Data Segragation

Jay

Data Segragation
As a general rule since MS DOS 1.squat I have tried to segregate my data from
my OS and Apps by using different drives or partitions. Unfortunately this
has become more and more difficult as the “sophistication” of MS operating
systems increases. On a multiple HHD Vista system (one drive for the OS &
Apps, one drive for data, and an external drive for backup) how does one
redirect the “Documents and Setting” folder to a “Data” drive? If that’s not
workable, I know how to redirect the various “My Documents” directories to a
“Data” drive but not the “Shared Data”. Bottom line: On Vista is it possible
to move/redirect the “Documents and Setting” or “Shared Data” folders?
Richard Urban

Re: Data Segragation
Press Start

Click on your Account Name - upper right hand pane.

Right click on Documents | Properties

Click on "Location" tab

Click "Move"

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As a general rule since MS DOS 1.squat I have tried to segregate my data
> from
> my OS and Apps by using different drives or partitions. Unfortunately
> this
> has become more and more difficult as the “sophistication” of MS operating
> systems increases. On a multiple HHD Vista system (one drive for the OS &
> Apps, one drive for data, and an external drive for backup) how does one
> redirect the “Documents and Setting” folder to a “Data” drive? If that’s
> not
> workable, I know how to redirect the various “My Documents” directories to
> “Data” drive but not the “Shared Data”. Bottom line: On Vista is it
> possible
> to move/redirect the “Documents and Setting” or “Shared Data” folders?

Jay

Re: Data Segragation
Thanks Richard

As I understand it, that will redirect individual user “My Documents”
folders. I am preparing to do a clean load of Vista (my first experience
with Vista) and want to redirect the entire data depository (“Documents and
Settings” folder in XP) to a separate HDD. Short of that how do I redirect
the standard shared depository (“Shared Documents” in XP)

Jay

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Press Start
>
> Click on your Account Name - upper right hand pane.
>
> Right click on Documents | Properties
>
> Click on "Location" tab
>
> Click "Move"
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As a general rule since MS DOS 1.squat I have tried to segregate my data
> > from
> > my OS and Apps by using different drives or partitions. Unfortunately
> > this
> > has become more and more difficult as the “sophistication” of MS operating
> > systems increases. On a multiple HHD Vista system (one drive for the OS &
> > Apps, one drive for data, and an external drive for backup) how does one
> > redirect the “Documents and Setting” folder to a “Data” drive? If that’s
> > not
> > workable, I know how to redirect the various “My Documents” directories to
> > “Data” drive but not the “Shared Data”. Bottom line: On Vista is it
> > possible
> > to move/redirect the “Documents and Setting” or “Shared Data” folders?

Rick Rogers

Re: Data Segragation
Hi Jay,

> As a general rule since MS DOS 1.squat I have tried to segregate my data
> from
> my OS and Apps by using different drives or partitions. Unfortunately
> this
> has become more and more difficult as the “sophistication” of MS operating
> systems increases.

Not really, in both XP and Vista the user's default stores can both be
easily moved from the properties dialog.

> On a multiple HHD Vista system (one drive for the OS &
> Apps, one drive for data, and an external drive for backup) how does one
> redirect the “Documents and Setting” folder to a “Data” drive?

One doesn't, at least not easily. XP's "Documents and Settings" or Vista's
"User" directories are more than just data storage paths. They contain each
user's profile, customization, and registry information (ntuser.dat). These
environmental settings are determined at setup. Even in a domain a local
profile is created for each user of a system.

> If that’s not workable, I know how to redirect the various “My Documents”
> directories to a
> “Data” drive but not the “Shared Data”. Bottom line: On Vista is it
> possible
> to move/redirect the “Documents and Setting” or “Shared Data” folders?

There is no "Documents and Settings" in Vista, that would be a junction
point to redirect applications to C:\Users. This critical dorectory is not
movable. What *is* movable is the user's data folders and the shared
(public) data folders, but not the main user directory itself. Again, these
can be moved from the properties dialog of each data folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org