Using Vista Retail With OEM License

John

Using Vista Retail With OEM License
I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable to
effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
(trial) software.

Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista Business
cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my OEM to validate
the clean install?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Using Vista Retail With OEM License
No. An OEM product key for Windows Vista
will only work with an OEM installation disc.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message news:uFwCjgFCIHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable to
effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
(trial) software.

Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista Business
cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my OEM to validate
the clean install?

John

Re: Using Vista Retail With OEM License
Thank you, Carey.

> No. An OEM product key for Windows Vista
> will only work with an OEM installation disc.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable
> effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
> (trial) software.
>
> Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista
> Business
> cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my OEM to
> validate
> the clean install?

Rick Rogers

Re: Using Vista Retail With OEM License
Hi John,

No, the OEM Product Key won't work with a retail disk. You'd need to locate
a generic OEM Vista DVD to do that. Either that or install with the media
you have and then uninstall unwanted software.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable to
>effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
>(trial) software.
>
> Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista
> Business cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my OEM
> to validate the clean install?

John

Re: Using Vista Retail With OEM License
So, for exmple, if I borrow an OEM (clean, not added software) Vista
Business DVD and install that I can then use my Lenovo OEM Product Key to
activate it ?

> Hi John,
>
> No, the OEM Product Key won't work with a retail disk. You'd need to
> locate a generic OEM Vista DVD to do that. Either that or install with the
> media you have and then uninstall unwanted software.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>>I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable
>>to effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
>>(trial) software.
>>
>> Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista
>> Business cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my OEM
>> to validate the clean install?

Bruce Chambers

John wrote:
> I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable to
> effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
> (trial) software.

How does the presence of trial software prevent a clean installation?
If the OEM's provided recovery method isn't working, you should contact
the OEM for assistance and warranty support.

> Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista Business
> cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my OEM to validate
> the clean install?

No, that wouldn't be doable. Product Keys are bound to the specific
type and language of CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade)
with which they are purchased. For example, a Vista Home OEM Product Key
won't work for any retail version of Vista Home, or for any version of
Vista Business or Ultimate, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key
cannot be used with a full version DVD, and vice versa. An OEM Product
Key will not work to install a retail product. An Italian Product Key
will not work with an English DVD. Bottom line: Product Keys and DVD
types cannot be mixed & matched.

You should be able, however, to borrow an unbranded, generic OEM DVD
and use it with your OEM Product Key.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Rick Rogers

Re: Using Vista Retail With OEM License
Hi John,

As Bruce has stated, that should work fine.

--

> So, for exmple, if I borrow an OEM (clean, not added software) Vista
> Business DVD and install that I can then use my Lenovo OEM Product Key to
> activate it ?

>> Hi John,
>>
>> No, the OEM Product Key won't work with a retail disk. You'd need to
>> locate a generic OEM Vista DVD to do that. Either that or install with
>> the media you have and then uninstall unwanted software.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a valid OEM license for Vista Business. Unfortunately I am unable
>>>to effect a clean install with the OEM provided disks due to the included
>>>(trial) software.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use (borrow) a retail Vista DVD and install Vista
>>> Business cleanly and then use my valid Vista Business license from my
>>> OEM to validate the clean install?

John

Re: Using Vista Retail With OEM License
Thank you, Bruce. I will contact Lenovo and see if a "clean" OEM Vista DVD
is available. I already have the DVD with all the crapware.

FYI, from my investigation of the registry, it's almost impossible to fully
uninstall Office 2007. Even MS Installer Cleanup utility says to not
uninstall Office 2007 so there must be something going on... like hampering
the function of previous Office versions? (no, not paranoid, but it does
make good business sense). There are registry artifacts and I have a feeling
they're interfering with my Office 2000 installation (not the Outlook
issue). I have a clean install of Vista Home Basic that works flawlessly
with Office 2000 (excluding Outlook) so I suspect one or more of the "added
value" software gifts from Lenovo for the problem. Yes, I can't be certain
until a do a truly clean install of Vista Business. I'll let you know if I'm
crazy or spot-on.