BSOD during install

Hyweee

BSOD during install
I posted this on the general discussion group by mistake so I'm posting here
just to make sure.

Around about the 55% mark of the Completing Installation stage I get a blue
screen of death and cannot get any further, safe mode will load but if I
attempt to load normally to continue the install I just get the same error
screen and have to reboot. This has happened twice, both times at the same
stage.

My specs are:

AMD AM2 Athlon 5200+
Asus Crosshair mobo (I haven't updated the drivers or BIOS for this since I
bought it)
2 Gb of GEIL RAM (GX22GB6400UDC dual channel kit)
2x 200GB Maxtor HDD
GeForce 8800 GTS (with the latest XP drivers)
Asus DRW-1814BLT

I've not been able to catch the exact error message but it was something like
"PAGE_INTO_NON_PAGED_AREA" and the more I read the more likely it seems to
me to be something to do with my out of date mobo drivers and BIOS.

Any constructive comments and/or advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

John Barnett MVP

Re: BSOD during install
When you are installing Vista are there any USB devices connected to the
machine, i.e, modem, printer, webcam etc. If so remove all USB devices and
try installing again.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Hyweee" <Hyweee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this on the general discussion group by mistake so I'm posting
>here
> just to make sure.
>
> Around about the 55% mark of the Completing Installation stage I get a
> blue
> screen of death and cannot get any further, safe mode will load but if I
> attempt to load normally to continue the install I just get the same error
> screen and have to reboot. This has happened twice, both times at the same
> stage.
>
> My specs are:
>
> AMD AM2 Athlon 5200+
> Asus Crosshair mobo (I haven't updated the drivers or BIOS for this since
> bought it)
> 2 Gb of GEIL RAM (GX22GB6400UDC dual channel kit)
> 2x 200GB Maxtor HDD
> GeForce 8800 GTS (with the latest XP drivers)
> Asus DRW-1814BLT
>
> I've not been able to catch the exact error message but it was something
> like
> "PAGE_INTO_NON_PAGED_AREA" and the more I read the more likely it seems to
> me to be something to do with my out of date mobo drivers and BIOS.
>
> Any constructive comments and/or advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hyweee

RE: BSOD during install
I should also add that both these attempts were upgrade installs launched in XP

"Hyweee" wrote:

> I posted this on the general discussion group by mistake so I'm posting here
> just to make sure.
>
> Around about the 55% mark of the Completing Installation stage I get a blue
> screen of death and cannot get any further, safe mode will load but if I
> attempt to load normally to continue the install I just get the same error
> screen and have to reboot. This has happened twice, both times at the same
> stage.
>
> My specs are:
>
> AMD AM2 Athlon 5200+
> Asus Crosshair mobo (I haven't updated the drivers or BIOS for this since I
> bought it)
> 2 Gb of GEIL RAM (GX22GB6400UDC dual channel kit)
> 2x 200GB Maxtor HDD
> GeForce 8800 GTS (with the latest XP drivers)
> Asus DRW-1814BLT
>
> I've not been able to catch the exact error message but it was something like
> "PAGE_INTO_NON_PAGED_AREA" and the more I read the more likely it seems to
> me to be something to do with my out of date mobo drivers and BIOS.
>
> Any constructive comments and/or advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.

John Barnes

Re: BSOD during install
Take John's advice, in addition, uninstall any programs that had any
questions in the Advisor and any programs that have kernel level processing,
such as A/V and Firewalls, programs like Ghost/Acronis etc. Personally I
had no luck with upgrades, even when they completed, I had miscellaneous
errors until I did a clean install.
Good luck.

>I should also add that both these attempts were upgrade installs launched
>in XP
>
> "Hyweee" wrote:
>
>> I posted this on the general discussion group by mistake so I'm posting
>> here
>> just to make sure.
>>
>> Around about the 55% mark of the Completing Installation stage I get a
>> blue
>> screen of death and cannot get any further, safe mode will load but if I
>> attempt to load normally to continue the install I just get the same
>> error
>> screen and have to reboot. This has happened twice, both times at the
>> same
>> stage.
>>
>> My specs are:
>>
>> AMD AM2 Athlon 5200+
>> Asus Crosshair mobo (I haven't updated the drivers or BIOS for this since
>> bought it)
>> 2 Gb of GEIL RAM (GX22GB6400UDC dual channel kit)
>> 2x 200GB Maxtor HDD
>> GeForce 8800 GTS (with the latest XP drivers)
>> Asus DRW-1814BLT
>>
>> I've not been able to catch the exact error message but it was something
>> like
>> "PAGE_INTO_NON_PAGED_AREA" and the more I read the more likely it seems
>> me to be something to do with my out of date mobo drivers and BIOS.
>>
>> Any constructive comments and/or advice is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Paul Randall

Re: BSOD during install
John Barnes suggestion is good. Sometimes removing all nonessential
hardware and certain software can help. If you have 2 memory sticks,
sometimes it helps to drop back to one, which you can insert later. Since
you know that your system is a little problematic, don't automatically
activate. You have 30 days to be sure you have everything installed and
working nicely before you have to activate, and its nice to have all your
normal hardware plugged in when you activate. Of course, you can leave the
auto activate on and reactivate many times, but after a few times you may be
required to activate by phone which takes about 6 minutes and punching in a
bunch of numbers each time. Also note that through the custom install
option there is a way to do a clean install.

-Paul Randall

"Hyweee" <Hyweee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I should also add that both these attempts were upgrade installs launched
>in XP
>
> "Hyweee" wrote:
>
>> I posted this on the general discussion group by mistake so I'm posting
>> here
>> just to make sure.
>>
>> Around about the 55% mark of the Completing Installation stage I get a
>> blue
>> screen of death and cannot get any further, safe mode will load but if I
>> attempt to load normally to continue the install I just get the same
>> error
>> screen and have to reboot. This has happened twice, both times at the
>> same
>> stage.
>>
>> My specs are:
>>
>> AMD AM2 Athlon 5200+
>> Asus Crosshair mobo (I haven't updated the drivers or BIOS for this since
>> bought it)
>> 2 Gb of GEIL RAM (GX22GB6400UDC dual channel kit)
>> 2x 200GB Maxtor HDD
>> GeForce 8800 GTS (with the latest XP drivers)
>> Asus DRW-1814BLT
>>
>> I've not been able to catch the exact error message but it was something
>> like
>> "PAGE_INTO_NON_PAGED_AREA" and the more I read the more likely it seems
>> me to be something to do with my out of date mobo drivers and BIOS.
>>
>> Any constructive comments and/or advice is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Dwarf

RE: BSOD during install
Hi Hyweee,

If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using
Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup, you should hopefully solve your
problem.
Dwarf