How can I totally remove windows vista

valanderson45

How can I totally remove windows vista
Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows Vista on it when I got it. It is a new
computer. It is the new smaller version, and I can upgrade to the full
version if I want, but I want to totally remove it and use Windows XP
instead. I tried just installing windows XP but it say that I can't becuse I
have a new windows program.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How can I totally remove windows vista
You would need to perform a complete "clean install"
as outlined here:

Clean Install Windows XP

It would be smart to first check the support web site of the
manufacturer of your computer for Windows XP drivers
which are required for your laptop's unique hardware.

Also, be aware that removing the preinstalled Windows
Vista O/S from you new laptop will likely void any
support or warranty from the laptop's manufacturer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"valanderson45" wrote:

Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows Vista on it when I got it. It is a new
computer. It is the new smaller version, and I can upgrade to the full
version if I want, but I want to totally remove it and use Windows XP
instead. I tried just installing windows XP but it say that I can't becuse I
have a new windows program.
BigJim

Re: How can I totally remove windows vista
what I did was purchase a new hard drive and installed xp on it.

"valanderson45" <valanderson45@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows Vista on it when I got it. It is a
> new
> computer. It is the new smaller version, and I can upgrade to the full
> version if I want, but I want to totally remove it and use Windows XP
> instead. I tried just installing windows XP but it say that I can't
> becuse I
> have a new windows program.

Bruce Chambers

valanderson45 wrote:
> Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows Vista on it when I got it. It is a new
> computer. It is the new smaller version, and I can upgrade to the full
> version if I want, but I want to totally remove it and use Windows XP
> instead. I tried just installing windows XP but it say that I can't becuse I
> have a new windows program.

You cannot downgrade to an older OS from within Vista (or from any
other operating system that I've ever heard of, for that matter). You'd
have to perform a clean installation, formatting the hard drive first.

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Then the backed up data can be restored and applications (Those
that are WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions, however, of
which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's
diverse components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer
about the availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an
OEM-installed operating system and replacing it with another will almost
invariably void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the
warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before
getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there will be the
additional cost involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new
computer.

You should return the computer to the seller and exchange it for
one with WinXP, if possible.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Paul Randall

> valanderson45 wrote:
>> Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows Vista on it when I got it. It is a
>> new computer. It is the new smaller version, and I can upgrade to the
>> full version if I want, but I want to totally remove it and use Windows
>> XP instead. I tried just installing windows XP but it say that I can't
>> becuse I have a new windows program.

> You cannot downgrade to an older OS from within Vista (or from any other
> operating system that I've ever heard of, for that matter). You'd have to
> perform a clean installation, formatting the hard drive first.

Downgrade rights:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf

-Paul Randall

> After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
> installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
> offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
> of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>
> Then the backed up data can be restored and applications (Those that
> are WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.
>
> There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions, however, of
> which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
> model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
> no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's diverse
> components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer about the
> availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an OEM-installed
> operating system and replacing it with another will almost invariably void
> any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the warranty. You
> would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before getting any
> support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the computer's manufacturer
> for specifics. Thirdly, there will be the additional cost involved in
> purchasing a WinXP license for this new computer.
>
> You should return the computer to the seller and exchange it for one
> with WinXP, if possible.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: How can I totally remove windows vista
Paul;
You and Bruce are referring to different things.
Bruce is talking about a downgrade process which does not exist.
A Clean Installation of Windows XP needs to be performed. to get to
Windows XP.

The link you gave primarily refers to possible downgrade rights a user
may have depending on their specific license.

However your link may still apply depending on the specifics of the
OPs license.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message

> Downgrade rights:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf
>
> -Paul Randall

Bruce Chambers

Paul Randall wrote:

> Downgrade rights:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf
>
> -Paul Randall

True, but not irrelevant to the question asked...