Dual boot with Vista

Lil 1

Dual boot with Vista
Hello all I need help. I have an HDD partitioned with Vista on (c) & XP on
(D) The PC will not give me the dual boot option. I've tried to fix the mbr
in xp. I've even tried to swith witch partition I put the 2 OS'S on, with no
luck can anyone help me please.
Jawade

Re: Dual boot with Vista
In article <AE5E7835-B96E-4405-A535-FEF53C6864DA@microsoft.com>, <=?Utf-8?B?TGlsIDE=?= <Lil 1@discussions.microsoft.com>> says...
> Hello all I need help. I have an HDD partitioned with Vista on (c) & XP on
> (D) The PC will not give me the dual boot option. I've tried to fix the mbr
> in xp. I've even tried to swith witch partition I put the 2 OS'S on, with no
> luck can anyone help me please.

Try VistaBootPro.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
AJR

Re: Dual boot with Vista
You do not specify the proceedure in installing the OSs. XP should be
installed first followed by installing Vista from within XP.

VistaBootPro is good recommendation.

"Lil 1" <Lil 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all I need help. I have an HDD partitioned with Vista on (c) & XP on
> (D) The PC will not give me the dual boot option. I've tried to fix the
> mbr
> in xp. I've even tried to swith witch partition I put the 2 OS'S on, with
> no
> luck can anyone help me please.

Member

Location: on the moon
uncle_fred will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you had installed xp first then vista you wouldn't have any problem but this might help you ?

How to dual-boot Vista with XP - step-by-step guide with screenshots | APC Magazine
Lil 1

Re: Dual boot with Vista
Thanks all. I'll reformatt & install XP on C & Vista on D. I'll reply with
the out come.

"AJR" wrote:

> You do not specify the proceedure in installing the OSs. XP should be
> installed first followed by installing Vista from within XP.
>
> VistaBootPro is good recommendation.
>

> "Lil 1" <Lil 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all I need help. I have an HDD partitioned with Vista on (c) & XP on
> > (D) The PC will not give me the dual boot option. I've tried to fix the
> > mbr
> > in xp. I've even tried to swith witch partition I put the 2 OS'S on, with
> > no
> > luck can anyone help me please.

Paul Randall

Re: Dual boot with Vista

"uncle_fred" <uncle_fred.2y1u0e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:uncle_fred.2y1u0e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> if you had installed xp first then vista you wouldn't have any problem
> but this might help you ?
>
> 'How to dual-boot Vista with XP - step-by-step guide with screenshots |
> APC Magazine' (http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista)
>

> --
> uncle_fred

They have another tutorial for dual booting with Vista installed first:
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

-Paul Randall

John Barnes

Re: Dual boot with Vista
You can do that, but later if you decide to remove XP you are going to
regret it. You should install XP on D first, then install Vista on C. Both
should be primary partitions and format the Vista partition when you install
(advanced button)
..

> Thanks all. I'll reformatt & install XP on C & Vista on D. I'll reply with
> the out come.
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
>> You do not specify the proceedure in installing the OSs. XP should be
>> installed first followed by installing Vista from within XP.
>>
>> VistaBootPro is good recommendation.
>>

>> "Lil 1" <Lil 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all I need help. I have an HDD partitioned with Vista on (c) & XP
>> > on
>> > (D) The PC will not give me the dual boot option. I've tried to fix the
>> > mbr
>> > in xp. I've even tried to swith witch partition I put the 2 OS'S on,
>> > with
>> > no
>> > luck can anyone help me please.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Dual boot with Vista
Lil 1 wrote:
> Hello all I need help. I have an HDD partitioned with Vista on (c) & XP on
> (D) The PC will not give me the dual boot option. I've tried to fix the mbr
> in xp. I've even tried to swith witch partition I put the 2 OS'S on, with no
> luck can anyone help me please.

The older OS should be installed first; otherwise, you'll have trouble
creating a dual-boot scenario without using 3rd-party products.

However, dual-booting is no longer necessary in most situations.

Why not download a Virtual Machine application, such as Microsoft's
VirtualPC 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?) or
Innotek's VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) and run WinXP and your
legacy applications within a virtual computer. Both are free and work
with Vista. (Microsoft does not support the use of VirtualPC 2007 on
Vista Home editions, but several people have reported that it works just
fine.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: