Help FAT32 convert to NTFS

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFBlZQ==?=

Help FAT32 convert to NTFS
I have an Acer notebook and this has an 80 GB HD partitioned as 2 40GB. They
are also FAT32, I have tried to convert these to NTFS using CMD but I get the
following message "The current volume of the file system is FAT32.
Enter current volume label for drive C:

Anyone have any ideas on what the hell I am meant to do next please?
Jonathan Yaniv

Re: Help FAT32 convert to NTFS
Yes,

It wants a drive label, like a name for the drive, type "vista" and press
enter.

Then it will work.

--

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows Liveâ„¢ Butterfly Expert

Visit the ButterflySays Blog at
http://spaces.msn.com/ButterflySays/

"Jay Pee" <Jay Pee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Acer notebook and this has an 80 GB HD partitioned as 2 40GB.
>They
> are also FAT32, I have tried to convert these to NTFS using CMD but I get
> the
> following message "The current volume of the file system is FAT32.
> Enter current volume label for drive C:
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what the hell I am meant to do next please?

Jawade

Re: Help FAT32 convert to NTFS
In article <OvBVe4FWHHA.1036@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Jonathan Yaniv <yaniv.jonathan@gmail.com> says...
> "Jay Pee" <Jay Pee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have an Acer notebook and this has an 80 GB HD partitioned as 2 40GB.
> > They
> > are also FAT32, I have tried to convert these to NTFS using CMD but I get
> > the
> > following message "The current volume of the file system is FAT32.
> > Enter current volume label for drive C:
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas on what the hell I am meant to do next please?

> Yes,
>
> It wants a drive label, like a name for the drive, type "vista" and press
> enter.
>
> Then it will work.

No, he have to type the current label. Look at a "dir" or a "label"
to te exists labelname and use it.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
Squibbly

"Jawade" <Henk_Jawade@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.204ad6afa4cd2eed989687@news.microsoft.com ...
> In article <OvBVe4FWHHA.1036@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Jonathan Yaniv
> <yaniv.jonathan@gmail.com> says...
>> "Jay Pee" <Jay Pee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > I have an Acer notebook and this has an 80 GB HD partitioned as 2 40GB.
>> > They
>> > are also FAT32, I have tried to convert these to NTFS using CMD but I
>> > get
>> > the
>> > following message "The current volume of the file system is FAT32.
>> > Enter current volume label for drive C:
>> >
>> > Anyone have any ideas on what the hell I am meant to do next please?

>> Yes,
>>
>> It wants a drive label, like a name for the drive, type "vista" and press
>> enter.
>>
>> Then it will work.

> No, he have to type the current label. Look at a "dir" or a "label"
> to te exists labelname and use it.
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
> Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
> http://jawade.nl (Mirror op http://www.geocities.com/kolibrie.geo)
> Bootmanager, ClrMBR, DiskEditors, POP3lezer, Filebrowser, Kalender

thats not gonna convert it to ntfs

run ur command prompt as admin and use convert E: /fs:ntfs E: being the
drive you want to convert to ntfs

Rock

Re: Help FAT32 convert to NTFS
"Jay Pee" <Jay Pee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I have an Acer notebook and this has an 80 GB HD partitioned as 2 40GB.
>They
> are also FAT32, I have tried to convert these to NTFS using CMD but I get
> the
> following message "The current volume of the file system is FAT32.
> Enter current volume label for drive C:
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what the hell I am meant to do next please?

See this article, and pay attention to the part on realigning the partitions
before conversion.

CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

--