Windows Vista install problem through XP

=?Utf-8?B?TW9zY28=?=

Windows Vista install problem through XP
I have 2 hard drives and 3 partitions and want to install vista on one and
keep XP on my other two. When I install vista via XP it gets through it ok
but then it bums out after its done Expanding files, and gives this error:

Windows installer can not reset window's. please reinstall

Thats not the exact phrasing but pretty close.

Is this a problem with XP, BIOS, or Installer ?

Thanks for your time.
Rich

Re: Windows Vista install problem through XP
Mosco wrote:
> I have 2 hard drives and 3 partitions and want to install vista on
> one and keep XP on my other two. When I install vista via XP it gets
> through it ok but then it bums out after its done Expanding files,
> and gives this error:
>
> Windows installer can not reset window's. please reinstall
>
> Thats not the exact phrasing but pretty close.
>
> Is this a problem with XP, BIOS, or Installer ?
>

> Thanks for your time.

While in XP copy the Vista files from the DVD to the drive you want to
install Vista to a dir name of your choosing. Boot using the Vista disk and
get to a command prompt and get to the drive and directory that you copied
the files to and go to the sources directory and choose setup from that
dirertory that won't try to copy expand files (where my install failed) and
then follow the prompts to install and choose the correct drive to install
to. The only caviot that I have seen is that even though you have installed
it to what was your D: drive when it was XP it is now C: and your xp install
will be on D: (your old c. These letters will change but Vista does see
it self installed on C:. Previous dual booting didn't do this. So beware and
becareful with Drive letters!

Rich

=?Utf-8?B?TW9zY28=?=

Re: Windows Vista install problem through XP
Thanks ill give that a try,

Heres the exact error,

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of
installation.
To install windows please restart the installer.

----------

Another weird error i get is when i goto install vista through
reboot >Choose DVD>

It sends me straight to the Choose OS menu ?

I used to have XP and MediaCenter on Dual boot but when XP Mediacentre went
bye bye the choose os is still there , but now in order to get the boot from
CD/DVD option to work i have to unplug my XP HDD.
Rock

Re: Windows Vista install problem through XP
"Mosco" <Mosco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I have 2 hard drives and 3 partitions and want to install vista on one and
> keep XP on my other two. When I install vista via XP it gets through it ok
> but then it bums out after its done Expanding files, and gives this error:
>
> Windows installer can not reset window's. please reinstall
>
> Thats not the exact phrasing but pretty close.
>
> Is this a problem with XP, BIOS, or Installer ?

What version of Vista are you using? Also you need to specify what the
computer is, the motherboard, chipset, amount and type of RAM, # of drives,
SATA or ATA, how they are partitioned, where XP is installed, where you're
trying to install Vista, how you are trying to do this, and the the video
card and driver

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?TGlib3IgVC4=?=

Re: Windows Vista install problem through XP
Hi Mosco,
I have got same problem like you. Are you solve this problem or not?

Thanks