Vista Install fails, xp lost dvd drives

=?Utf-8?B?UFdG?=

Vista Install fails, xp lost dvd drives
First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just an
nforce network device.
I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
critical updates prior.

After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable to
find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.

I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.

AOPEN DUW1616/APR
LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.

I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say the
device driver is present but the device is not.

Sytem:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
3GB RAM
Video: GeForce 7600GS
K8N Neo4 Series Main Board

Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.

Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and then
hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

Any suggestions on

Bill

Re: Vista Install fails, xp lost dvd drives
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:00:13 -0800, PWF wrote:

> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just an
> nforce network device.
> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
> critical updates prior.
>
> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable to
> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
>
> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
>
> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
>
> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.

You could try deleting the drives and letting Windows Xp find them again.
Go to system, device manager, place cursor over drive, press delete key.
Place cursor over other drive, press delete key. Restart computer.