Vista and Quad core CPU

Carl

Vista and Quad core CPU
Hello all, I recently bought an Intel quad core Q6600 95w energy efficient
CPU. I installed in a Lanparty ICFX3200TR/G motherboard, with Vista Home
Premium, and 8 Gb Corsair DDR2. This board had been running vista with an
E2140 without any problems. Since I have installed the Quad core, I
attempted a fresh install of vista, with hyperthreading enabled, now I
cannot get the OS to install. I flashed the Motherboard bios to the most
recent, and now the board rarely lets me access the bios settings. I realise
that this is probably a bad bios flash, but the quad core was working fine
in vista before I tried a fresh install. Does Vista Home Premium support
multi-core processors? A friend of mine also bought new components, the only
similarities being the OS and the CPU, his system will not install the OS
either, this is what leads me to think that the OS does not properly work
with quad core CPU? So, to sum up: straight swap of E2140 for a Q6600,
computer ran fine. Formatted all drives (2.1TB), created a raid stripe
array, OS (Home Premium) refused to install. Bios flash, now board
inoperable, unstable boot procedure. When I do manage to get to the install
screens for Vista, it gets all the way to "windows will now restart/
starting for the first time" tried with hyperthreading on and off. Any
suggestios anyone?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista and Quad core CPU
All versions of Vista support a quad core CPU. However,
the 32-bit version of Vista can only support up to 4GB RAM.
If you had the 64-bit version, you should be able to install OK.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carl" <me@theworld.universe> wrote in message news:A0C1F44D-294B-40D3-90ED-9ED3964A0EC9@microsoft.com...
[...]

It is the 64 bit version, ah well, at least I can cross that off the list
then. I have tried various combinations of DVD drives and hard drives as
well. The PSU is a 1.2KW crossfire rated monster, so it can hardly be a
power problem, I have tried installing with the bare minimum of hardware in
the PC- 1 stick of ram, one hard drive- a raptor 74GB, and I have ran the
manufacturers hard drive tools to zero fill all the drives. Question, can
the Vista DVD be copied onto a usb key, and be installed that way?

John Barnes

Re: Vista and Quad core CPU
There have been a number of installs that could not succeed with more than
3gig of ram. After the install, the remaining ram could be inserted.

> It is the 64 bit version, ah well, at least I can cross that off the list
> then. I have tried various combinations of DVD drives and hard drives as
> well. The PSU is a 1.2KW crossfire rated monster, so it can hardly be a
> power problem, I have tried installing with the bare minimum of hardware
> in the PC- 1 stick of ram, one hard drive- a raptor 74GB, and I have ran
> the manufacturers hard drive tools to zero fill all the drives. Question,
> can the Vista DVD be copied onto a usb key, and be installed that way?

Carl

Re: Vista and Quad core CPU
I will give that a go when my new motherboard arrives, the bios flash has
not helped things either, the current board is to all intents and purposes
dead. With the new board, it supports 8Gb of ram and everything else I
require, just got to wait a few days for them to reach the UK. Asus RoG
Maximus Formula board.
Seth

Re: Vista and Quad core CPU
>I will give that a go when my new motherboard arrives, the bios flash has
>not helped things either, the current board is to all intents and purposes
>dead. With the new board, it supports 8Gb of ram and everything else I
>require, just got to wait a few days for them to reach the UK. Asus RoG
>Maximus Formula board.

You don't have to actually pull the memory out of the machine. Most BIOS
support "OS Install mode" which limits the amount of memory that is
recognized.

If present, just turn that feature on. Do your installation (as well as MS
updates cause some address large RAM issues) then go back into BIOS and turn
that feature off again.

-Seth

Roedy Green

Re: Vista and Quad core CPU
>Does Vista Home Premium support
>multi-core processors?

I have a dual core Athlon. It is working on Vista Home Premium, though
I suspect some apps have trouble with it, like O&O Defrag.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
Carl

Re: Vista and Quad core CPU
I had all software running without fault until I tried a clean reinstall. I
think that my motherboard is the culprit, but, damn it's expensive finding
that out for sure!

JeffO

RE: Vista and Quad core CPU
If your old motherboard will ever allow you to boot off a floppy, USB memory,
or other source, then you could flash your BIOS again.
A bad BIOS flash is often caused by a corrupted BIOS update file, or bad
floppy disk, USB memory, etc. So it's a good idea to always check the file,
and check the disk it runs off of before flashing.
Even when things go wrong, if you can ever get it to boot again, you can
re-flash it with a freshly downloaded BIOS update.

Too bad for me I just smoked my first motherboard. It won't boot off
anything. I checked the floppy before I did the flash and found no problems.
After the flash apparently smoked the board, I ran the same test again and it
said the floppy was trashed. Sometimes you just can't win even when you do it
right. At least it was an old board - not a big loss.

JeffO

"Carl" wrote:

> Hello all, I recently bought an Intel quad core Q6600 95w energy efficient
> CPU. I installed in a Lanparty ICFX3200TR/G motherboard, with Vista Home
> Premium, and 8 Gb Corsair DDR2. This board had been running vista with an
> E2140 without any problems. Since I have installed the Quad core, I
> attempted a fresh install of vista, with hyperthreading enabled, now I
> cannot get the OS to install. I flashed the Motherboard bios to the most
> recent, and now the board rarely lets me access the bios settings. I realise
> that this is probably a bad bios flash, but the quad core was working fine
> in vista before I tried a fresh install. Does Vista Home Premium support
> multi-core processors? A friend of mine also bought new components, the only
> similarities being the OS and the CPU, his system will not install the OS
> either, this is what leads me to think that the OS does not properly work
> with quad core CPU? So, to sum up: straight swap of E2140 for a Q6600,
> computer ran fine. Formatted all drives (2.1TB), created a raid stripe
> array, OS (Home Premium) refused to install. Bios flash, now board
> inoperable, unstable boot procedure. When I do manage to get to the install
> screens for Vista, it gets all the way to "windows will now restart/
> starting for the first time" tried with hyperthreading on and off. Any
> suggestios anyone?

cw823

RE: Vista and Quad core CPU
What test are you talking about? You "smoked your first motherboard"? How?
What your describing makes absolutely no sense. If it were "smoked" how
could it "test" your floppy drive? And what does this have to do with a quad
core installation?

I have always had to install Vista Ultimate with only 2Gb of RAm, add the
additional memory later.