Partitions on harddisk

Scott

Partitions on harddisk
I have a big hard disk of 320 GB in which there are two partitions: C for
application & data and D for recovery. Can I create one more partition for
data storage from application programs and OS and call it as D drive using
any utility in Vista Home Premium and change the existing D for recovery to
E. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Sucka

Re: Partitions on harddisk

Your wording is very confusing, but if i understand correctly... you can
create another partition using software. You can rename partitions, and
move data between them. I would not advise you to rename any partitions
that contain programs or system files.

--
Sucka
Rock

Re: Partitions on harddisk
"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote

>I have a big hard disk of 320 GB in which there are two partitions: C for
>application & data and D for recovery. Can I create one more partition for
>data storage from application programs and OS and call it as D drive using
>any utility in Vista Home Premium and change the existing D for recovery to
>E. Your advice is appreciated.

Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then create
a new one from that space, and assign it as D.

Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Scott

Re: Partitions on harddisk
Rock,

Thanks for your advice. I do not understand why I need to shrink partition
E as partition C occupies nearly 300 GB of the hard disk. Should I shrink
partition C instead of E?

Scott

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> 秎ン news:OVUaPF0UHHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl
い级糶...
> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote
>
>>I have a big hard disk of 320 GB in which there are two partitions: C for
>>application & data and D for recovery. Can I create one more partition
>>for data storage from application programs and OS and call it as D drive
>>using any utility in Vista Home Premium and change the existing D for
>>recovery to E. Your advice is appreciated.

> Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then
> create a new one from that space, and assign it as D.
>
> Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnes

Re: Partitions on harddisk
Yes, shrink your C partition. Make sure your recovery process works with
the changes before you get too far. You don't want to find yourself with a
problem and have to wait for the vendor to ship you something before you can
recover.

"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
> Rock,
>
> Thanks for your advice. I do not understand why I need to shrink
> partition E as partition C occupies nearly 300 GB of the hard disk.
> Should I shrink partition C instead of E?
>
> Scott
>
> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> 秎ン news:OVUaPF0UHHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl
> い级糶...
>> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote
>>
>>>I have a big hard disk of 320 GB in which there are two partitions: C for
>>>application & data and D for recovery. Can I create one more partition
>>>for data storage from application programs and OS and call it as D drive
>>>using any utility in Vista Home Premium and change the existing D for
>>>recovery to E. Your advice is appreciated.

>> Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then
>> create a new one from that space, and assign it as D.
>>
>> Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Partitions on harddisk
"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote

> Rock,
>
> Thanks for your advice. I do not understand why I need to shrink
> partition E as partition C occupies nearly 300 GB of the hard disk.
> Should I shrink partition C instead of E?
>
> Scott
>
> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote
>>
>>>I have a big hard disk of 320 GB in which there are two partitions: C for
>>>application & data and D for recovery. Can I create one more partition
>>>for data storage from application programs and OS and call it as D drive
>>>using any utility in Vista Home Premium and change the existing D for
>>>recovery to E. Your advice is appreciated.

>> Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then
>> create a new one from that space, and assign it as D.
>>
>> Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.

Shrink which ever one your want. I had assumed the D partition was larger.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Scott

Re: Partitions on harddisk
Thanks for your useful advice. I have shrinked the drive C from about 300
GB to 185 GB and created 107 GB as drive D successfully. I would like to
shrink the drive C to less than 100 GB since currently there is a space of
147 GB on drive C and give all space to drive D. However, the disk
management cannot allow me to shrink any more. Is there any reason not to
allow me to do it?

Thanks,

Scott

"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> 秎ン
news:uLRs7Q1UHHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl い级糶...
> Rock,
>
> Thanks for your advice. I do not understand why I need to shrink
> partition E as partition C occupies nearly 300 GB of the hard disk.
> Should I shrink partition C instead of E?
>
> Scott
>
> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> 秎ン news:OVUaPF0UHHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl
> い级糶...
>> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote
>>
>>>I have a big hard disk of 320 GB in which there are two partitions: C for
>>>application & data and D for recovery. Can I create one more partition
>>>for data storage from application programs and OS and call it as D drive
>>>using any utility in Vista Home Premium and change the existing D for
>>>recovery to E. Your advice is appreciated.

>> Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then
>> create a new one from that space, and assign it as D.
>>
>> Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnes

Re: Partitions on harddisk
If you have unmovable files on it, they may be in the middle of the
freespace. These may be the pagefile or the system restore files. You can
move the pagefile to your D drive and not have one on C, but I don't know of
a way to move the others. You should do a defrag before you try your shrink
the next time.

> Thanks for your useful advice. I have shrinked the drive C from about 300
> GB to 185 GB and created 107 GB as drive D successfully. I would like to
> shrink the drive C to less than 100 GB since currently there is a space of
> 147 GB on drive C and give all space to drive D. However, the disk
> management cannot allow me to shrink any more. Is there any reason not to
> allow me to do it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> 秎ン
> news:uLRs7Q1UHHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl い级糶...
>> Rock,
>>
>> Thanks for your advice. I do not understand why I need to shrink
>> partition E as partition C occupies nearly 300 GB of the hard disk.
>> Should I shrink partition C instead of E?
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> 秎ン
>> news:OVUaPF0UHHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl い级糶...
>>> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote

>>> Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then
>>> create a new one from that space, and assign it as D.
>>>
>>> Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Partitions on harddisk
"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote

> Thanks for your useful advice. I have shrinked the drive C from about 300
> GB to 185 GB and created 107 GB as drive D successfully. I would like to
> shrink the drive C to less than 100 GB since currently there is a space of
> 147 GB on drive C and give all space to drive D. However, the disk
> management cannot allow me to shrink any more. Is there any reason not to
> allow me to do it?

> "Scott" wrote

>> Rock,
>>
>> Thanks for your advice. I do not understand why I need to shrink
>> partition E as partition C occupies nearly 300 GB of the hard disk.
>> Should I shrink partition C instead of E?
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> "Rock" wrote

>>> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote

>>> Yes use disk management. Rename D to E, shrink the E partition, then
>>> create a new one from that space, and assign it as D.
>>>
>>> Right click My Computer, manage, disk management.

Depends on where some unmovable files are. You could try reducing the size
using the command line tool diskpart from an elevated command prompt.
You'll have to spend some time figuring out how it works but I was able to
use it to shrink a volume more than what disk management would allow, though
I don't think it was the system volume and there was no page file on it.

Type diskpart. Then when the command prompt appears as DISKPART>, type
help.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]