No DVD sound after Ultimate upgrade

dmacp

No DVD sound after Ultimate upgrade
Hi,

I recently bought a Sony vgx-xl301 media centre pc with Vista Premium
Installed. I took the enclosed Ultimate upgrade disk and all was sweet -
apart from the lack of sound. No problem remove the sigmatel drivers and
reinstall. This worked - almost

I have no sound from dvds in MS media centre. Sony won't support me unless I
unimpressed as it gets about this. They suggest Microsoft will sort this.

I tried the bundled intervideo windvd. Interestingly I heard the first few
notes of the dvd intro' as the app' started then it stopped as well!!

I have searched to find where the setting is to get this working, but to no
avail.

It outputs to HDMI. All other sound works. The appropriate mixer controls
are there. No driver updates are available. I have redone the drivers a
number of times as per the instructions on the sigmatel site (hard to find
these instructions, a very poor show). Maybe I'm missing something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thomas

Re: No DVD sound after Ultimate upgrade
I´ve had the same problem and in my case it was the driver of the soundcard
Vista installs its own driver which basically works fine, but by default the
channel(s) for CD audio and DvD sound are set to disabled or mute
I´ve been searching in the sound settings of the Vista driver, but couldn´t
find anything, no sound from CD/DvD, even though all the settings look fine
In my case I found a fitting driver for the soundcard at the Realtek
website, which overrides the Vista default driver and in there I can then
enable the missing channels

The only problem you will have is to figure out manaufacturer and chipset of
the soundchip in your machine

Hope that helps
Thomas

"dmacp" <dmacp@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Sony vgx-xl301 media centre pc with Vista Premium
> Installed. I took the enclosed Ultimate upgrade disk and all was sweet -
> apart from the lack of sound. No problem remove the sigmatel drivers and
> reinstall. This worked - almost
>
> I have no sound from dvds in MS media centre. Sony won't support me unless
> unimpressed as it gets about this. They suggest Microsoft will sort this.
>
> I tried the bundled intervideo windvd. Interestingly I heard the first few
> notes of the dvd intro' as the app' started then it stopped as well!!
>
> I have searched to find where the setting is to get this working, but to
> no
> avail.
>
> It outputs to HDMI. All other sound works. The appropriate mixer controls
> are there. No driver updates are available. I have redone the drivers a
> number of times as per the instructions on the sigmatel site (hard to find
> these instructions, a very poor show). Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

dmacp

Re: No DVD sound after Ultimate upgrade
Unfortunately the chipset people SigmaTel expect the board manufacturers
(Sony in this case) to supply drivers and offer no direct support.

I have reinstalled the supplied driver as the Vista one does not work.

So I am still stuck with no support from anyone.