Vista dual boot with xp pro x64

Dayfd

Vista dual boot with xp pro x64
Good Evening, I have been having a small issue trying to get Vista to install
on my home built machine. Here are the stats:

K9n SLI Platimun
AMD 4400 x2
dual seagate 160gb raptors (sata) as seperate drives (no striping or raid)
dual 7600 Nvidia graphics cards (running SLI)
2 GB DDR2 800
Lightscribe DVD multi drive
XP Pro x64

Problem. I am trying to install Vista on one of the Raptors from within the
XP Pro environment. I am able to get past the intial set up, and down load.
The computer restarts and hangs in the black screen with the green Microsoft
progress bar. It seems that all HD activity stops. And there it sits, for
hours. I have plugged away at various forums, but nothing seems quite
correct. I notice that perhaps MSI mother boards might have an issue, and I
have checked for drivers. In fact I load one up in the vista install but it
doesn't change the out come.
I have tried stopping antivirus (AVG), all non essential services, I even un
plugged the Hard drive with XP on it, and plugged the other drive into the
SATA port trying to install Vista from a DVD boot up. Same exact issue. I
am thinking Vista is having issues reading the hard drive? Anyone else have
this issue and found a solution?

--
Dayfd, Seattle Wa.
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista dual boot with xp pro x64
If you want dual boot, just boot from the Vista DVD and install to the
raptor you want. It can avoid any possibility of confusion if you name the
raptors before installing Vista.

You don't say if you are trying to install x64 or x86 Vista, and it may be
an attempt to configure an "upgrade" from x64 XP to x86 Vista that is
causing the problem.

"Dayfd" <Dayfd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good Evening, I have been having a small issue trying to get Vista to
> install
> on my home built machine. Here are the stats:
>
> K9n SLI Platimun
> AMD 4400 x2
> dual seagate 160gb raptors (sata) as seperate drives (no striping or raid)
> dual 7600 Nvidia graphics cards (running SLI)
> 2 GB DDR2 800
> Lightscribe DVD multi drive
> XP Pro x64
>
> Problem. I am trying to install Vista on one of the Raptors from within
> the
> XP Pro environment. I am able to get past the intial set up, and down
> load.
> The computer restarts and hangs in the black screen with the green
> Microsoft
> progress bar. It seems that all HD activity stops. And there it sits,
> for
> hours. I have plugged away at various forums, but nothing seems quite
> correct. I notice that perhaps MSI mother boards might have an issue, and
> have checked for drivers. In fact I load one up in the vista install but
> it
> doesn't change the out come.
> I have tried stopping antivirus (AVG), all non essential services, I even
> un
> plugged the Hard drive with XP on it, and plugged the other drive into the
> SATA port trying to install Vista from a DVD boot up. Same exact issue.
> am thinking Vista is having issues reading the hard drive? Anyone else
> have
> this issue and found a solution?
>
> --
> Dayfd, Seattle Wa.

John Barnes

Re: Vista dual boot with xp pro x64
How is you BIOS set up for the drives? Set to SATA controller to IDE mode.
Are you formatting your drive before the install? Advanced button, does
quick format only. Are you supplying the controller driver for SATA?

"Dayfd" <Dayfd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good Evening, I have been having a small issue trying to get Vista to
> install
> on my home built machine. Here are the stats:
>
> K9n SLI Platimun
> AMD 4400 x2
> dual seagate 160gb raptors (sata) as seperate drives (no striping or raid)
> dual 7600 Nvidia graphics cards (running SLI)
> 2 GB DDR2 800
> Lightscribe DVD multi drive
> XP Pro x64
>
> Problem. I am trying to install Vista on one of the Raptors from within
> the
> XP Pro environment. I am able to get past the intial set up, and down
> load.
> The computer restarts and hangs in the black screen with the green
> Microsoft
> progress bar. It seems that all HD activity stops. And there it sits,
> for
> hours. I have plugged away at various forums, but nothing seems quite
> correct. I notice that perhaps MSI mother boards might have an issue, and
> have checked for drivers. In fact I load one up in the vista install but
> it
> doesn't change the out come.
> I have tried stopping antivirus (AVG), all non essential services, I even
> un
> plugged the Hard drive with XP on it, and plugged the other drive into the
> SATA port trying to install Vista from a DVD boot up. Same exact issue.
> am thinking Vista is having issues reading the hard drive? Anyone else
> have
> this issue and found a solution?
>
> --
> Dayfd, Seattle Wa.

Dayfd

Re: Vista dual boot with xp pro x64
I am trying to install x86 vista ultimate. The drive is formatted (ntfs) I
have tried to load the drivers for the sata without any joy. I have left
that drive raw as well and tried to install from both xp and the DVD. Same
thing every time. Intial download and expanding but the restart hangs at the
the microsoft corp. screen. It has to be something with the hard drives I am
thinking. I will try the bios, Haven't monkeyed with those yet. Thank for
the idea, stand by....
--
Dayfd, Seattle Wa.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> How is you BIOS set up for the drives? Set to SATA controller to IDE mode.
> Are you formatting your drive before the install? Advanced button, does
> quick format only. Are you supplying the controller driver for SATA?
>
> "Dayfd" <Dayfd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good Evening, I have been having a small issue trying to get Vista to
> > install
> > on my home built machine. Here are the stats:
> >
> > K9n SLI Platimun
> > AMD 4400 x2
> > dual seagate 160gb raptors (sata) as seperate drives (no striping or raid)
> > dual 7600 Nvidia graphics cards (running SLI)
> > 2 GB DDR2 800
> > Lightscribe DVD multi drive
> > XP Pro x64
> >
> > Problem. I am trying to install Vista on one of the Raptors from within
> > the
> > XP Pro environment. I am able to get past the intial set up, and down
> > load.
> > The computer restarts and hangs in the black screen with the green
> > Microsoft
> > progress bar. It seems that all HD activity stops. And there it sits,
> > for
> > hours. I have plugged away at various forums, but nothing seems quite
> > correct. I notice that perhaps MSI mother boards might have an issue, and
> > have checked for drivers. In fact I load one up in the vista install but
> > it
> > doesn't change the out come.
> > I have tried stopping antivirus (AVG), all non essential services, I even
> > un
> > plugged the Hard drive with XP on it, and plugged the other drive into the
> > SATA port trying to install Vista from a DVD boot up. Same exact issue.
> > am thinking Vista is having issues reading the hard drive? Anyone else
> > have
> > this issue and found a solution?
> >
> > --
> > Dayfd, Seattle Wa.

Jane C

Re: Vista dual boot with xp pro x64
Hello Dafyd,

Can you disconnect one of your graphics cards before attempting the Vista
install?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User