upgrading home premium to ultimate

Dana Weber

upgrading home premium to ultimate
I just got a new gateway computer and wanted to upgrade to Vista home
ultimate. It went through the whole process then comes up with the following
message:
"Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install
Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."
It then proceeds to go back to the Vista home premium version. I checked
with the upgrade advisor and it appears that the computer is satisfactory
for this upgrade. I cannot find any issue that prevents this, the system is
basic, without any extra hardware at the moment.

Anyone have similar issues?
Thanks for any replies,
Dana

Mick Murphy

RE: upgrading home premium to ultimate
Are you loading the upgrade disk once Vista Home Premium is up and running,
or booting from DVD Drive with it?
You load the DVD normally to do an upgrade, not boot with it!

"Dana Weber" wrote:

> I just got a new gateway computer and wanted to upgrade to Vista home
> ultimate. It went through the whole process then comes up with the following
> message:
> "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install
> Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."
> It then proceeds to go back to the Vista home premium version. I checked
> with the upgrade advisor and it appears that the computer is satisfactory
> for this upgrade. I cannot find any issue that prevents this, the system is
> basic, without any extra hardware at the moment.
>
> Anyone have similar issues?
> Thanks for any replies,
> Dana

Dana Weber

> Are you loading the upgrade disk once Vista Home Premium is up and
> running,
> or booting from DVD Drive with it?
> You load the DVD normally to do an upgrade, not boot with it!
>
> "Dana Weber" wrote:
>
>> I just got a new gateway computer and wanted to upgrade to Vista home
>> ultimate. It went through the whole process then comes up with the
>> following
>> message:
>> "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install
>> Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."
>> It then proceeds to go back to the Vista home premium version. I checked
>> with the upgrade advisor and it appears that the computer is satisfactory
>> for this upgrade. I cannot find any issue that prevents this, the system
>> is
>> basic, without any extra hardware at the moment.
>>
>> Anyone have similar issues?
>> Thanks for any replies,
>> Dana

Robert Wood

Re: upgrading home premium to ultimate
I have exactly the same problem DANA. I am not booting from the dvd, just
trying to re-install Ultimate that I bought from Microsoft in february. No
reason is given, or any way to sort it out. Where is Microsoft in this. I
thought Vista was all conquering, surely they have a sort for this, who do we
contact. My system is fully compliant with the upgrade. I score 4.2 on the
system meter. Anyone got an answer.
Robert Wood, Rothesay, Scotland

"Dana Weber" wrote:

> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Are you loading the upgrade disk once Vista Home Premium is up and
> > running,
> > or booting from DVD Drive with it?
> > You load the DVD normally to do an upgrade, not boot with it!
> >
> > "Dana Weber" wrote:
> >
> >> I just got a new gateway computer and wanted to upgrade to Vista home
> >> ultimate. It went through the whole process then comes up with the
> >> following
> >> message:
> >> "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install
> >> Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."
> >> It then proceeds to go back to the Vista home premium version. I checked
> >> with the upgrade advisor and it appears that the computer is satisfactory
> >> for this upgrade. I cannot find any issue that prevents this, the system
> >> is
> >> basic, without any extra hardware at the moment.
> >>
> >> Anyone have similar issues?
> >> Thanks for any replies,
> >> Dana

Dan

RE: upgrading home premium to ultimate
I am also having this issue. I just had to get my hard drives replaced and
they came with Vista home Premium. When I went to reinstall the upgrade to
Ultimate, it went thru a majority of the process and then gave me the same
message and reverted back to Premium.....

"Dana Weber" wrote:

> I just got a new gateway computer and wanted to upgrade to Vista home
> ultimate. It went through the whole process then comes up with the following
> message:
> "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install
> Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."
> It then proceeds to go back to the Vista home premium version. I checked
> with the upgrade advisor and it appears that the computer is satisfactory
> for this upgrade. I cannot find any issue that prevents this, the system is
> basic, without any extra hardware at the moment.
>
> Anyone have similar issues?
> Thanks for any replies,
> Dana

stanislavf

RE: upgrading home premium to ultimate
I echo this. I originally had Home Premium. I have Ultimate. It makes it
all the way to the same point as mentioned in this discussion (Mick Murphy's
reply made no sense as it would not make it to the final stages as mentioned
by Dana unless one had started it from the os).

I even scanned the various installation logs and the rollback logs. There
is no discernable reason why the upgrade did not work. This is especially
weird as it does go through the "starting windows for the first time" screen.
But, ultimately (small pun) it fails and rolls back to premium. Ultimate is
not so ultimate after all is it (of course the premium wasn't all that
premium either)?

I will attempt a clean install, which I agree will at least start the
registry from scratch, where the issue probably lies.