Reinstalling Vista

Karl

Reinstalling Vista
Hi,

I've had Vista (64-bit) installed pretty much since it was launched.
However, having installed a lot of software, it's now pretty flakey. I'd like
to reinstall the same copy on the same machine so I can start from fresh (and
I now have a Vista-compatible disk-imaging programme). Will I be able to do
this?

I've had bad experiences before of being unable to reinstall Office 2003 on
the same machine: I don't want the same to happen with Vista (particularly as
it will cost a lot more to replace).

Thanks

Karl
Malke

Re: Reinstalling Vista
Karl wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've had Vista (64-bit) installed pretty much since it was launched.
> However, having installed a lot of software, it's now pretty flakey. I'd like
> to reinstall the same copy on the same machine so I can start from fresh (and
> I now have a Vista-compatible disk-imaging programme). Will I be able to do
> this?
>
> I've had bad experiences before of being unable to reinstall Office 2003 on
> the same machine: I don't want the same to happen with Vista (particularly as
> it will cost a lot more to replace).

Of course you can do a clean install of Vista. If you have any problems
activating it, simply do it over the telephone. You'll be given a number
to call.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
JimH

RE: Reinstalling Vista
Hi Karl,
I just did a reInstall of VISTA on my desktop. I only wanted to repair a
minor problem and got into a real mess. I later learned that there is a
REPAIR option on the VISTA disc IF you boot from the VISTA DVD.
Also, IF the installer asks to enter your MS key but it says this is
optional; I suggest that you enter it even if you are only reInstalling on
the same machine. VISTA upgrade apparently erases the OS and the KEY before
installing the OS again! I had to talk with MS for an hour twice to get them
all the info they wanted before they would give me a new KEY. MS servers
said my old key was still in use, so I could not ACTIVATE it. I could not do
anything with that computer (except buy another key). Now I have the new key
writen on a scrap of paper with the VISTA DVD.
Jim H.

"Karl" wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've had Vista (64-bit) installed pretty much since it was launched.
> However, having installed a lot of software, it's now pretty flakey. I'd like
> to reinstall the same copy on the same machine so I can start from fresh (and
> I now have a Vista-compatible disk-imaging programme). Will I be able to do
> this?
>
> I've had bad experiences before of being unable to reinstall Office 2003 on
> the same machine: I don't want the same to happen with Vista (particularly as
> it will cost a lot more to replace).
>
> Thanks
>
> Karl

Rick Rogers

Re: Reinstalling Vista
Hi,

That "repair" function is just a startup repair. It fixes problems with the
boot path and startup files. It does not fix anything within the OS itself.
Vista does not have a full repair install function as did previous versions
of Windows.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/