anytime upgrade shortcut

=?Utf-8?B?TWNH?=

anytime upgrade shortcut
This is something i was considering when considering an anytime upgrade, and
was wondering if it would work. As i am still reading up on the unattended
installs for vista, i will likely use XP terminology:

Is there any way to do a silent install of business, and then as the last
thing in the install, have it run the install program to silently install
ultimate (similar to having the install statement in the runonceex registry
key) to perform the upgrade to ultimate silently? Thanks!
Conor

Re: anytime upgrade shortcut
In article <20572994-6820-471B-A178-444ECF298C66@microsoft.com>, McG
says...
> This is something i was considering when considering an anytime upgrade, and
> was wondering if it would work. As i am still reading up on the unattended
> installs for vista, i will likely use XP terminology:
>
> Is there any way to do a silent install of business, and then as the last
> thing in the install, have it run the install program to silently install
> ultimate (similar to having the install statement in the runonceex registry
> key) to perform the upgrade to ultimate silently? Thanks!

The way tyhe Anytime Upgrade works is that a file is downloaded. As
well as that, a the file is placed in a Windows Marketplace Digital
Locker and that also shows you your installation key (Although I used
Belarc Advisor to get mine). You then execute it and then run Setup off
the installation Media whilst the "AT Upgrade" file is still open. At
whatever point, the AT Upgrade file inserts the CD Key (You aren't
presented with a Insert Product Key Dialogue).

HOWEVER there's nothing to stop you installing business then rerunning
setup and this time have it enter the product key Anytime Upgrade gave
you.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
=?Utf-8?B?TWNH?=

Re: anytime upgrade shortcut

> The way tyhe Anytime Upgrade works is that a file is downloaded. As
> well as that, a the file is placed in a Windows Marketplace Digital
> Locker and that also shows you your installation key (Although I used
> Belarc Advisor to get mine). You then execute it and then run Setup off
> the installation Media whilst the "AT Upgrade" file is still open. At
> whatever point, the AT Upgrade file inserts the CD Key (You aren't
> presented with a Insert Product Key Dialogue).
>
> HOWEVER there's nothing to stop you installing business then rerunning
> setup and this time have it enter the product key Anytime Upgrade gave
> you.
>

> --
> Conor

Most of that i already understood (havent even paid for the upgrade yet, so
i havent done it yet. my main question was, would it be possible to use 2
answer files, one that works for business, and as it's last command,
activates the upgrade to ultimate, so that I could start it up, go to work,
and 8 hours later come home to a computer installed with ultimate.
McG
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

Re: anytime upgrade shortcut
there is no need to do so..

All the Vistas are on your Disc, even if you have a HomeBasic DVD, it
contains all up to Ultimate, regardless what the cover or printing says.

Vista is one universal install-image and only the typed in Product Key
decidedes what features and edition you will get.

Anytime Upgrade is simply only buying a new Key and unlocking features with
the very same disc you alread have.

So just use the NEW Key instead of the original and you have your edition
with the first install, just never use the Key of the cheaper edition again.

SJ /germany

"Sascha Benjamin Jazbec" wrote:

> there is no need to do so..
>
> All the Vistas are on your Disc, even if you have a HomeBasic DVD, it
> contains all up to Ultimate, regardless what the cover or printing says.
>
> Vista is one universal install-image and only the typed in Product Key
> decidedes what features and edition you will get.
>
> Anytime Upgrade is simply only buying a new Key and unlocking features with
> the very same disc you alread have.
>
> So just use the NEW Key instead of the original and you have your edition
> with the first install, just never use the Key of the cheaper edition again.
>
> SJ /germany

Are you sure on this? I thought because anytime upgrade WAS an upgrade,
that it had to be installed on a previously installed OS. has anyone tried a
direct install of an Anytime upgrade? If what your saying works, ill go for
it right now, but i didnt think upgrades worked that way.
McG
quakechick

McG wrote:

> "Sascha Benjamin Jazbec" wrote:
>
>> there is no need to do so..
>>
>> All the Vistas are on your Disc, even if you have a HomeBasic DVD, it
>> contains all up to Ultimate, regardless what the cover or printing says.
>>
>> Vista is one universal install-image and only the typed in Product Key
>> decidedes what features and edition you will get.
>>
>> Anytime Upgrade is simply only buying a new Key and unlocking features with
>> the very same disc you alread have.
>>
>> So just use the NEW Key instead of the original and you have your edition
>> with the first install, just never use the Key of the cheaper edition again.
>>
>> SJ /germany
>>

> Are you sure on this? I thought because anytime upgrade WAS an upgrade,
> that it had to be installed on a previously installed OS. has anyone tried a
> direct install of an Anytime upgrade? If what your saying works, ill go for
> it right now, but i didnt think upgrades worked that way.
> McG

it can be done. If you were having trouble with drivers i would suggest
doing a clean install to basic and then update drivers and then do the
upgrade to whatever version purchased