATA drive shown enabled in the BIOS?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2592F02E-44BA-474A-990E-91715B2A8339@microsoft.com...
> Been there done that.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On a brand new hard drive, you must create a new partition,
> > then format the new partition. Pay close attention to the
> > setup options.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > <AnnFenneman@speedkills.com> wrote in message news:JTxOi.89$UF3.81@newsfe12.lga...
> > I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> > drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> > upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> > the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried
> >
> > it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> > latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL
> >
> > had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> > install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that
> >
> > there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
> >
> > Thanks

jasper adams

RE: Vista install on SATA drive
Ann,
How do I post a new question....
I get no response when I press "Question"
Thanks,
Jasper

--
Jasper

"AnnFenneman@speedkills.com" wrote:

> I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried
>
> it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL
>
> had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that
>
> there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
>
> Thanks

Adam Albright

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:46:00 -0700, AnnFenniman
<AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, I've tried it both ways (enabled and disabled). I really appreciate all
>the help that everyones trying to give me. But all the questions I've been
>asked are already answered in my orginal post.

>> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2592F02E-44BA-474A-990E-91715B2A8339@microsoft.com...
>> Been there done that.

I had similar SATA issues when configuring my system. You could be
stuck in a catch 22. If I configured for RAID or non RAID any attempt
to boot would generate a No OS found or some similar error and the
BIOS would hang before even entering the OS.

Look carefully at the manual that came with the MB. Most every BIOS
has a setting that you can downgrade SATA drives to run as a simpler
IDE devices. Do not change any setting on the drive itself. Depending
on your BIOS that could be more than one line that needs changing in
the BIOS. Try that remembering what they were so you can go back.

If that was the only bottleneck you should get over the hump. If you
get Vista to install THEN look for the latest BIOS upgrade, yours may
not be new enough. While I was able to install Vista I couldn't get
the SATA drive out of IDE mode until I installed both the latest BIOS
and also a new Vista capable controller for it which even wasn't on
the Gigabyte web site in spite of the board claiming to be Vista
certified.

If it is an option you can update (flash) your BIOS directly from the
vendor's web site. How should be in the MB manual if it supports. A
lot of models now do.

John Barnes

Re: Vista install on SATA drive
You have to create a partition that is suitable to Vista, however you do it.
OP have used BootItNG to create an appropriate partition. Make sure you
have an appropriate primary partition for the system partition and format
the install partition with Vista NTFS.

"AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I've tried it both ways (enabled and disabled). I really appreciate
> all
> the help that everyones trying to give me. But all the questions I've been
> asked are already answered in my orginal post.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is your SATA drive shown enabled in the BIOS?
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Been there done that.
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > On a brand new hard drive, you must create a new partition,
>> > then format the new partition. Pay close attention to the
>> > setup options.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > <AnnFenneman@speedkills.com> wrote in message
>> > I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate
>> > 320GB
>> > drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller.
>> > The
>> > upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can
>> > see
>> > the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have
>> > tried
>> >
>> > it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have
>> > the
>> > latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that
>> > INTEL
>> >
>> > had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
>> > install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me
>> > that
>> >
>> > there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Synapse Syndrome

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message

> Look carefully at the manual that came with the MB. Most every BIOS
> has a setting that you can downgrade SATA drives to run as a simpler
> IDE devices.

That is the solution.

Go into the BIOS and turn the drive from SATA or AHCI mode to IDE Legacy
Mode. Then install Vista, and then install the SATA drivers for your
controller.

Then, remember to go back into the BIOS and turn AHCI mode (preferable with
modern HDDs) or SATA mode, for best performance.

ss.