After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?

tonybra

After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?
After fresh installing Vista on a secondary HD (E, when I boot I get the
option to start with XP (at C or with Vista (at E.... Do I have to
uninstall XP? Can I modify something in the booting process to let the XP
hybernating there and boot trhough VISTA straight? In case I do have to
uninstall XP, how is that made? Thanks.
peter

Re: After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?
You dont HAVE to delete XP...you have created a dual boot system.
Vista overwrote the XP MBR on the C drive and created a dual boot.
I would suggest you run this way for a couple of months to see if Vista
stays stable for you.
If you decide to Uninstall XP...after you save everything you need to from
the C drive...just format the C drive from within Vista and then restart
your system with the Vista DVD in place ..boot off the DVD and do a start up
repair
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...351033.mspx#EX
peter
"tonybra" <tonybra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After fresh installing Vista on a secondary HD (E, when I boot I get the
> option to start with XP (at C or with Vista (at E.... Do I have to
> uninstall XP? Can I modify something in the booting process to let the XP
> hybernating there and boot trhough VISTA straight? In case I do have to
> uninstall XP, how is that made? Thanks.

tonybra

Re: After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?
Thanks a lot Peter. Guess you´re right! Better keep XP sleeping there
somewhere and keep the possibility to get back to it in case I need. I just
get a little upset with the dual-boot screen, but that´s a minor problem...
Txs again. Tony

"peter" wrote:

> You dont HAVE to delete XP...you have created a dual boot system.
> Vista overwrote the XP MBR on the C drive and created a dual boot.
> I would suggest you run this way for a couple of months to see if Vista
> stays stable for you.
> If you decide to Uninstall XP...after you save everything you need to from
> the C drive...just format the C drive from within Vista and then restart
> your system with the Vista DVD in place ..boot off the DVD and do a start up
> repair
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...351033.mspx#EX
> peter
> "tonybra" <tonybra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After fresh installing Vista on a secondary HD (E, when I boot I get the
> > option to start with XP (at C or with Vista (at E.... Do I have to
> > uninstall XP? Can I modify something in the booting process to let the XP
> > hybernating there and boot trhough VISTA straight? In case I do have to
> > uninstall XP, how is that made? Thanks.

John Barnes

Re: After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?
You can boot straight to Vista if you use EasyBCD or VistaBootPro and remove
the legacy entry. If you want to keep XP available, change the boot time to
2 seconds which you will hardly notice but will give you the time to select
it if you want. When you decide to delete XP, you should change the boot
priority in the BIOS to have the Vista drive first in HD priority, then boot
from the DVD and run startup repair and reboot (sometimes requires up to 4
attempts). When you do boot into Vista, you can then go into disk
management and reformat the XP drive.

"tonybra" <tonybra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After fresh installing Vista on a secondary HD (E, when I boot I get the
> option to start with XP (at C or with Vista (at E.... Do I have to
> uninstall XP? Can I modify something in the booting process to let the XP
> hybernating there and boot trhough VISTA straight? In case I do have to
> uninstall XP, how is that made? Thanks.

Paul Randall

Re: After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?
Just remember that since you installed Vista on a partition that is assigned
the drive letter e: that it will only boot up and run from drive e:. So if
and when you delete XP, don't delete that partition because if you do, it
will change the drive letters assigned to the remaining partitions and the
Vista partition might no longer be assigned the letter e:.

-Paul Randall

"tonybra" <tonybra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA64F9FA-3F9E-4E3B-B8A9-5E35867C98AF@microsoft.com...
> Thanks a lot Peter. Guess youre right! Better keep XP sleeping there
> somewhere and keep the possibility to get back to it in case I need. I
> just
> get a little upset with the dual-boot screen, but thats a minor
> problem...
> Txs again. Tony
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> You dont HAVE to delete XP...you have created a dual boot system.
>> Vista overwrote the XP MBR on the C drive and created a dual boot.
>> I would suggest you run this way for a couple of months to see if Vista
>> stays stable for you.
>> If you decide to Uninstall XP...after you save everything you need to
>> from
>> the C drive...just format the C drive from within Vista and then restart
>> your system with the Vista DVD in place ..boot off the DVD and do a start
>> up
>> repair
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...351033.mspx#EX
>> peter
>> "tonybra" <tonybra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After fresh installing Vista on a secondary HD (E, when I boot I get
>> > the
>> > option to start with XP (at C or with Vista (at E.... Do I have
>> > uninstall XP? Can I modify something in the booting process to let the
>> > XP
>> > hybernating there and boot trhough VISTA straight? In case I do have
>> > uninstall XP, how is that made? Thanks.

Mac (Croatia)

RE: After fresh Vista install, why or how to uninstall XP?
Yes, it is better to uninstall XP , because on dual boot You don't have
restore function in Vista.

Mac