System builder pre-installing software on Vista

sebbelcher

System builder pre-installing software on Vista
Hi folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm building a Vista machine for my
cousin and I'm wondering how to pre-install software on Vista.

I can just about remember the days when I bought computers from system
builders like Dell and I always noted how when you booted them up for the
first time you'd be presented with the Windows post-install screen, asking
you to setup computer name, users and other such details. However once you
had done this and the desktop opened up you'd find plenty of applications
pre-installed, like Office, Nero etc.

I know you can do this through making custom images of Windows, but is there
a simpler way of doing it for one-offs?

All I want to do is install OEM Vista, install the other applications he's
paid for, then revert Vista back to a state as if it had just been installed,
so he can create his own user accounts, name the computer, etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Mick Murphy

RE: System builder pre-installing software on Vista
You are not pre-installing, you are installing.

Buy an OEM or full version disk, depending what you want to pay!
OEM disk is tied to that computer, only drawback.

Set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD with disk in it, and install Vista, as per
instructions.

If you have a SATA hard drive, get the drivers for it 1st, as you will need
them to install Vista.

All other applications, Nero, Office, etc, have to be installed after Vista
is installed.
You don't have a massive production line in Malaysia, lol.

And put his name in as the user account! What could be simpler. He can
change the comp name afterwards.

"sebbelcher" wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm building a Vista machine for my
> cousin and I'm wondering how to pre-install software on Vista.

> I can just about remember the days when I bought computers from system
> builders like Dell and I always noted how when you booted them up for the
> first time you'd be presented with the Windows post-install screen, asking
> you to setup computer name, users and other such details. However once you
> had done this and the desktop opened up you'd find plenty of applications
> pre-installed, like Office, Nero etc.
>
> I know you can do this through making custom images of Windows, but is there
> a simpler way of doing it for one-offs?
>
> All I want to do is install OEM Vista, install the other applications he's
> paid for, then revert Vista back to a state as if it had just been installed,
> so he can create his own user accounts, name the computer, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers.

sebbelcher

RE: System builder pre-installing software on Vista
Cheers Mick but you've missed the point, granted I did mis-use the phrase
pre-installed, perhaps ready-to-use apps is a better name for them!

I make computers all the time, it's becomming a lucrative little business as
word spreads around and I was just wondering how I could do the ready-to-use
apps to make the finished product seem more professional.

Yes granted in this case it's fine because I know his name and he wouldn't
mind me setting up his computer name and user accounts, but when I make PCs
for local businesses its a bit different. There is nothing worse than having
to deliver the computer then spend 3 hours on-site installing all the
software, but then it looks unprofessional to deliver the PC in an 'already
used' condition.

Was just going to use this build as a test for any suggestions on how to do
it, because I know it can be done somehow! Is there a registry key that will
revert Vista to 'first-use' status? Or could I log in as administrator from
the command line/safe mode and install the apps without ever making a regular
user account?

Seb.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You are not pre-installing, you are installing.
>
> Buy an OEM or full version disk, depending what you want to pay!
> OEM disk is tied to that computer, only drawback.
>
> Set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD with disk in it, and install Vista, as per
> instructions.
>
> If you have a SATA hard drive, get the drivers for it 1st, as you will need
> them to install Vista.
>
> All other applications, Nero, Office, etc, have to be installed after Vista
> is installed.
> You don't have a massive production line in Malaysia, lol.
>
> And put his name in as the user account! What could be simpler. He can
> change the comp name afterwards.
>
> "sebbelcher" wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm building a Vista machine for my
> > cousin and I'm wondering how to pre-install software on Vista.

> > I can just about remember the days when I bought computers from system
> > builders like Dell and I always noted how when you booted them up for the
> > first time you'd be presented with the Windows post-install screen, asking
> > you to setup computer name, users and other such details. However once you
> > had done this and the desktop opened up you'd find plenty of applications
> > pre-installed, like Office, Nero etc.
> >
> > I know you can do this through making custom images of Windows, but is there
> > a simpler way of doing it for one-offs?
> >
> > All I want to do is install OEM Vista, install the other applications he's
> > paid for, then revert Vista back to a state as if it had just been installed,
> > so he can create his own user accounts, name the computer, etc.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers.

Paul Randall

Re: System builder pre-installing software on Vista
I think what you are trying to do is be a 'system builder'. If you purchase
a 3-pack of OEM Vista, I think it includes some or all the system builder
info. Paste the following line into a google search:
system builder site:microsoft.com
You might also search the Vista groups for waik, a microsoft kit free
download which can be used to create and modify the preinstall environment.

-Paul Randall

"sebbelcher" <sebbelcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> > asking
>> > you to setup computer name, users and other such details. However once
>> > you
>> > had done this and the desktop opened up you'd find plenty of
>> > applications
>> > pre-installed, like Office, Nero etc.
>> >
>> > I know you can do this through making custom images of Windows, but is
>> > there
>> > a simpler way of doing it for one-offs?
>> >
>> > All I want to do is install OEM Vista, install the other applications
>> > he's
>> > paid for, then revert Vista back to a state as if it had just been
>> > installed,
>> > so he can create his own user accounts, name the computer, etc.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Cheers.

Mick Murphy

RE: System builder pre-installing software on Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx

Just join the above.