Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)

=?Utf-8?B?Y3JhaWdjb25maXJl?=

Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)
Everything was running great with vista ultimate (clean install) until two
days ago. Two days ago I have my computer running meanwhile I decide to play
xbox360. I notice the computer sees the 360 and prompts me to install Media
Center (Media Extender). I did, even though it took for ever to install.
And, now vista is slow to boot (5mins vs 10secs before), IE7 takes forever to
load, basically everything is bogged down now.

How do I use system restore? Better yet will that even work. I could care
less about the 360 and pc seeing each other. I'd rather have my fast machine
back.
Chad Harris

Re: Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)
How then is this an install issue? You have said it installed and was
running sweet? This is a general group problem.

I cannot predict how system restore will work but here's what I'd do: I can
tell you how to use system restore, but then I'm going to tell you what I'd
do if I were it your box.

How to use and turn on system restore:

Type the word restore above the start button>click system restoer when it
pops up>click system protection>click the system restore button and follow
the wizard.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb3f01033.mspx

Here's what I'd do if I were at your box though:

I'd run startup repair if you have a Vista DVD in your hands ( a lot of
people don't thanks to MSFT forcing OEM sellers not to ship one) and you do
that this way: You also have the opportunity to run system restore from
within Win RE's startup repair interface.

If you have a Vista DVD, you can try the Recovery link that allows you to
use Win RE's Startup Repair or if no joy, System Restore from there which
sometimes works when F8's Safe Mode>System Restore options (all 4 should be
tried) won't.

You can run Startup Repair by putting your Vista DVD in after the
language screen in setup. You can also run System Restore from the same
location.

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
the Lock button, and then click Restart.

This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
(sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order.

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.

3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
repair process.

7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair
2) System Restore
3) Complete PC Restore
___________________

You could also:

Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

You will need this reference:

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

The command to use for system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

The reason for doing this is one of these choices may work, when the other
doesn't. My experience is that people do not fully try F8 when they think
or have said they have. It is that they can almost always reach Windows
Advanced Options though.

Good luck,

CH

"craigconfire" <craigconfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everything was running great with vista ultimate (clean install) until two
> days ago. Two days ago I have my computer running meanwhile I decide to
> play
> xbox360. I notice the computer sees the 360 and prompts me to install
> Media
> Center (Media Extender). I did, even though it took for ever to install.
> And, now vista is slow to boot (5mins vs 10secs before), IE7 takes forever
> load, basically everything is bogged down now.
>
> How do I use system restore? Better yet will that even work. I could
> care
> less about the 360 and pc seeing each other. I'd rather have my fast
> machine
> back.

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1IEg=?=

RE: Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)
Boot from the Vista installation disk and when ask choose repair.

"craigconfire" wrote:

> Everything was running great with vista ultimate (clean install) until two
> days ago. Two days ago I have my computer running meanwhile I decide to play
> xbox360. I notice the computer sees the 360 and prompts me to install Media
> Center (Media Extender). I did, even though it took for ever to install.
> And, now vista is slow to boot (5mins vs 10secs before), IE7 takes forever to
> load, basically everything is bogged down now.
>
> How do I use system restore? Better yet will that even work. I could care
> less about the 360 and pc seeing each other. I'd rather have my fast machine
> back.

BobS

Re: Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)
Outstanding ! Now that was a great response and I'm not jerking you around
on this one. Good archive material that will be referenced many times in the
future I'm sure.

(and I know you don't give a dam(n) about what I think but I give credit
where credit is due - as well as a good verbal thrashing when needed.....)

Bob S.

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> two
>> days ago. Two days ago I have my computer running meanwhile I decide to
>> play
>> xbox360. I notice the computer sees the 360 and prompts me to install
>> Media
>> Center (Media Extender). I did, even though it took for ever to install.
>> And, now vista is slow to boot (5mins vs 10secs before), IE7 takes
>> forever to
>> load, basically everything is bogged down now.
>>
>> How do I use system restore? Better yet will that even work. I could
>> care
>> less about the 360 and pc seeing each other. I'd rather have my fast
>> machine
>> back.

Chad Harris

Re: Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)
Bob--

I really am in these groups to help and learn when I can. I thought it was
getting flooded here with non-setup topics, but I've had my say and there
isn't much further I can do about it except help where I can.

I had no propensity lol however to "run a group." I've tried to help on
these groups for WMP, Office XP, Outlook,Office, Vista when I can.

There are a lot of good users and plenty to learn in these groups for me,
and plenty of good links in them.

CH

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "craigconfire" <craigconfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Everything was running great with vista ultimate (clean install) until
>>> two
>>> days ago. Two days ago I have my computer running meanwhile I decide to
>>> play
>>> xbox360. I notice the computer sees the 360 and prompts me to install
>>> Media
>>> Center (Media Extender). I did, even though it took for ever to
>>> install.
>>> And, now vista is slow to boot (5mins vs 10secs before), IE7 takes
>>> forever to
>>> load, basically everything is bogged down now.
>>>
>>> How do I use system restore? Better yet will that even work. I could
>>> care
>>> less about the 360 and pc seeing each other. I'd rather have my fast
>>> back.

BobS

Re: Vista was running sweet, not so anymore (two weeks after install)
Chad,

And you have been helping - with gusto I might add - and your responses are
certainly appreciated. We know you aren't trying to run anything but you
were so ripe for the picking......couldn't refuse...;-)

Now that your skin has gotten a bit thicker and we've all kicked the slats
out of the crib - let's see if we can't get some Vista problems solved and
just maybe learn a bit more ourselves since we're gonna live with it - one
way or another....

Bob S.