Installation of Vista Home Basic and other question

Charles Chambers

Installation of Vista Home Basic and other question
My girlfriend just went out and bought herself a copy of Vista Home Basic
for me to install. I'm pretty sure she's not going to like it, as it does
not have the new Aero interface. I also have some concerns that people here
would be able to answer.

I understand that Vista will offer to connect to Microsoft and offer to pass
your credit card to them if you call on features in a more advancd version
than the one you have installed. Is this something where Microsoft
transfers back a different key, or are there update files transferrred? If
it's a key, will she need to write ti down adfer she pays for it, or does
Microsoft keep record of it?

Also, what triggers this? What is it the end user does that causes Vista to
phone home?

===================

She didn't think about the second machine in the house (mine), which is
currently running XP Home 32-bit on a 64-bit platform. I'm not planning to
update to Vista until I can get all my hardware/drivers to 64 bit and I can
confirm that Quake, Doom, Corel, and MSFT Works can all be run on a 64-bit
platform. I also have the 64-bit RC1 of Vista to play with, so I have some
time.

My questions are on licensing. Since she bought the Home Basic Retail, and
taking into account the Family licensing scheme, what are my uptions for the
64-bit machine? Assuming I can get everything to run on 64-bit, I'm partial
to the networking and security in Vista Business. Does the Family licensing
even apply if I jump that far above her version?

koze

Re: Installation of Vista Home Basic and other question
No for family license you need a valid Ultimate version.
When doing in place upgrade to next better version you will receive a new
key, you have to write down or print and could let it be put in a safe
location, it's all on the Vista website.
Ko.

"Charles Chambers @cisaz.com>" <cchamb2<2> schreef in bericht
> My girlfriend just went out and bought herself a copy of Vista Home Basic
> for me to install. I'm pretty sure she's not going to like it, as it does
> not have the new Aero interface. I also have some concerns that people
> here would be able to answer.
>
> I understand that Vista will offer to connect to Microsoft and offer to
> pass your credit card to them if you call on features in a more advancd
> version than the one you have installed. Is this something where
> Microsoft transfers back a different key, or are there update files
> transferrred? If it's a key, will she need to write ti down adfer she
> pays for it, or does Microsoft keep record of it?
>
> Also, what triggers this? What is it the end user does that causes Vista
> to phone home?
>
> ===================
>
> She didn't think about the second machine in the house (mine), which is
> currently running XP Home 32-bit on a 64-bit platform. I'm not planning
> to update to Vista until I can get all my hardware/drivers to 64 bit and I
> can confirm that Quake, Doom, Corel, and MSFT Works can all be run on a
> 64-bit platform. I also have the 64-bit RC1 of Vista to play with, so I
> have some time.
>
> My questions are on licensing. Since she bought the Home Basic Retail,
> and taking into account the Family licensing scheme, what are my uptions
> for the 64-bit machine? Assuming I can get everything to run on 64-bit,
> I'm partial to the networking and security in Vista Business. Does the
> Family licensing even apply if I jump that far above her version?

no.wai

Re: Installation of Vista Home Basic and other question
I did an upgrade using WAU from basic to premium, and did not receive a
new key.
I did get a file in digital locker called
windowsanytimeupgrade.slupkg-ms however. God knows what i'm supposed to
do with that, and what happens the day I need to do a fresh reinstall.

The information regarding this very limited.

/A

koze wrote:
> No for family license you need a valid Ultimate version.
> When doing in place upgrade to next better version you will receive a new
> key, you have to write down or print and could let it be put in a safe
> location, it's all on the Vista website.
> Ko.
>
> "Charles Chambers @cisaz.com>" <cchamb2<2> schreef in bericht
>> My girlfriend just went out and bought herself a copy of Vista Home Basic
>> for me to install. I'm pretty sure she's not going to like it, as it does
>> not have the new Aero interface. I also have some concerns that people
>> here would be able to answer.
>>
>> I understand that Vista will offer to connect to Microsoft and offer to
>> pass your credit card to them if you call on features in a more advancd
>> version than the one you have installed. Is this something where
>> Microsoft transfers back a different key, or are there update files
>> transferrred? If it's a key, will she need to write ti down adfer she
>> pays for it, or does Microsoft keep record of it?
>>
>> Also, what triggers this? What is it the end user does that causes Vista
>> to phone home?
>>
>> ===================
>>
>> She didn't think about the second machine in the house (mine), which is
>> currently running XP Home 32-bit on a 64-bit platform. I'm not planning
>> to update to Vista until I can get all my hardware/drivers to 64 bit and I
>> can confirm that Quake, Doom, Corel, and MSFT Works can all be run on a
>> 64-bit platform. I also have the 64-bit RC1 of Vista to play with, so I
>> have some time.
>>
>> My questions are on licensing. Since she bought the Home Basic Retail,
>> and taking into account the Family licensing scheme, what are my uptions
>> for the 64-bit machine? Assuming I can get everything to run on 64-bit,
>> I'm partial to the networking and security in Vista Business. Does the
>> Family licensing even apply if I jump that far above her version?

koze

Re: Installation of Vista Home Basic and other question
Next time you must access the digital locker to get the key again.
And it's explained on the website also <G>
The file you got pushes the new key into your setup.
Ko.

<no.wai> schreef in bericht news:uPLqXEpVHHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I did an upgrade using WAU from basic to premium, and did not receive a new
>key.
> I did get a file in digital locker called windowsanytimeupgrade.slupkg-ms
> however. God knows what i'm supposed to do with that, and what happens the
> day I need to do a fresh reinstall.
>
> The information regarding this very limited.
>
> /A
>

> koze wrote:
>> No for family license you need a valid Ultimate version.
>> When doing in place upgrade to next better version you will receive a new
>> key, you have to write down or print and could let it be put in a safe
>> location, it's all on the Vista website.
>> Ko.
>>
>> "Charles Chambers @cisaz.com>" <cchamb2<2> schreef in bericht
>>> My girlfriend just went out and bought herself a copy of Vista Home
>>> Basic for me to install. I'm pretty sure she's not going to like it, as
>>> it does not have the new Aero interface. I also have some concerns that
>>> people here would be able to answer.
>>>
>>> I understand that Vista will offer to connect to Microsoft and offer to
>>> pass your credit card to them if you call on features in a more advancd
>>> version than the one you have installed. Is this something where
>>> Microsoft transfers back a different key, or are there update files
>>> transferrred? If it's a key, will she need to write ti down adfer she
>>> pays for it, or does Microsoft keep record of it?
>>>
>>> Also, what triggers this? What is it the end user does that causes
>>> Vista to phone home?
>>>
>>> ===================
>>>
>>> She didn't think about the second machine in the house (mine), which is
>>> currently running XP Home 32-bit on a 64-bit platform. I'm not planning
>>> to update to Vista until I can get all my hardware/drivers to 64 bit and
>>> I can confirm that Quake, Doom, Corel, and MSFT Works can all be run on
>>> a 64-bit platform. I also have the 64-bit RC1 of Vista to play with,
>>> so I have some time.
>>>
>>> My questions are on licensing. Since she bought the Home Basic Retail,
>>> and taking into account the Family licensing scheme, what are my uptions
>>> for the 64-bit machine? Assuming I can get everything to run on 64-bit,
>>> I'm partial to the networking and security in Vista Business. Does the
>>> Family licensing even apply if I jump that far above her version?

no.wai

Re: Installation of Vista Home Basic and other question
Can you please point me to where this is explained? Because I've read
faq's, blogs, forums and not been able to find any information that
explains this in detail.

Thanks