HP Pavilion laptop Home Pre -> Utilmate upgrade failure

Brian Hoyt

HP Pavilion laptop Home Pre -> Utilmate upgrade failure
I am trying to upgrade a new HP Pavilion from Home Premium to Ultimate. The
install gets based expanding files and then says an application is
preventing upgrade and rolls back. It doesn't indicate what is causing it
to stop. I ran the upgrade advisor and it didn't indicate any blocking
issues. Is there a log file that I can look at to help determine what the
blocking application is?

Brian Hoyt

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

RE: HP Pavilion laptop Home Pre -> Utilmate upgrade failure
You should have a setupact.log file from the installation. That will give
you more information as to whats causing the problem, the file is in the
Windows\Panther directory. Additionally, you might want to check the
setuperr.log thats also in that directory.

Joseph W. Conway, MCSE
Windows Server Group

JBall

RE: HP Pavilion laptop Home Pre -> Utilmate upgrade failure
I am having the same problem on a HP Pavilion a1777c desktop. I purchase an
upgrade to Ultimate, there was a (or some) files downloaded to the computer.
It is currently Home Premium and I am trying to use the upgrade anytime disk
that came with the system. It looks likes the upgrade is almost done, but
then stops and rolls back with no explaination except some system application
cold not be configured. Upgrade adviser reports no problems except there is
no status on my HP 1020 printer, so I re-tried the upgrade after deleting the
printer.
I looked at the two files in the panther subdirectory, setupact looks like
it written from the initial Vista install, in March of this year. The
setuperr is empty. I used notepad to look at them. I also found the same
named files in /unattendgc, but I got an "access is denied" when I tried to
view them.
Any other suggestions? Thanksfor your help. Joe

""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" wrote:

> You should have a setupact.log file from the installation. That will give
> you more information as to whats causing the problem, the file is in the
> Windows\Panther directory. Additionally, you might want to check the
> setuperr.log thats also in that directory.
>
> Joseph W. Conway, MCSE
> Windows Server Group

JBall

RE: HP Pavilion laptop Home Pre -> Utilmate upgrade failure
Okay, after more looking around I found a file named setuperr in
/windows/logs. It looks like my attempts at upgradeing have been writting to
this file. The last entry is:

2007-10-09 14:18:22, Error CreateFileW failed,
FileName:\\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downl oad\ff1234b533551aed9b465f6e291a4d6a\$dpx$.tmp\job .xml, Error:0x80070002

All other entries for other attempts look simular except for the base 16
type looking number in the middle after "Download". Any suggestions what this
means or how I fix what ever problem there is? Thanks, Joe