Olympus SP 510 UZ problems

Josy

Olympus SP 510 UZ problems
According to Olympus , camera sp 510 uz is supposed to be compatible with
vista but not the sofware Olympus Master. At this point that system cannot
even find the camera..never mind downloading any picts. It doesnt appears on
the list & the disk does nothing.
Anyone has any ideas how to make this work feel free to share, I am not keen
on downloading from card so unless I can find a better solution I am going
back to XP !
What were they thinking.....

Malke

Re: Olympus SP 510 UZ problems
Josy wrote:
> According to Olympus , camera sp 510 uz is supposed to be compatible with
> vista but not the sofware Olympus Master. At this point that system cannot
> even find the camera..never mind downloading any picts. It doesnt appears on
> the list & the disk does nothing.
> Anyone has any ideas how to make this work feel free to share, I am not keen
> on downloading from card so unless I can find a better solution I am going
> back to XP !
> What were they thinking.....

There is no way to make this work without drivers. I don't know why you
don't want to use a card reader. They are inexpensive and in general
work better than installing camera drivers. If you don't like the Photo
Gallery that comes with Vista, take a look at the excellent and free
Picasa from Google to work with your pictures.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Paul Randall

> Josy wrote:
>> According to Olympus , camera sp 510 uz is supposed to be compatible with
>> vista but not the sofware Olympus Master. At this point that system
>> cannot even find the camera..never mind downloading any picts. It doesnt
>> appears on the list & the disk does nothing.
>> Anyone has any ideas how to make this work feel free to share, I am not
>> keen on downloading from card so unless I can find a better solution I am
>> going back to XP !
>> What were they thinking.....
>>

> There is no way to make this work without drivers. I don't know why you
> don't want to use a card reader. They are inexpensive and in general work
> better than installing camera drivers. If you don't like the Photo Gallery
> that comes with Vista, take a look at the excellent and free Picasa from
> Google to work with your pictures.

Hi, Malke

I can think of one reason to avoid pulling the card. If a person is a
little klutzy or having a bad day, it can be easy to insert the card not
quite straight. The grounding pin is typically a little longer than the
other pins in the connector. My sister managed to bend that pin inside the
camera. Not easy to fix. It was one of those cheap $1000 Nikon D80's or
something like that.

I can't imagine Vista's not having built-in generic drivers for the OP's
camera but I suppose its possible that the camera was made a little
non-standard to save a buck or two.

-Paul Randall

Josy

Re: Olympus SP 510 UZ problems
I have in fact a card reader right in front of my tower, right on the money
about the pin...I am worried of ruining the card. Just spend good money on
the cam & would like to enjoy it!

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Josy wrote:
> >> According to Olympus , camera sp 510 uz is supposed to be compatible with
> >> vista but not the sofware Olympus Master. At this point that system
> >> cannot even find the camera..never mind downloading any picts. It doesnt
> >> appears on the list & the disk does nothing.
> >> Anyone has any ideas how to make this work feel free to share, I am not
> >> keen on downloading from card so unless I can find a better solution I am
> >> going back to XP !
> >> What were they thinking.....
> >>

> > There is no way to make this work without drivers. I don't know why you
> > don't want to use a card reader. They are inexpensive and in general work
> > better than installing camera drivers. If you don't like the Photo Gallery
> > that comes with Vista, take a look at the excellent and free Picasa from
> > Google to work with your pictures.

> Hi, Malke
>
> I can think of one reason to avoid pulling the card. If a person is a
> little klutzy or having a bad day, it can be easy to insert the card not
> quite straight. The grounding pin is typically a little longer than the
> other pins in the connector. My sister managed to bend that pin inside the
> camera. Not easy to fix. It was one of those cheap $1000 Nikon D80's or
> something like that.
>
> I can't imagine Vista's not having built-in generic drivers for the OP's
> camera but I suppose its possible that the camera was made a little
> non-standard to save a buck or two.
>
> -Paul Randall

Dominic Payer

Re: Olympus SP 510 UZ problems
Olympus Master 2 is fully Vista compatible. Check your local Olympus site
for the free download.

If you shoot RAW there are also 32-bit and 64-bit RAW codecs for Vista.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/20...&os=10&result=

Does your camera have the latest firmware? The latest version for the
SP-510UZ is 1.2.
If it worked with XP the transfer mode is presumably already set correctly.
Are you sure the problem is with the camera and not with the USB port?

Downloading from a memory card is generally preferred to downloading direct
from the camera. It is faster and does not drain the camera battery.