64 bit upgrade??

Alan

64 bit upgrade??
I am on a Latitude D830 with 4 gig ram, t7700 dual core processor and
160 gig hdd with primary 60 gig partition remainder on secondary
partition. my system is vista business 32 bit . i bought a 64 bit
retail upgrade but it say's
"Setup can not run on this version of the Operating System. To
install
Windows please try booting from the install media. However, when i
do
this it says i cannot use my key unless i do upgrade from within the
os. I have seen similar problems with no solutions on several blogs.
Can anyone help me?? Also, Ms. Office Pro Disappeared off my hdd the
first time i attempted to run the upgrade install.
Thanks in advance for any help

Alan

John Barnes

Re: 64 bit upgrade??
You have to do a custom install to go from 32 to 64-bits

"Alan" <digitalnetsolutions@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191607296.313757.323970@w3g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
>I am on a Latitude D830 with 4 gig ram, t7700 dual core processor and
> 160 gig hdd with primary 60 gig partition remainder on secondary
> partition. my system is vista business 32 bit . i bought a 64 bit
> retail upgrade but it say's
> "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating System. To
> install
> Windows please try booting from the install media. However, when i
> do
> this it says i cannot use my key unless i do upgrade from within the
> os. I have seen similar problems with no solutions on several blogs.
> Can anyone help me?? Also, Ms. Office Pro Disappeared off my hdd the
> first time i attempted to run the upgrade install.
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Alan

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: 64 bit upgrade??
There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit version of Vista
to the 64-bit version of Vista. You'll need to purchase
a "full version" of the 64-bit version and perform a
"clean install".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

[...]

"clean install". The 64-bit upgrade version is only valid
if you already are running a 64-bit version of Windows XP.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

"Windows XP Professional x64 users can purchase an upgrade
license for the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
However, they must perform a clean installation of the operating system."

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

[...]

You do not need a full version. An upgrade version is fine.

> There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit version of Vista
> to the 64-bit version of Vista. You'll need to purchase
> a "full version" of the 64-bit version and perform a
> "clean install".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Alan" <digitalnetsolutions@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1191607296.313757.323970@w3g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
> I am on a Latitude D830 with 4 gig ram, t7700 dual core processor and
> 160 gig hdd with primary 60 gig partition remainder on secondary
> partition. my system is vista business 32 bit . i bought a 64 bit
> retail upgrade but it say's
> "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating System. To
> install
> Windows please try booting from the install media. However, when i
> do
> this it says i cannot use my key unless i do upgrade from within the
> os. I have seen similar problems with no solutions on several blogs.
> Can anyone help me?? Also, Ms. Office Pro Disappeared off my hdd the
> first time i attempted to run the upgrade install.
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Alan

Mick Murphy

RE: 64 bit upgrade??