Vista IIS FTP - no, it's not an IE7 and FTP question!

=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXI=?=

Vista IIS FTP - no, it's not an IE7 and FTP question!
Alright, I’m at my wits end. I’m converting from XP-Pro to Vista Business.
I want to install a FTP services on Vista, just like I have on XP-Pro. I’ve
enabled IIS, and created the FTP site. I’ve chosen c:/users/public as the
root folder for the FTP site.

The problem is: the FTP client fails to fully connect to this FTP site.

When I use Windows Explorer as the FTP client; I receive a ‘Windows cannot
access the folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you
have permission to access the folder’. I believe the client actually
establishes a connection with the FTP server because if I change the password
I get a different message.

When I use FileZilla; I can watch the individual FTP commands being send and
received. It appears to logon correctly but when FileZilla asks for the
directory, there is no response from the server.

So, I’m guessing the sharing or permission for c:/users/public is somehow
not correct. However, the c:\User\Public\ folder is shared and has full
access for everyone.

In my desperation I’ve given full permission to everything remotely connect
for the FTP services or the public folder… but no improvement.

if also tried the default c:\inetpub\ftproot folder.

Here’s an odd observation. From the new Vista computer, using Windows
Explorer to access the old FTP server on the XP-Pro system, 1) I get a
similar error about ‘permission to access the folder’, BUT 2) I can FTP my
website server (a UNIX box) without any error.

Anyone with a clue?

Saucy

Re: Vista IIS FTP - no, it's not an IE7 and FTP question!
"Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alright, I’m at my wits end. I’m converting from XP-Pro to Vista
> Business.
> I want to install a FTP services on Vista, just like I have on XP-Pro. I’ve
> enabled IIS, and created the FTP site. I’ve chosen c:/users/public as the
> root folder for the FTP site.
>
> The problem is: the FTP client fails to fully connect to this FTP site.
>
> When I use Windows Explorer as the FTP client; I receive a ‘Windows cannot
> access the folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that
> you
> have permission to access the folder’. I believe the client actually
> establishes a connection with the FTP server because if I change the
> password
> I get a different message.
>
> When I use FileZilla; I can watch the individual FTP commands being send
> and
> received. It appears to logon correctly but when FileZilla asks for the
> directory, there is no response from the server.
>
> So, I’m guessing the sharing or permission for c:/users/public is somehow
> not correct. However, the c:\User\Public\ folder is shared and has full
> access for everyone.
>
> In my desperation I’ve given full permission to everything remotely
> connect
> for the FTP services or the public folder… but no improvement.
>
> if also tried the default c:\inetpub\ftproot folder.
>
> Here’s an odd observation. From the new Vista computer, using Windows
> Explorer to access the old FTP server on the XP-Pro system, 1) I get a
> similar error about ‘permission to access the folder’, BUT 2) I can FTP
> my
> website server (a UNIX box) without any error.
>
> Anyone with a clue?

How is "Password Protected" networking set? ON? OFF? IANAE, but I *think*
the default is to require passwords for all connections by default i.e. must
have an account on Vista machine to access it externally. Until you turn
this off, nothing can reach your machine. 'Worth a try, anyway.

--
Saucy