Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt

KevinE

Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt
I just tried to do an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate using the Anytime
Upgrade disk. After the first reboot, the boot manager fails with the error
Windows failed to load a critical system driver
File is \$Windows.~BT\Windows\system32\drivers\iastore.sys

Says to put the install disk in and Repair your computer. My laptop is an
Asus and only came with a recovery CD which dumps and image back on my hard
drive.

Can anybody help me here? Is this driver missing from the existing install
or is it something missing from the upgrade install (judging by the path to
the file above?).

Kevin
John Bryntze

RE: Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt
iastore.sys sounds to be Intels SATA disk driver no?
Download that driver from Intels homepage, when the setup asks Press F6 to
add driver, to so and put in the driver, seems that Vista don't have that
driver default, but it was probably added by the manufacture that sold you
the first version of Vista Home edition on your computer.

"KevinE" wrote:

> I just tried to do an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate using the Anytime
> Upgrade disk. After the first reboot, the boot manager fails with the error
> Windows failed to load a critical system driver
> File is \$Windows.~BT\Windows\system32\drivers\iastore.sys
>
> Says to put the install disk in and Repair your computer. My laptop is an
> Asus and only came with a recovery CD which dumps and image back on my hard
> drive.
>
> Can anybody help me here? Is this driver missing from the existing install
> or is it something missing from the upgrade install (judging by the path to
> the file above?).
>
> Kevin

KevinE

RE: Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt
Never did resolve my problem, I did enough poking around though to guess that
during the upgrade, it appears that a 64 bit driver was attempting to be
installed. Talked with MS tech support and they have had quite a few issues
doing the anytime upgrade. Ended up doing a clean install (as opposed to an
upgrade). There was also an issue with the license key from home upgrading to
ultimate. They ended up having to give me a new key. So at the end of the I
would avoid doing an upgrade and just go clean install. You will have to call
tech support to get a new key. Somebody along the way will tell you the home
key works for the upgrade but it doesn't. You have to get a new key. Took me
well over 16 hours to solve this with all of the various installation
combinations I tried.

"John Bryntze" wrote:

> iastore.sys sounds to be Intels SATA disk driver no?
> Download that driver from Intels homepage, when the setup asks Press F6 to
> add driver, to so and put in the driver, seems that Vista don't have that
> driver default, but it was probably added by the manufacture that sold you
> the first version of Vista Home edition on your computer.
>
> "KevinE" wrote:
>
> > I just tried to do an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate using the Anytime
> > Upgrade disk. After the first reboot, the boot manager fails with the error
> > Windows failed to load a critical system driver
> > File is \$Windows.~BT\Windows\system32\drivers\iastore.sys
> >
> > Says to put the install disk in and Repair your computer. My laptop is an
> > Asus and only came with a recovery CD which dumps and image back on my hard
> > drive.
> >
> > Can anybody help me here? Is this driver missing from the existing install
> > or is it something missing from the upgrade install (judging by the path to
> > the file above?).
> >
> > Kevin

OpaChristian

Re: Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt

I had exactly the same problem when trying to upgrade my pre-installed
Vista Business to Ultimate. For me, however, the following workaround
worked and might work for others as well.

1. After booting the first thing that will show up is a boot-selector
where you can choose between "Windows Setup" or "Windows Vista". If you
now do not interact the system will proceed with the setup an show you
that error message. Therefore, chose "Windows Vista" on time and
Windows will start normaly.
2. Open the explorer and browse to your drive C. There you will notice
that there is a second Windows directory called "$WINDOWS.~BT" (maybe
hidden). This is the setup directory which contains the files that had
been copied from the upgrade DVD.
3. Copy the file "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\iastor.sys" to
"C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\System32\drivers\iastor.s ys" and also to an
external drive like an USB Stick. You will need this later. Write down
the drive letter!
4. Reboot and do not interact when the boot selector shows up. You will
realize that the error message will not show up and the upgrade
procedure will proceed until the next re-boot.
5. After the next reboot you will probably see the same error message
again. It is not, however, as the corrupt file is now identified in the
directory C:\Windows\... instead of C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\...
6. Now insert your Vista-DVD and allow your computer to boot from it.
7. Select your language.
8. Now, do NOT press "Install". Instead, go to the lower left an click
"Computer repair options" or something similar (in German:
Computerreparaturoptionen).
9. You'll be asked for some System Repair Options. Select "No".
10. Now you are asked to select the Windows installation to be
repaired. Deselect any pre-selection by clickig into the white area and
click "Next" (ge: Weiter).
11. On the menu that will show up select the command line (last
entry).
12. On the command prompt enter "cd Windows\System32\drivers"
13. Now copy the file "iastor.sys" from your external drive by entering
"xcopy X:\iastor.sys" where X is to be replaced by the drive letter you
wrote down in item 3.
14. Eject the upgrade DVD and reboot your computer.

The upgrade procedure should now proceed with no further errors.

--
OpaChristian
OpaChristian's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37423

http://forums.techarena.in