Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me

J.f.k.

Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me
Hi ev'rybody.
I've tried everything but nothing...
I've got a P4 1.8GhZ, 1Gb Ram, Geforxe Fx5600.
My bios is dated 2003 (no new update is available).
On my pc I have an hdd (80gb) ata with Xp Home Ed. as o.s.
I cloned my hdd on a new disk (Maxtor Diamond 160Gb Pata - NOT Sata).
After disconnected my original drive I've checked if the new hd (160gb)
mounted as primary master - alone - works... and it do it well. (boot,
programs etc works fine).

So I've partitioned the disk leaving about 100Gb empty (unallocated space)
to install on it Windows Vista (I tried Rc1 and Rtm before to buy the
commercial edition). (The partition operation was made after tests in 2
different ways: from Partition Magic and then after reformatting, cloning
etc with Gnome GParted - Linux sw so I think there's no problem regarding
partitions)

After the "Windows is loading files" procedure, language and kb features,
product key and accepting the license it permits to install only
(obviously?) Custom Installation (Upgrade is disabled).
Ok I say: I don't want to upgrade Xp but make a Clean Vista Installation on
unallocated space so, I go on.

And here Vista can't finds drives to install itself (nothing, list is
empty).

So I've tried (without solution, always list remains empty):
1) to load controllers drivers from Xp
2) Setup my hd on bios in every way (Auto, Large, Lba, Chs, Primary Udma
disabled, Pio Disabled) (nothing)
3) Test- I've tried to install Linux on 2nd partition (maybe my system can't
support size so large but instead Linux can install without problems on 2nd
partition)
4) Start Vista Installation inside Xp - here it finds hd to install itself -
because it uses Xp drivers I guess - but after the 1st reboot I have 2
behaviours*

* First time: A message that says "Vista can't find a partion to install
itself" or similar and installation ends.
2nd time (Yes I re-tried...): A nice Bsod tell me problem on hard disk (I
found no solution with ng, Ms support, Google...)

So: I'm sure my hd is fine, no damaged.
I guess there are problem between Vista and my ide controller but why Xp and
Linux have no problems? Which drivers Vista needs to find my hd?

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Ps I try (to test) to install on another disk (80gb) and Vista installs
without problems. The problem still remains on 160Gb (I repeat, that is a
Pata not Sata)

Ciao
Gianfranco

Jane C

Re: Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me
What motherboard do you have? Which chipset does it have? Have you been to
the manufacturers site to see if they have Vista drivers available?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"J.f.k." <jj@ok.com> wrote in message
> Hi ev'rybody.
> I've tried everything but nothing...
> I've got a P4 1.8GhZ, 1Gb Ram, Geforxe Fx5600.
> My bios is dated 2003 (no new update is available).
> On my pc I have an hdd (80gb) ata with Xp Home Ed. as o.s.
> I cloned my hdd on a new disk (Maxtor Diamond 160Gb Pata - NOT Sata).
> After disconnected my original drive I've checked if the new hd (160gb)
> mounted as primary master - alone - works... and it do it well. (boot,
> programs etc works fine).
>
> So I've partitioned the disk leaving about 100Gb empty (unallocated space)
> to install on it Windows Vista (I tried Rc1 and Rtm before to buy the
> commercial edition). (The partition operation was made after tests in 2
> different ways: from Partition Magic and then after reformatting, cloning
> etc with Gnome GParted - Linux sw so I think there's no problem regarding
> partitions)
>
> After the "Windows is loading files" procedure, language and kb features,
> product key and accepting the license it permits to install only
> (obviously?) Custom Installation (Upgrade is disabled).
> Ok I say: I don't want to upgrade Xp but make a Clean Vista Installation
> on unallocated space so, I go on.
>
> And here Vista can't finds drives to install itself (nothing, list is
> empty).
>
> So I've tried (without solution, always list remains empty):
> 1) to load controllers drivers from Xp
> 2) Setup my hd on bios in every way (Auto, Large, Lba, Chs, Primary Udma
> disabled, Pio Disabled) (nothing)
> 3) Test- I've tried to install Linux on 2nd partition (maybe my system
> can't support size so large but instead Linux can install without problems
> on 2nd partition)
> 4) Start Vista Installation inside Xp - here it finds hd to install
> itself - because it uses Xp drivers I guess - but after the 1st reboot I
> have 2 behaviours*
>
> * First time: A message that says "Vista can't find a partion to install
> itself" or similar and installation ends.
> 2nd time (Yes I re-tried...): A nice Bsod tell me problem on hard disk (I
> found no solution with ng, Ms support, Google...)
>
> So: I'm sure my hd is fine, no damaged.
> I guess there are problem between Vista and my ide controller but why Xp
> and Linux have no problems? Which drivers Vista needs to find my hd?
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ps I try (to test) to install on another disk (80gb) and Vista installs
> without problems. The problem still remains on 160Gb (I repeat, that is a
> Pata not Sata)
>
> Ciao
> Gianfranco

J.f.k.

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> What motherboard do you have? Which chipset does it have? Have you been
> to the manufacturers site to see if they have Vista drivers available?

The chipset is :
North Bridge: Intel Brookdale i845
South Bridge: Intel 82801BA ICH2X

Main Board:
Supermicro P4SBA (6 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 CNR, 3 DIMM, Audio)
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...845/P4SBA+.cfm
but I can't see Vista drivers at all...

So nothing to do , I guess (I need to change my pc?)
Thanks, GF

koze

Re: Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me
Format that partition from XP before installing Vista.
PM is not compatible with Vista and the NTFS format is not the same.
Ko.

"J.f.k." <jj@ok.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi ev'rybody.
> I've tried everything but nothing...
> I've got a P4 1.8GhZ, 1Gb Ram, Geforxe Fx5600.
> My bios is dated 2003 (no new update is available).
> On my pc I have an hdd (80gb) ata with Xp Home Ed. as o.s.
> I cloned my hdd on a new disk (Maxtor Diamond 160Gb Pata - NOT Sata).
> After disconnected my original drive I've checked if the new hd (160gb)
> mounted as primary master - alone - works... and it do it well. (boot,
> programs etc works fine).
>
> So I've partitioned the disk leaving about 100Gb empty (unallocated space)
> to install on it Windows Vista (I tried Rc1 and Rtm before to buy the
> commercial edition). (The partition operation was made after tests in 2
> different ways: from Partition Magic and then after reformatting, cloning
> etc with Gnome GParted - Linux sw so I think there's no problem regarding
> partitions)
>
> After the "Windows is loading files" procedure, language and kb features,
> product key and accepting the license it permits to install only
> (obviously?) Custom Installation (Upgrade is disabled).
> Ok I say: I don't want to upgrade Xp but make a Clean Vista Installation
> on unallocated space so, I go on.
>
> And here Vista can't finds drives to install itself (nothing, list is
> empty).
>
> So I've tried (without solution, always list remains empty):
> 1) to load controllers drivers from Xp
> 2) Setup my hd on bios in every way (Auto, Large, Lba, Chs, Primary Udma
> disabled, Pio Disabled) (nothing)
> 3) Test- I've tried to install Linux on 2nd partition (maybe my system
> can't support size so large but instead Linux can install without problems
> on 2nd partition)
> 4) Start Vista Installation inside Xp - here it finds hd to install
> itself - because it uses Xp drivers I guess - but after the 1st reboot I
> have 2 behaviours*
>
> * First time: A message that says "Vista can't find a partion to install
> itself" or similar and installation ends.
> 2nd time (Yes I re-tried...): A nice Bsod tell me problem on hard disk (I
> found no solution with ng, Ms support, Google...)
>
> So: I'm sure my hd is fine, no damaged.
> I guess there are problem between Vista and my ide controller but why Xp
> and Linux have no problems? Which drivers Vista needs to find my hd?
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ps I try (to test) to install on another disk (80gb) and Vista installs
> without problems. The problem still remains on 160Gb (I repeat, that is a
> Pata not Sata)
>
> Ciao
> Gianfranco

J.f.k.

"koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Format that partition from XP before installing Vista.
> PM is not compatible with Vista and the NTFS format is not the same.
> Ko.

I did from Partition Magic because Xp can't do it without lost data on first
partition; but on a second time I've tried to partition starting from a
Linux Live Cd and the problem still remains. I leave Unallocated space, no
making format of the partition.
More, I read that Vista should be find Unallocated space and don't needs
formatted partition at all (it creates itself) (maybe I mistake)

thanks
GF

koze

Re: Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me
Correct, in XP go to diskmanager, in there you are able to create a
partition in unallocated space and choose to format it to.

Then Vista can be installed. You can do this from Vista also but need to
slect advance at the install / setup page to create a partition from there
and also format from there. Then continue. What suites you best.

> "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Format that partition from XP before installing Vista.
>> PM is not compatible with Vista and the NTFS format is not the same.
>> Ko.

> I did from Partition Magic because Xp can't do it without lost data on
> first partition; but on a second time I've tried to partition starting
> from a Linux Live Cd and the problem still remains. I leave Unallocated
> space, no making format of the partition.
> More, I read that Vista should be find Unallocated space and don't needs
> formatted partition at all (it creates itself) (maybe I mistake)
>
> thanks
> GF

J.f.k.

> Correct, in XP go to diskmanager, in there you are able to create a
> partition in unallocated space and choose to format it to.
>
> Then Vista can be installed. You can do this from Vista also but need to
> slect advance at the install / setup page to create a partition from there
> and also format from there. Then continue. What suites you best.
>
> Ko.

Excuse, I didn't catch you (I'm italian, my english is so far from
perfect)

I have a 80gb with Xp (only one NTFS partition) that I'm cloning on a second
hd (160gb) . The destination disk so will be with only 1 partition too.
I have no unallocated space at this time (the partition is the total of the
size) so I'll have to "make room" with partition magic or through Linux.
But I've tried to do in both ways (I've also tried- one time - to format the
partition from Xp in NTFS after created the space) but Vista can't find
anything (no disk, no partitions).
So I guess it is something about hardware (mobo) and Vista.

Thanks
GF

koze

Re: Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me
I think due to the cloning that the HD bootsector is not correct recognized.
You can do that using the XP CD by booting from that, going to the recovery
console and select in there fixboot if completed type fixmbr. That will
write a complete and correct bootsector and masterbootrecord to the new
drive.

What program did you use to clone the first to the second drive? Doesn't
that give a option to resize the new HD?
You can resize with PM and make the C: partition smaller (use the two
diskettes to do so!, don't install PM).
Now you can boot to XP and within XP you are able to use diskmanager to
create a new partition in the by PM cleared space. If you are able to boot
from it Vista should recognize the HD and can install.

> "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Correct, in XP go to diskmanager, in there you are able to create a
>> partition in unallocated space and choose to format it to.
>>
>> Then Vista can be installed. You can do this from Vista also but need to
>> slect advance at the install / setup page to create a partition from
>> there and also format from there. Then continue. What suites you best.
>>
>> Ko.

> Excuse, I didn't catch you (I'm italian, my english is so far from
> perfect)
>
> I have a 80gb with Xp (only one NTFS partition) that I'm cloning on a
> second hd (160gb) . The destination disk so will be with only 1 partition
> too.
> I have no unallocated space at this time (the partition is the total of
> the size) so I'll have to "make room" with partition magic or through
> Linux.
> But I've tried to do in both ways (I've also tried- one time - to format
> the partition from Xp in NTFS after created the space) but Vista can't
> find anything (no disk, no partitions).
> So I guess it is something about hardware (mobo) and Vista.
>
> Thanks
> GF

Harald Andersen

Re: Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me

"J.f.k." <jj@ok.com> wrote in message

snip...
> I have a 80gb with Xp (only one NTFS partition) that I'm cloning on a
> second hd (160gb) .

Just a silly question :
Why are you cloning your XP, if you are going to install Vista on your
new drive ?
Diconnect your XP drive, install your new drive and do a clean install,
partitioning and formatting from the Vista DVD.
When all is running OK, connect your old XP drive and import your data.

/Hca

Richard Urban

Re: Vista can't find my hdd (pata) - Long post, excuse me
If the drive is connected to an advanced ATA-100/133 controller, you "may"
have to install the necessary drivers for the O/S to see the drive. This
also may happen if the drive is connected to a similar add-in ATA card.
Early implementations of the advanced ATA protocols do not necessarily have
the necessary information encoded in the on-board chipsets.

I ran into this same problem 2-3 times. In one case I could NOT install
Windows 2000 if the drive was connected to an advanced ATA-100 port. I had
to install when the drive was connected to a standard ATA 33/66 port. Then,
after I booted into Windows 2000 I added drivers for the Promise controller
card. I then shut down the computer and switched over the ribbon cable.
After that, everything was fine.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban