vista just wont start up

caboose2253

vista just wont start up
i installed vista home premium on my computer, but during the installation,
it restarted and then once it came back on, it wouldnt continue the
installation, i tried and tried again, but nothing. so i installed it on
another hard drive in a different computer and put that hard drive in the
other computer, and it wont start up, even though its installed and working
and activated. the other computer that i actually installed it in is a older
computer, with older parts, and the one im trying to get it to work in is
almost completely new parts, so it should be vista capible, 3d connect ati
radeon x1550 graphics card, asus p5n-e sli motherobard, 3 gigs ddr2 ram,
adaquet cooling, i just have absolutly no idea why it wont install or work.
please help
Daveg

Re: vista just wont start up
If I understand, Vista will install without issue on the 2nd machine.
When moving that same hard drive back to the original computer it will
not boot up.

first thing is go to hardware manufacturer website and make sure your
running the latest BIOS update.
Secondly, install a clean copy of any downlevel OS.
Within the downlevel OS run the following command.

bootsect.exe {/help | /nt52 | /nt60} {SYS | ALL | <DriveLetter:>} [/
force]

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Bootsect Command-Line Options

Does the system boot successfully to the downlevel OS with NT60 code?
It should. If not, meaning your in a reboot loop, its possible
bootmgr.exe is never being called to load Vista.

I have seen this before using barebones box with Intel motherboard and
SATA drive. The boot sector was on 44 instead of where it normally is
on 63.

daveg

caboose2253

Re: vista just wont start up
ok, how exatly do i do this, im pretty good at computers, but as for that....
well, lol i appreciate the help but could you be a little more specific, do i
run this in a command prompt or put it in RUN and start it from there???

"Daveg" wrote:

> If I understand, Vista will install without issue on the 2nd machine.
> When moving that same hard drive back to the original computer it will
> not boot up.
>
> first thing is go to hardware manufacturer website and make sure your
> running the latest BIOS update.
> Secondly, install a clean copy of any downlevel OS.
> Within the downlevel OS run the following command.
>
> bootsect.exe {/help | /nt52 | /nt60} {SYS | ALL | <DriveLetter:>} [/
> force]
>
> bootsect.exe /nt60 C:
>
> Bootsect Command-Line Options
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>
> Does the system boot successfully to the downlevel OS with NT60 code?
> It should. If not, meaning your in a reboot loop, its possible
> bootmgr.exe is never being called to load Vista.
>
> I have seen this before using barebones box with Intel motherboard and
> SATA drive. The boot sector was on 44 instead of where it normally is
> on 63.
>
> daveg

peter

Re: vista just wont start up
When you installed Vista onto your old computer it loaded the hardware
drivers for that computer.
When you moved the harddrive and tried to start on new system..nothing
matched..
Try a reinstallation from the Vista DVD into the same location .......
or
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
peter
"caboose2253" <caboose2253@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i installed vista home premium on my computer, but during the installation,
> it restarted and then once it came back on, it wouldnt continue the
> installation, i tried and tried again, but nothing. so i installed it on
> another hard drive in a different computer and put that hard drive in the
> other computer, and it wont start up, even though its installed and
> working
> and activated. the other computer that i actually installed it in is a
> older
> computer, with older parts, and the one im trying to get it to work in is
> almost completely new parts, so it should be vista capible, 3d connect ati
> radeon x1550 graphics card, asus p5n-e sli motherobard, 3 gigs ddr2 ram,
> adaquet cooling, i just have absolutly no idea why it wont install or
> work.
> please help

caboose2253

Re: vista just wont start up
well, ive installed it on that computer, and it did the same thing, nothing
ive done will get it to boot, ive installed vista so many times on that
computer with no result, i havent tried what daveg said, but any suggestions
would help please. thanks

"peter" wrote:

> When you installed Vista onto your old computer it loaded the hardware
> drivers for that computer.
> When you moved the harddrive and tried to start on new system..nothing
> matched..
> Try a reinstallation from the Vista DVD into the same location .......
> or
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
> peter
> "caboose2253" <caboose2253@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i installed vista home premium on my computer, but during the installation,
> > it restarted and then once it came back on, it wouldnt continue the
> > installation, i tried and tried again, but nothing. so i installed it on
> > another hard drive in a different computer and put that hard drive in the
> > other computer, and it wont start up, even though its installed and
> > working
> > and activated. the other computer that i actually installed it in is a
> > older
> > computer, with older parts, and the one im trying to get it to work in is
> > almost completely new parts, so it should be vista capible, 3d connect ati
> > radeon x1550 graphics card, asus p5n-e sli motherobard, 3 gigs ddr2 ram,
> > adaquet cooling, i just have absolutly no idea why it wont install or
> > work.
> > please help

John Barnes

Re: vista just wont start up
What is your setup as to hard drives. Do you have a more than one drive.
You should disconnect all the drives other than the one you are installing
on. This is particularly a problem when you have IDE and SATA drives and
are trying to install on SATA

> well, ive installed it on that computer, and it did the same thing,
> nothing
> ive done will get it to boot, ive installed vista so many times on that
> computer with no result, i havent tried what daveg said, but any
> suggestions
> would help please. thanks
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> When you installed Vista onto your old computer it loaded the hardware
>> drivers for that computer.
>> When you moved the harddrive and tried to start on new system..nothing
>> matched..
>> Try a reinstallation from the Vista DVD into the same location .......
>> or
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
>> peter
>> "caboose2253" <caboose2253@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i installed vista home premium on my computer, but during the
>> >installation,
>> > it restarted and then once it came back on, it wouldnt continue the
>> > installation, i tried and tried again, but nothing. so i installed it
>> > on
>> > another hard drive in a different computer and put that hard drive in
>> > the
>> > other computer, and it wont start up, even though its installed and
>> > working
>> > and activated. the other computer that i actually installed it in is a
>> > older
>> > computer, with older parts, and the one im trying to get it to work in
>> > is
>> > almost completely new parts, so it should be vista capible, 3d connect
>> > ati
>> > radeon x1550 graphics card, asus p5n-e sli motherobard, 3 gigs ddr2
>> > ram,
>> > adaquet cooling, i just have absolutly no idea why it wont install or
>> > work.
>> > please help

caboose2253

Re: vista just wont start up
once more unfortunally, ive tried that, i do have one sata drive and im
installing it in a ide drive, but undoing all teh drives including cd rom and
dvd drives doesnt help at all.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> What is your setup as to hard drives. Do you have a more than one drive.
> You should disconnect all the drives other than the one you are installing
> on. This is particularly a problem when you have IDE and SATA drives and
> are trying to install on SATA
>
> "caboose2253" <caboose2253@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > well, ive installed it on that computer, and it did the same thing,
> > nothing
> > ive done will get it to boot, ive installed vista so many times on that
> > computer with no result, i havent tried what daveg said, but any
> > suggestions
> > would help please. thanks
> >
> > "peter" wrote:
> >
> >> When you installed Vista onto your old computer it loaded the hardware
> >> drivers for that computer.
> >> When you moved the harddrive and tried to start on new system..nothing
> >> matched..
> >> Try a reinstallation from the Vista DVD into the same location .......
> >> or
> >> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
> >> peter

John Barnes

Re: vista just wont start up
Did you provide the SATA drivers for the drive?

> once more unfortunally, ive tried that, i do have one sata drive and im
> installing it in a ide drive, but undoing all teh drives including cd rom
> and
> dvd drives doesnt help at all.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> What is your setup as to hard drives. Do you have a more than one drive.
>> You should disconnect all the drives other than the one you are
>> installing
>> on. This is particularly a problem when you have IDE and SATA drives and
>> are trying to install on SATA
>>
>> "caboose2253" <caboose2253@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > well, ive installed it on that computer, and it did the same thing,
>> > nothing
>> > ive done will get it to boot, ive installed vista so many times on that
>> > computer with no result, i havent tried what daveg said, but any
>> > suggestions
>> > would help please. thanks

Paul Randall

Re: vista just wont start up
The bad thing about disconnecting all drives other than the one you are
installing on is that if you intend to install on a drive/partition that
will have a drive letter other than C: when other drives are connected, you
must somehow make that drive/partition have that same non-c: drive letter
during the installation. Otherwise, registry entries will be falsely
pointing to files on the c: drive when they should be pointing to files on
the non-c: drive.

-Paul Randall

> What is your setup as to hard drives. Do you have a more than one drive.
> You should disconnect all the drives other than the one you are installing
> on. This is particularly a problem when you have IDE and SATA drives and
> are trying to install on SATA
>
> "caboose2253" <caboose2253@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> well, ive installed it on that computer, and it did the same thing,
>> nothing
>> ive done will get it to boot, ive installed vista so many times on that
>> computer with no result, i havent tried what daveg said, but any
>> suggestions
>> would help please. thanks
>>
>> "peter" wrote:
>>
>>> When you installed Vista onto your old computer it loaded the hardware
>>> drivers for that computer.
>>> When you moved the harddrive and tried to start on new system..nothing
>>> matched..
>>> Try a reinstallation from the Vista DVD into the same location .......
>>> or
>>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
>>> peter

caboose2253

Re: vista just wont start up
well, ive tried it without disconnecting the drives, but with no change.