Can't copy from an IE7 screen

Paul H

Can't copy from an IE7 screen
When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select all",
"create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or is
it some IE7 option?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Chad Harris

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen/vista.general group question
Not a setup install question.

CH

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
> appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select
> all",
> "create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
> text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
> wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or
> is
> it some IE7 option?
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Paul H

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen/vista.general group question
Where should I ask? I also put this query in "Vista.security". I'm
attempting to make this new Vista machine useable, and this
"installation.setup" seems the best place for new confused Vista users. I
suspect that my questions and the solutions that have been provided have
also helped other readers. I don't want to abuse this resource, so any
guidance is appreciated.

Paul

=================

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
Not a setup install question.

CH

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
> appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select
> all",
> "create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
> text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
> wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or
> is
> it some IE7 option?
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Adam Albright

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen/vista.general group question
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:56:28 -0600, "Paul H"
<NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote:

>Where should I ask? I also put this query in "Vista.security". I'm
>attempting to make this new Vista machine useable, and this
>"installation.setup" seems the best place for new confused Vista users. I
>suspect that my questions and the solutions that have been provided have
>also helped other readers. I don't want to abuse this resource, so any
>guidance is appreciated.
>
>Paul

The irony... the only person that could be considered abusing this
resource is Chad.

As to your problem, nope, that's not normal behavior. I just tried and
the functions you mentioned seem to work as they used to in XP. The
number #1 "security" isssue is Vista's halfass inplementation of UAC
(the new User Account Control) which imposes all kinds of nag screens
and may cause some applications to not function correctly or at all
unless the permissions are changed. The short answer for those kind of
issues is go to Control Panel, User Groups, find the spot for UAC and
just turn it off. I doubt your problem has anything to do with UAC
though. Sorry, haven't seen your problem before here or in the general
group and it for sure hasn't been answered a "thousand times".

Does right click work normally elsewhere in Vista and with your other
applications?

Chad Harris

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen/vista.general group question
Paul H--

Where should I ask? The Vista general group. I think you haven't seen a
list of the groups. Rt. click the toolbar of Win Mail>Customize>Add the
"newsgroup icon">click it>and type vista in search and you'll see a list of
newsgroup categories MSFT set up.

The pic shows it.

> Where should I ask? I also put this query in "Vista.security". I'm
> attempting to make this new Vista machine useable, and this
> "installation.setup" seems the best place for new confused Vista users. I
> suspect that my questions and the solutions that have been provided have
> also helped other readers. I don't want to abuse this resource, so any
> guidance is appreciated.
>
> Paul
>
> =================
>
> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> Not a setup install question.
>
> CH
>
> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>> When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
>> appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select
>> all",
>> "create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
>> text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
>> wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or
>> is
>> it some IE7 option?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Paul

Chad Harris

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen/vista.general group question
Albright gave you a purely ficitonal erroneous answer.

UAC could be improved and probably will be but it does not "cause
applications to function incorrectly" a typically witless non-documented
proclamation. No applications' functions have been impacted by UAC since the
Beta birthed 7/05.

The short dumb answer is to turn UAC off. You can learn to live with it
easily, and the only trick you really need to know is that ocassionally when
it wants to lock you out of doing something with a folder>rt.
click>properties>security tab> add the appropriate user and check the box to
give them permission.

Turning UAC off scraps the security MSFT has added in Vista and no one
knowledgable about UAC has been recommending this on any group including
this one althought it's not a setup/install question.

CH

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> Where should I ask? I also put this query in "Vista.security". I'm
> attempting to make this new Vista machine useable, and this
> "installation.setup" seems the best place for new confused Vista users. I
> suspect that my questions and the solutions that have been provided have
> also helped other readers. I don't want to abuse this resource, so any
> guidance is appreciated.
>
> Paul
>
> =================
>
> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> Not a setup install question.
>
> CH
>
> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>> When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
>> appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select
>> all",
>> "create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
>> text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
>> wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or
>> is
>> it some IE7 option?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Paul

Adam Albright

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen/vista.general group question
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:46:14 -0500, "Chad Harris"
<vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote:

>Paul H--
>
>Where should I ask? The Vista general group. I think you haven't seen a
>list of the groups. Rt. click the toolbar of Win Mail>Customize>Add the
>"newsgroup icon">click it>and type vista in search and you'll see a list of
>newsgroup categories MSFT set up.

Chad, you're such a idiot. You just fall off the pumpkin truck? Did it
ever occur to you that everyone doesn't use Win Mail that you
constantly keep referring to? Some people actually use real email
clients and news readers, not Microsoft toys.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Can't copy from an IE7 screen
> When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
> appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select all",
> "create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
> text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
> wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or is
> it some IE7 option?

Starting this thread over because neither the abuse, nor the recommendation
to try turning off UAC does anything to resolve the issue.

What you are seeing is obviously not supposed to happen. Most likely, it
happens because of some add-on to IE that is interfering with operations.
Presuming that this happens all the time and that you do not have a mouse
with a faulty button, I would do the following:
1. In IE, click Tools:Options
2. Click the Programs tab
3. Click Manage add-ons
4. Disable all the add-ons in IE
5. Close IE
6. Restart IE and try again. If the problem goes away, it was definitely an
add-on issue. In that case, go re-enable the add-ons one at a time, testing
the behavior in between. When you find the faulty one, delete it if it will
let you, or leave it disabled if not.
BobS

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen
Paul,

After reading Chad's non-responsive help and his rant, one has to wonder if
he simply put his mind to providing a suggestion to help you with your
problem - wouldn't he be more productive? I think so....

But that aside, I have read that the Google Toolbar (if installed) may be
the problem you're experiencing. Now you may have it turned off but if it's
been installed you may want to uninstall it and see if the problem goes
away. The Google Toolbar is loaded with many other downloads and you may not
have noticed.

I did a quick Google search and found several posts that may help and you
can do the same. I used "right click doesn't work in IE7" as the search
criteria and that turned up a number of interesting posts. Here's one......
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1303764&page=1

Bob S.

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> When I right-click on my IE7 screen - Google for example - the pane that
> appears ignores anything I left or right click on it - I cannot "select
> all",
> "create shortcut", or any other choice that is offered. Copy highlighted
> text or paste into fields also is ignored. I use CA Security Suite - I
> wonder if that, or some Vista Security issue, is causing the problem. Or
> is
> it some IE7 option?
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Chad Harris

Re: Can't copy from an IE7 screen
Paul aside from the fact this has nothing in the world to do with a Vista
setup/install and that it is routine to steer questions to the appropriate
group and has been done for over fif**** years on MSFT newsgroups and I see
it being done right now on at least 50 of the most popular ones by numbers,
I don't understand your question.

When you say IE7 screen do you mean an IE 7 browser window?

If so, why would you be ***right clicking it to select all/create short cut,
copy highlighted text or paste into fields in the very first place?

Taking these one by one--if you have an IE browser window open, and correct
me if that's not what you mean when you use the term "on my IE7 screen". if
you want to

select all>click edit>select all or simply hit ctrl+a

shortcut>simply drag the "e" in the IE address bar in Vista; from the upper
rt. corner in XP

copy highlighted text>ctrl+a

paste+ ctrl+c

If I missed your point, I'm sorry. If none of the above works, I'd use the
"side effect method" to disable all add ins and add one at a time.

If I'm missing the boat on your term IE7 screen which I'm calling the IE7
browser window, please let me know.