How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installing

wardog50

How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installing
Hi I recently purchased a new pc which came with Vista home premium pre
installed and licenced. Unfortunatly they did not supply a disk with the
operating system so now after having to uninstall Vista due to it becoming
corrupt I am left with no way of re-installing it.

Is there anywhere where I can download the operating system using my current
licence as I am loathed to have to purchase it again
Richard G. Harper

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installing
The company that sold you the PC is responsible for providing some sort of
reinstall or recovery process. Contact them for details on how this works.

"wardog50" <wardog50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I recently purchased a new pc which came with Vista home premium pre
> installed and licenced. Unfortunatly they did not supply a disk with the
> operating system so now after having to uninstall Vista due to it becoming
> corrupt I am left with no way of re-installing it.
>
> Is there anywhere where I can download the operating system using my
> current
> licence as I am loathed to have to purchase it again

John Barnett MVP

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installing
They are obliged to provide an option for re-installing the operating system
should the need arise. This can be in the form of a set of recovery disks or
a recovery image installed on a hidden partition on your hard drive. I
suggest you first check your PC user manual to see if a hidden partition
exists and instructions are provided for you to run the install program and
re-install vista. If you can't find any information contact the company
concerned and ask where the recovery disks/image is. It is there
responsibility.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"wardog50" <wardog50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I recently purchased a new pc which came with Vista home premium pre
> installed and licenced. Unfortunatly they did not supply a disk with the
> operating system so now after having to uninstall Vista due to it becoming
> corrupt I am left with no way of re-installing it.
>
> Is there anywhere where I can download the operating system using my
> current
> licence as I am loathed to have to purchase it again

Paul Randall

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installing

"wardog50" <wardog50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I recently purchased a new pc which came with Vista home premium pre
> installed and licenced. Unfortunatly they did not supply a disk with the
> operating system so now after having to uninstall Vista due to it becoming
> corrupt I am left with no way of re-installing it.
>
> Is there anywhere where I can download the operating system using my
> current
> licence as I am loathed to have to purchase it again

On systems like yours with no recovery disc supplied, there is typically a
way for you to create a recovery disc, but a lot of people don't do it for
one reason or another. That recovery disc is created from info on the hard
drive; this info is in a partition on the hard drive which may be hidden -
it depends on the manufacturer. When you used to boot up, there should have
been a message on the screen telling you to press various function keys to
do various things. One of them is typically to recover your system to near
out-of-the-box condition. These boot-up options are typically stored in
your Master Boot Record. When you uninstalled Vista, you may have
overwritten the MBR, and you may have overwritten the recovery partition. I
have no way of knowing exactly how you did the uninstall. There is a chance
that both the MBR and recovery partition are OK. Try booting up and watch
for any messages about function keys and what they might do for you.

-Paul Randall

wardog50

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installin
Wont help as I have installed a licenced version ofXP Home edition since it
corupted. What I basically need to know is do I have to pay for another copy
of Vista now even though I have a licence for it.

Richard G. Harper

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installin
As I said, you need to contact the computer manufacturer and see how the
restore process works. They may be able to send or sell you discs, or you
may be out of luck, but only they can tell you which is which.

> Wont help as I have installed a licenced version ofXP Home edition since
> it
> corupted. What I basically need to know is do I have to pay for another
> copy
> of Vista now even though I have a licence for it.

Paul Randall

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installin
Some vendors like HP will sell a recovery disc for your particular model;
something like:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...340210&lang=en

I don't know what the fee is.

-Paul Randall

peter

Re: How do I re-install vista with no cd or dvd after un-installin
As everybody has mentioned you most likely have a hidden recovery
partition.......and you have a manual that tells you how to access that
hidden partition in order to reinstall Vista...which should format the HD
..wipe XP..and reinstall everything to as when 1st purchased.
Unless you also wiped that hidden partition off the HD.
peter