Clean Installation Question--Legal

John

Clean Installation Question--Legal
I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
legal.

My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
causing problems.

I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
Vista.

The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
bloatware included.

My Question:

Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

Chad Harris

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
John --

Help me help you. Precisely what Vista bloatware is on Vista buisness that
you are blaming for undefined problems? What bloatware from whom? That's
pretty vague and not a very good reason for trying to go to Home Basic from
Business. Maybe you need to deal with bloatware from someone but I don't
see what bloatware you could be referring to in Vista Biz from MSFT.

If you have Vista Biz on the Thinkpad now, how would you be installing a
Vista Home Basic upgrade CD [in order to] get Vista Business installed? It's
already installed according to you.

CH

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
> I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
> legal.
>
> My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
> causing problems.
>
> I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
> Vista.
>
> The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
> bloatware included.
>
> My Question:
>
> Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
> installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
> and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
No. The Windows Vista OEM Product Key affixed
to your ThinkPad will not be accepted by the Vista Home
Basic retail upgrade CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John" wrote:

I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
legal.

My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
causing problems.

I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
Vista.

The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
bloatware included.

My Question:

Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
John

Tell what you think is causing problems, and somebody here will try to help
you out..

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
> I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
> legal.
>
> My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
> causing problems.
>
> I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
> Vista.
>
> The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
> bloatware included.
>
> My Question:
>
> Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
> installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
> and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

cvp

John wrote:
> I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
> I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
> legal.
>
> My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
> causing problems.
>
> I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
> Vista.
>
> The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
> bloatware included.
>
> My Question:
>
> Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
> installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
> and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

Yes - I've done it
Synapse Syndrome

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I
> feel is causing problems.
>
> I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat...
> pure Vista.

There isn't any bloatware that come on Thinkpads, unless Lenovo have changed
things. You should uninstall any anti-virus programs and trial
applications, but there are several things that you should definitely
reinstall after you clean install Vista, otherwise your Thinkpad will not
work properly.

Make sure you have the chipset drivers first of all. You never mentioned
what model, so I cannot show you a link.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...testyle=lenovo

After that, if you install System Update 3, you should get most of the
things you need with that.

Essentials:

chipset, sound, network, wireless, etc drivers

trackpoint/trackpad drivers and web navigation key drivers

ACPI Power Management driver
Power Manager software

ThinkVantage Access Connections

On-screen dispay driver

Optional:

Thinkpad Configuration

Easy Eject

Full Screen Magnifier

Keyboard Customiser

Presentation Director

etc..

> Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
> installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
> and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM
> data?

If you can clone your hard drive using TrueImage first, there is no harm in
trying.

ss.

John

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. The 'bloatware' is all Lenovo
helper apps plus the garbage software companies paid Lenovo to install...
Office 2007, Norton.... need I say more.

Were all this 'bloatware' fully tested, I would not be attempting what I am.
But many issues I have had disappear if I uninstall some of the 'bloatware'.
Coincidence... you may say so, but I'm tired of blaming Vista for what could
be bad software from another source. So if I install a new, Vista only,
version, then I can honestly see if Vista is broken.

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
> I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
> legal.
>
> My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
> causing problems.
>
> I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
> Vista.
>
> The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
> bloatware included.
>
> My Question:
>
> Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
> installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
> and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

Leythos

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
In article <e#vkCvtBIHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org says...
> There isn't any bloatware that come on Thinkpads, unless Lenovo have changed
> things.

I've done about 30 Lenovo TP T61's last month, needed to remove Office
Trial and Google crap and several other things....

I also remove a lot of the Lenovo items to make life easier on the
remote people.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Rick Rogers

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
Hi,

Carey is correct in that the retail disk won't accept usage of the OEM
product key. Not so much legal as technical. Install the OEM recovery
product, and then immediately uninstall all the added programs. Your
thinkpad will require proprietary drivers not in the retail disk, and to
support the hardware correctly you need Lenovo's proprietary (OEM) version
of Vista installed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. The 'bloatware' is all
> Lenovo helper apps plus the garbage software companies paid Lenovo to
> install... Office 2007, Norton.... need I say more.
>
> Were all this 'bloatware' fully tested, I would not be attempting what I
> am. But many issues I have had disappear if I uninstall some of the
> 'bloatware'. Coincidence... you may say so, but I'm tired of blaming Vista
> for what could be bad software from another source. So if I install a
> new, Vista only, version, then I can honestly see if Vista is broken.
>

> "John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>>I have an OEM Vista Business on a Thinkpad from Lenovo. All is legal.
>> I have an Upgrade Vista CD to Vista Home Basic that I purchased. All is
>> legal.
>>
>> My Lenovo Vista Business came with all the usual bloatware that I feel is
>> causing problems.
>>
>> I want to install a new Vista Business OS without ANY the bloat... pure
>> Vista.
>>
>> The Restore CDs etc programs will only get me back to Factory specs...
>> bloatware included.
>>
>> My Question:
>>
>> Can I use the Vista Home Basic upgrade CD to get my Vista Business
>> installed ( I have read all versions of Vista are on the CDs)
>> and then get the telephone authorization approved based on my OEM data?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Clean Installation Question--Legal
John

All of these things can be removed. Go to 'Programs and Features' in Control
Panel to uninstall them. You will then have Vista Business as if it had been
installed from a genuine Vista Business DVD.