XP install boot cd can't recognize my new laptop internal Disk dri

Henry Hsu

XP install boot cd can't recognize my new laptop internal Disk dri
I just bought a new HP Vista OS laptop. I found out most of my application
would not work on this new laptop. My choices are either make dual boot Wista
and XP or XP only which just find for last five years.

Butt after try to boot from XP install CD, the internal drive is not
showing, and I install to one of my USB external drive with no problem during
the installation. But the system won't boot after restart.

I question are:
1. How Can I make the internal drive dual boot?
2. How Can I make the internal drive available during the XP installation?

Mick Murphy

RE: XP install boot cd can't recognize my new laptop internal Disk dri
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Have a read of the above, especially the Prepare Windows part at the start.
It is about partitioning.

"Henry Hsu" wrote:

> I just bought a new HP Vista OS laptop. I found out most of my application
> would not work on this new laptop. My choices are either make dual boot Wista
> and XP or XP only which just find for last five years.
>
> Butt after try to boot from XP install CD, the internal drive is not
> showing, and I install to one of my USB external drive with no problem during
> the installation. But the system won't boot after restart.
>
> I question are:
> 1. How Can I make the internal drive dual boot?
> 2. How Can I make the internal drive available during the XP installation?

Paul Randall

"Henry Hsu" <Henry Hsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new HP Vista OS laptop. I found out most of my application
> would not work on this new laptop. My choices are either make dual boot
> Wista
> and XP or XP only which just find for last five years.
>
> Butt after try to boot from XP install CD, the internal drive is not
> showing, and I install to one of my USB external drive with no problem
> during
> the installation. But the system won't boot after restart.
>
> I question are:
> 1. How Can I make the internal drive dual boot?
> 2. How Can I make the internal drive available during the XP installation?

I think you need to step back and research the issues.

1. Many computers with Vista preinstalled may have their hardware or BIOS
optimized for Vista. Perhaps WXP can not run on these computers.

2. Vista needs Vista-compatible drivers for the hardware in the laptop. HP
provides these drivers. WXP needs XP-compatible drivers for the hardware in
the laptop. HP gets no money for creating or testing XP-compatible drivers,
so they probably have none on their web site. If you can find XP-compatible
drivers, there is no guarantee that WXP will run well on the laptop.

3. HP probably won't do any warrantee work on the laptop unless you
reinstall the original system installed on the hard drive.

4. If you are determined to try installing WXP, I would suggest installing
WXP on a new hard drive (or save a verified-good image of the hard drive and
reformat it before installing WXP). You may need to zero out the master
boot record of the hard drive.

-Paul Randall

Member

Location: on the moon
uncle_fred will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as said go to HP Notebook PCs*-* Availability of Software and Drivers for Vista Capable PCs* you will find on your cd you got with the laptop are the drivers for vista to put the image or install vista on your laptop for xp you will need the sata driver and by insta lling F6 and use the driver from HP
John Barnes

Re: XP install boot cd can't recognize my new laptop internal Disk dri

"Henry Hsu" <Henry Hsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new HP Vista OS laptop. I found out most of my application
> would not work on this new laptop. My choices are either make dual boot
> Wista
> and XP or XP only which just find for last five years.
>
> Butt after try to boot from XP install CD, the internal drive is not
> showing, and I install to one of my USB external drive with no problem
> during
> the installation. But the system won't boot after restart.
>
> I question are:
> 1. How Can I make the internal drive dual boot?
> 2. How Can I make the internal drive available during the XP installation?

You can make the internal drive available during the XP installation by
hitting F6 VERY shortly after the beginning of the install (see the bottom
of the screen) when you will need to provide the XP SATA drivers for your
laptop chipset. Given that this is an HP and they have been driver
challenged, I doubt that they are available unless you can buy your machine
with XP installed. In that case I would suggest you return the laptop and
exchange it for one with XP already installed.

Simon Zerafa

Re: XP install boot cd can't recognize my new laptop internal Disk dri
Hi,

It is very likely that your laptop is using a SATA or PATA controller which
the stock XP install CD does not recognise.

Vista includes a better selection of drivers for hard disk controllers.

You will need to identify which hard disk controller your Laptop uses and
then locate and download the drivers needed to install Window XP.

These will need to go onto a floppy drive and then you need to select F6 at
the beginning of the install process to load those drivers for XP to use
during the installation.

It is also possible to integrate a wider selection of drivers onto a Windows
XP install CD to work-around these issues.

Frankly even if you get this to work there is a fair chance that there would
be some other driver(s) you will need to locate and install to complete your
XP installation and have all of the hardware working correctly.

In some cases XP drivers are not available for some laptop hardware. I have
seen this issue with some Acer laptops already, Vista only drivers for Vista
supplied laptops.

You might be better off investigating the options for using a Virtual
Machine software which will run XP in a Window on your Vista Desktop. If you
go this route then ensure you have at least 2 GBytes of RAM installed,
ideally as much as will work with the laptop.

If you are not happy with doing any of this yourself then locate and use the
services of a competent local PC Technician to help you.

Kind Regards

Simon

John

Re: XP install boot cd can't recognize my new laptop internal Disk dri
Go into the BIOS and see if you have the choice of making the HDD boot in
ATA compatible mode. Then you can get the SATA drivers later.