Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2007
rmberryman
 

Posts: n/a
Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first Windows
Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling me I MUST
do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to explain
that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the package
or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back). My
question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid installing all
the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more years.
THANK YOU for any info!
--
RMB
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2007
Carey Frisch [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
You can only upgrade Windows XP Professional
to either Windows Vista Business or Ultimate.
You can always uninstall certain Vista components in
the "Programs and Features" > "Turn Windows
features on or off" applet located in Vista's
new Control Panel.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

---------------------------------------------------------------

"rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first Windows
Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling me I MUST
do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to explain
that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the package
or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back). My
question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid installing all
the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more years.
THANK YOU for any info!
--
RMB
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
rmberryman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
Thank you, Carey... that's HALF good news! Being able to "turn off" unwanted
features is good, but it would be better if we could simply NOT INSTALL them,
rather than having them sit there and occupy disc space while being about as
useful as last week's newspaper. I DO appreciate your courtesy of replying.
It just upsets me that Microsoft is FORCING me to spend an extra hundred
bucks for features I wouldn't buy! The "Home Premium" version has everything
I want or need. Best wishes.
--
RMB


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You can only upgrade Windows XP Professional
> to either Windows Vista Business or Ultimate.
> You can always uninstall certain Vista components in
> the "Programs and Features" > "Turn Windows
> features on or off" applet located in Vista's
> new Control Panel.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
> As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first Windows
> Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling me I MUST
> do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to explain
> that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the package
> or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back). My
> question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid installing all
> the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more years.
> THANK YOU for any info!
> --
> RMB

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
Hi,

A custom upgrade will allow you to select what features you do and do not
want. Is there something in particular that you are trying to avoid? A
typical of Ultimate is fairly lean, so I'm curious.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
> As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first Windows
> Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling me I
> MUST
> do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to explain
> that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the
> package
> or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back). My
> question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid installing
> all
> the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more
> years.
> THANK YOU for any info!
> --
> RMB


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
Windows XP Pro to Windows Vista is a kind of downgrade and is not new
with Windows Vista.
Similar to windows 2000 will not upgrade to Windows XP Home:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/matrix.mspx
That is because you are going from a version intended for use in a
business environment to a home environment and has not been a valid
path..

Did you purchase Windows Vista Home Premium or upgrade?
If it is Upgrade, what is written on the front, top of the box under
"Upgrade"?
I think that explains the upgrade paths although I do not have that
version in front of me now.

If you post which features you do not want, you may be given specific
answers for removing/disabling those features..

Exactly what features in Windows Vista is driving your upgrade?
Some can be removed in the Programs and Features section in the
Control Panel.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
> As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first
> Windows
> Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling
> me I MUST
> do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to
> explain
> that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the
> package
> or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back).
> My
> question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid
> installing all
> the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few
> more years.
> THANK YOU for any info!
> --
> RMB


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
rmberryman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
Thanks, Rick...

I DON'T need the "business backup", or the "BitLocker and Drive encryption"
There is so much security stuff on our computers that it's becoming
ridiculous. The extra networking capability MIGHT be useful, because we DO
have a LAN (three computers). But I was told that Home Premium has no
trouble with a home-based LAN. It just bugs me that we are told we MUST pay
an extra hundred dollars (THREE hundred dollars in my case).

I like your answer better than the first response, because NOT installing
unwanted features is preferable to installing them and then turning them off
(which doesn't UNinstall them!).
--
RMB


"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A custom upgrade will allow you to select what features you do and do not
> want. Is there something in particular that you are trying to avoid? A
> typical of Ultimate is fairly lean, so I'm curious.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
> > As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first Windows
> > Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling me I
> > MUST
> > do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to explain
> > that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the
> > package
> > or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back). My
> > question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid installing
> > all
> > the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more
> > years.
> > THANK YOU for any info!
> > --
> > RMB

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
Hi,

The business backup in Ultimate is essentially the same as in Home Premium,
the only difference being that you have an option of doing a full image
backup, not just a file backup. It occupies no additional space or memory
unless you actually choose to use it (and actually, I would recommend that
you take advantage of this feature as a safeguard).

Bitlocker and Drive Encryption is a downloadable extra that you will qualify
for, but is not installed by default. Simply don't download it if you don't
want it. I don't use it either. Same goes for the rest of the Ultimate
extras.

The extra networking capability is in the additional capacity to connect to
a domain, something unlikely to be used in a home environment. The
capabilities of connecting to a workgroup lan is the same in all versions.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C0148939-66B5-4558-A343-D6898324F98F@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, Rick...
>
> I DON'T need the "business backup", or the "BitLocker and Drive
> encryption"
> There is so much security stuff on our computers that it's becoming
> ridiculous. The extra networking capability MIGHT be useful, because we
> DO
> have a LAN (three computers). But I was told that Home Premium has no
> trouble with a home-based LAN. It just bugs me that we are told we MUST
> pay
> an extra hundred dollars (THREE hundred dollars in my case).
>
> I like your answer better than the first response, because NOT installing
> unwanted features is preferable to installing them and then turning them
> off
> (which doesn't UNinstall them!).
> --
> RMB
>
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A custom upgrade will allow you to select what features you do and do not
>> want. Is there something in particular that you are trying to avoid? A
>> typical of Ultimate is fairly lean, so I'm curious.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
>> > As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first
>> > Windows
>> > Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling me
>> > I
>> > MUST
>> > do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to
>> > explain
>> > that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the
>> > package
>> > or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back).
>> > My
>> > question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid
>> > installing
>> > all
>> > the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more
>> > years.
>> > THANK YOU for any info!
>> > --
>> > RMB

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
rmberryman wrote:
> As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first
> Windows Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled",
> telling me I MUST do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime!
> It went on to explain that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium,
> but this is NOT on the package or any info in the Staples store
> (which has agreed to take it back). My question is: If I am FORCED
> to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid installing all the stuff I DON'T
> need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few more years. THANK YOU
> for any info!

===================================
Maybe installing Vista on a separate partition
and dual booting would be attractive to you.

I'm no expert on dual-booting but the
following info worked for me. One
other point...when I first installed Vista
I constantly received errors...updating my
BIOS solved that.

Doesn't have to be a second hard drive...
if your main drive is large enough you can
install on a separate partition. 15 to 20 GB
is considered to be adequate for the install
but 40 GB or more would be better.

First...hook up all your hardware and run
the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor...just
to see where you stand.

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
http://tinyurl.com/27pekc

Also..."Important"...backup all of your personal
files...My Documents / My Pictures / E-mail /
Everything...etc...you never know what might
go wrong.

You may need to reduce the size of
your Primary Active partition to create
some unallocated space.

I used Acronis Disk Director Suite 10
to accomplish this but there are other
options such as the app. mentioned
in the following article.

How to dual-boot Vista with XP -
step-by-step guide with screenshots
http://tinyurl.com/ysh8hy

Gnome Partition Editor
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Once you have the unallocated space
available...you may need to enter your
BIOS and change the boot order so
you can boot from the Vista disk. From
that point just follow the onscreen
instructions. To access the BIOS on my
machine...I have to press and hold the
Delete key when it's powering up.

When Vista installs it will create it's own
partition on the unallocated space.

The following links may be useful also:

Dual-Booting Vista and XP
http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm

Dual-Booting Vista and XP (Part 2)
http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_part2.htm

Also the following freebie is very useful in
managing your Boot options.

VistaBootPRO
http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php
(scroll down to the download link)

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2007
rmberryman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ultimate Version's unnecessary stuff
Jupiter: Thank you (and others) for replying to my query about my failed
Vista upgrade. There is nothing about the prohibition on the front of the
box, but you are absolutely correct; there IS fine print on the back which
says a clean install is necessary. Staples has agreed to take back my
uninstalled Home Premium. Except for IE7 crashing 10 to 12 times a day, XP
runs perfectly on my main computer, so I've decided to KEEP XP Pro for a long
time, rather than buy a version of Vista I don't need or want. I was looking
forward to improved multimedia features, but I'm having no trouble handling
my photography stuff in XP. This has been a lesson in "Be happy with what
you've got"!
--
RMB


"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP Pro to Windows Vista is a kind of downgrade and is not new
> with Windows Vista.
> Similar to windows 2000 will not upgrade to Windows XP Home:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/matrix.mspx
> That is because you are going from a version intended for use in a
> business environment to a home environment and has not been a valid
> path..
>
> Did you purchase Windows Vista Home Premium or upgrade?
> If it is Upgrade, what is written on the front, top of the box under
> "Upgrade"?
> I think that explains the upgrade paths although I do not have that
> version in front of me now.
>
> If you post which features you do not want, you may be given specific
> answers for removing/disabling those features..
>
> Exactly what features in Windows Vista is driving your upgrade?
> Some can be removed in the Programs and Features section in the
> Control Panel.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "rmberryman" <rmberryman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C39841E4-76DD-4D6B-A3F9-AD0FB3D67A3A@microsoft.com...
> > As I prepared to upgrade our three computers, I purchased my first
> > Windows
> > Vista Home Premium and got as far as "Upgrade is disabled", telling
> > me I MUST
> > do a clean install. Uhhh... not in THIS lifetime! It went on to
> > explain
> > that I CANNOT upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium, but this is NOT on the
> > package
> > or any info in the Staples store (which has agreed to take it back).
> > My
> > question is: If I am FORCED to buy Vista Ultimate, can I avoid
> > installing all
> > the stuff I DON'T need? Otherwise, I will stay with XP for a few
> > more years.
> > THANK YOU for any info!
> > --
> > RMB

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Box Store Reps Push Unnecessary Recovery Discs Steve General Technology News 0 08-30-2007 22:51
Disabling unnecessary services and processes Paul microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 06-29-2007 10:45
Posting unnecessary threads about XP Greater than Vista Bill Yanaire microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 05-24-2007 21:40
Five steps for reducing unnecessary use of Administrator accounts Paul Security News 0 04-13-2007 20:41
Remove unnecessary things in Vista? DocMAX microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 13:04




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120