Re: Remove XP from dual-boot

Ned Buckmaster

Re: Remove XP from dual-boot
Okay - that was WAY too hard. There must be must be an easier way, but this
is how I did it. Actual steps are short - finding them took a long time!

1. Mark the Vista partition as active in Disk Manager.

2. Copy Boot.ini, bootmgr, and boot subdirectory from XP drive to Vista
drive. Two files in the boot subdirectory will not copy because they are in
use - that's okay.

3.Turn off computer and disconnect the XP drive. This may not be necessary
if your bios allows the next step.

4. Move the Vista disk to the first disk position in the 'hard disk boot
order' in bios.

5. Boot to the Vista DVD (64-bit in my case)

6. Choose repair windows and let it fix, repair, install ,whatever, the boot
sector on the vista disk.

Voila! Now does not ask which OS, just boots right to Vista.

It amazes me that there is not a standard built-in way to does this - When
upgrading from XP x86 to Vista 64bit, installing to another drive seems like
a natural way to do it.

Ned

"Ned Buckmaster" <Ned@Buckmaster.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded an existing XP MCE install to Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Vista
>installed to a partition on another hard drive - a 74G Raptor. System is
>now dual-boot between Vista and XP. Both drives are SATA.
>
> I am happy with Vista, and want to remove XP from Disk 0 which (under
> Vista) is the D drive. However, that partition in Disk Manager is marked
> as (System, Active, Primary Partition) and cannot be formatted or deleted.
> The Vista partition on disk 1 is marked (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump,
> Primary Partition), but not Active. I'm wary of marking it as active....as
> I'm not sure what I'm doing there.
>
> I've tried to boot the computer with the XP drive disconnected, but it
> won't boot. I've tried to do a repair from the Vista disk with the XP
> drive disconnected, but it can't find ANY windows installs. I've tried
> anyway - I can SEE the Vista drive when I browse for drivers....
>
> Is there any way other than a complete new install without the XP drive
> connected and a format of the Vista drive?
>
> Ned

John Barnett MVP

Re: Remove XP from dual-boot
Ned, if it's anything like my experience as soon as you re-enable the second
hard drive vista refuses to boot again. Doing a startup repair simply puts
the boot files on the second hard drive rather than the first. In the end i
simply reformatted both drives re-installed XP, created another partition
and then installed Vista. The boot files on the second hard drive, by the
way, was due to the BIOS, apparently. As no new BIOS updates were available
fro my machine (which is 2 years old) the above scenario was the only
solution.

I originally dual booted and all i wanted to do was wipe the drive and
install Vista on drive 0. Install went fine, rebooted machine and got a
'cannot find operating system' message. Took out the second hard drive and
did a startup repair, Vista worked perfect. Installed the second hard drive
again and rebooted 'operating system not found' message again. Did a startup
repair and vista created a 10GB partition on the second hard drive and
installed the boot files there. It was actually a nightmare to finally get
things working how i wanted them to - unfortunately that meant re-installing
xp and vista on a dual boot system again. The alternative, of course, would
have been to buy a larger hard drive (my machine runs 2 x 80GB drives).

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org