Installing on a SATA drive

AnnFenniman

Installing on a SATA drive
I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have tried
it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that INTEL
had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me that
there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?

Thanks
Richard Urban

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
When I do a fresh install on my personal computer I have to load the SATA
drivers twice. Once at the initial setup screen (to enable the setup program
to initially access the drive) and again after the first reboot (I guess
this actually installs them on the hard drive). You may have to do the same
also.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have
> tried
> it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that
> INTEL
> had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me
> that
> there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
>
> Thanks

AnnFenniman

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
Thanks, but I never get past the initial setup screen, never get to re-boot.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> When I do a fresh install on my personal computer I have to load the SATA
> drivers twice. Once at the initial setup screen (to enable the setup program
> to initially access the drive) and again after the first reboot (I guess
> this actually installs them on the hard drive). You may have to do the same
> also.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate 320GB
> > drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller. The
> > upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can see
> > the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have
> > tried
> > it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have the
> > latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that
> > INTEL
> > had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
> > install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me
> > that
> > there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
> >
> > Thanks

Richard Urban

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
You have to browse to where you have the SATA drivers stored (floppy, CD or
USB Thumb drive). They must also be Vista compatible drivers. Make
absolutely you have the correct drivers "extracted" to the device you want
to use to install them. If the drivers are in a compressed format (.zip or
an executable form) you can't install them. You need the individual group of
files.

--

> Thanks, but I never get past the initial setup screen, never get to
> re-boot.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> When I do a fresh install on my personal computer I have to load the SATA
>> drivers twice. Once at the initial setup screen (to enable the setup
>> program
>> to initially access the drive) and again after the first reboot (I guess
>> this actually installs them on the hard drive). You may have to do the
>> same
>> also.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a new Seagate
>> >320GB
>> > drive. I have an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 8280ER ICH5R SATA controller.
>> > The
>> > upgrade advisor says that this config is okay and the installation can
>> > see
>> > the drive and even deleted a partition and formated the drive. I have
>> > tried
>> > it with both the SATA RAID enabled and disabled thru the BIOS. I have
>> > the
>> > latest BIOS (P34) on the MB. I have loaded the last ICH5R drivers that
>> > INTEL
>> > had available on it's website (a floppy install 5.1 although the direct
>> > install goes up to 5.5). No matter what I try the installation tells me
>> > that
>> > there is "No suitable volume available". How do I get this to work?
>> >
>> > Thanks

AnnFenniman

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
Thanks again, but I've covered all that stuff. If someone could tell me a
"work around" or where to get updated drivers I'd appreciate it. Also, if
someone could answer why the upgrade advisor told me that my hardware was up
to Vista specs, I'd really appreciate that!

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> You have to browse to where you have the SATA drivers stored (floppy, CD or
> USB Thumb drive). They must also be Vista compatible drivers. Make
> absolutely you have the correct drivers "extracted" to the device you want
> to use to install them. If the drivers are in a compressed format (.zip or
> an executable form) you can't install them. You need the individual group of
> files.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, but I never get past the initial setup screen, never get to
> > re-boot.
> >
> > "Richard Urban" wrote:
> >
> >> When I do a fresh install on my personal computer I have to load the SATA
> >> drivers twice. Once at the initial setup screen (to enable the setup
> >> program
> >> to initially access the drive) and again after the first reboot (I guess
> >> this actually installs them on the hard drive). You may have to do the
> >> same
> >> also.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Richard Urban

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
The update advisor is not an end all program. It will tell you that you M/B
is OK - assuming you have the correct drivers. Try the M/B manufacturers web
site of the site of the computer manufacturer.

All else fails - call them!

--

> Thanks again, but I've covered all that stuff. If someone could tell me a
> "work around" or where to get updated drivers I'd appreciate it. Also, if
> someone could answer why the upgrade advisor told me that my hardware was
> up
> to Vista specs, I'd really appreciate that!
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> You have to browse to where you have the SATA drivers stored (floppy, CD
>> or
>> USB Thumb drive). They must also be Vista compatible drivers. Make
>> absolutely you have the correct drivers "extracted" to the device you
>> want
>> to use to install them. If the drivers are in a compressed format (.zip
>> or
>> an executable form) you can't install them. You need the individual group
>> of
>> files.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, but I never get past the initial setup screen, never get to
>> > re-boot.

AnnFenniman

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
I've been to their website many times and the latest drivers do not work.
They no longer support the board and will not do phone support for it.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> The update advisor is not an end all program. It will tell you that you M/B
> is OK - assuming you have the correct drivers. Try the M/B manufacturers web
> site of the site of the computer manufacturer.
>
> All else fails - call them!
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks again, but I've covered all that stuff. If someone could tell me a
> > "work around" or where to get updated drivers I'd appreciate it. Also, if
> > someone could answer why the upgrade advisor told me that my hardware was
> > up
> > to Vista specs, I'd really appreciate that!
> >
> > "Richard Urban" wrote:
> >
> >> You have to browse to where you have the SATA drivers stored (floppy, CD
> >> or
> >> USB Thumb drive). They must also be Vista compatible drivers. Make
> >> absolutely you have the correct drivers "extracted" to the device you
> >> want
> >> to use to install them. If the drivers are in a compressed format (.zip
> >> or
> >> an executable form) you can't install them. You need the individual group
> >> of
> >> files.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Vic Baron

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
PMFJI but when you initially start the setup process you should get a prompt
to hit F6( I believe it's F6) if you want to install any 3rd party drivers -
this is where you should install the SATA drivers the *first* time. After
that, as someone said, you might need to repeat that at reboot.

If you ARE installing the drivers at that point and Vista still doesn't see
the volume, there are 3 choices - get a new motherboard, locate new drivers
for the onboard controller or buy an add on controller card.

HTH,

Vic

> I've been to their website many times and the latest drivers do not work.
> They no longer support the board and will not do phone support for it.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> The update advisor is not an end all program. It will tell you that you
>> M/B
>> is OK - assuming you have the correct drivers. Try the M/B manufacturers
>> web
>> site of the site of the computer manufacturer.
>>
>> All else fails - call them!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks again, but I've covered all that stuff. If someone could tell me
>> > "work around" or where to get updated drivers I'd appreciate it. Also,
>> > if
>> > someone could answer why the upgrade advisor told me that my hardware
>> > was
>> > up
>> > to Vista specs, I'd really appreciate that!

AnnFenniman

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
Where do you see an F6 prompt? After I put in the product key a screen comes
up showing the drives; there is a install drivers option which you click on.
I'm Vista not XP.

"Vic Baron" wrote:

> PMFJI but when you initially start the setup process you should get a prompt
> to hit F6( I believe it's F6) if you want to install any 3rd party drivers -
> this is where you should install the SATA drivers the *first* time. After
> that, as someone said, you might need to repeat that at reboot.
>
> If you ARE installing the drivers at that point and Vista still doesn't see
> the volume, there are 3 choices - get a new motherboard, locate new drivers
> for the onboard controller or buy an add on controller card.
>
> HTH,
>
> Vic
>
> "AnnFenniman" <AnnFenniman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been to their website many times and the latest drivers do not work.
> > They no longer support the board and will not do phone support for it.
> >
> > "Richard Urban" wrote:
> >
> >> The update advisor is not an end all program. It will tell you that you
> >> M/B
> >> is OK - assuming you have the correct drivers. Try the M/B manufacturers
> >> web
> >> site of the site of the computer manufacturer.
> >>
> >> All else fails - call them!
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Richard Urban

Re: Installing on a SATA drive
Vista install does NOT provide the usual F6 prompt. The installer brings you
to a screen where you should see the installed drives. If the drives are not
visible there is a radio button to install drivers.