Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=

Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate
I had to choose the custom option for the install. It saved my old files in a
folder called windows.old.

The PC is working fine (except I cannot restart or shutdown without using
the power button on my PC).

Can I safely delete this folder now? (windows.old)
KYHighlander

Re: Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate
There are some more options on the start menu to the right of the button
that looks like the power button, have you tried those? I only ask because
Vista is a bit different than XP, not trying to make you look bad.

--
KY
www.posernation.com

"Jimbo" <Jimbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to choose the custom option for the install. It saved my old files in
> folder called windows.old.
>
> The PC is working fine (except I cannot restart or shutdown without using
> the power button on my PC).
>
> Can I safely delete this folder now? (windows.old)

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate
Hi,

If there's nothing in it you want, then yes it is safe to delete.

As to the shutdown issue, there is more than likely a device driver that is
causing the issue. It's not terminating properly. I would check with
component manufacturers for possible updates (not Windows Update, but the
maker of the hardware).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jimbo" <Jimbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to choose the custom option for the install. It saved my old files in
> folder called windows.old.
>
> The PC is working fine (except I cannot restart or shutdown without using
> the power button on my PC).
>
> Can I safely delete this folder now? (windows.old)

=?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=

Re: Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate
Yes I have tried the other options as well. Thanks.

"KYHighlander" wrote:

> There are some more options on the start menu to the right of the button
> that looks like the power button, have you tried those? I only ask because
> Vista is a bit different than XP, not trying to make you look bad.
>
> --
> KY
> www.posernation.com
>

> "Jimbo" <Jimbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to choose the custom option for the install. It saved my old files in
> > folder called windows.old.
> >
> > The PC is working fine (except I cannot restart or shutdown without using
> > the power button on my PC).
> >
> > Can I safely delete this folder now? (windows.old)

=?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZXJmb3JnZXQ=?=

RE: Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate
The recommended way to delete Windows.old to me by Microsoft was to re-start
and go into Windows Safe Mode with Networking, then delete the folder, then
restart.