vista upgrade back to xp

=?Utf-8?B?amVmZg==?=

vista upgrade back to xp
first i have read most of what you all have posted here but i dont think i am
getting it right so pls reply in i very simple newbie way.
Ok i installed Vista home upgrade from xp home on 1 partion got most of
it working then deleted old windows
what i want to do is this refortmat hd and reinstall xp on one partion and
vista on another but cant figure how to wipe hd clean cant use partion magic
get error that i need NT sp6a have no idea what that is about.Tryed to format
from command prompt also will not let me do it that way.Tryed going to boot
meun and booting from xp or vista does not work goes right to vista os.now i
have read here to use the free program to get rid of the bootloader and to do
from that way but not sure how to use it that way,if i get rid of
bootloader.Do i then reboot changing to boot from cd first then use xp disk
to reformat ,will that work or reboot reinstall xp and then use partion magic
to make two partions .then re install Vista.The bigest reson for doing any
of this is that vista just doesnt runmost of the programs i use the most.
thx for any help
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
Boot with the XP CD and follow the onscreen instructions.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> first i have read most of what you all have posted here but i dont think i
> am
> getting it right so pls reply in i very simple newbie way.
> Ok i installed Vista home upgrade from xp home on 1 partion got most of
> it working then deleted old windows
> what i want to do is this refortmat hd and reinstall xp on one partion and
> vista on another but cant figure how to wipe hd clean cant use partion
> magic
> get error that i need NT sp6a have no idea what that is about.Tryed to
> format
> from command prompt also will not let me do it that way.Tryed going to
> boot
> meun and booting from xp or vista does not work goes right to vista os.now
> have read here to use the free program to get rid of the bootloader and to
> do
> from that way but not sure how to use it that way,if i get rid of
> bootloader.Do i then reboot changing to boot from cd first then use xp
> disk
> to reformat ,will that work or reboot reinstall xp and then use partion
> magic
> to make two partions .then re install Vista.The bigest reson for doing any
> of this is that vista just doesnt runmost of the programs i use the most.
> thx for any help

Robert Firth

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
You want to dual boot XP and Vista? Don't forget to back up your data. Ok:

Boot from the XP disk. If you can't do so, as it sounds like you can't, you
will need to go into the bios settings and change the boot priority list to
tell it to boot from dvd drive first.

Once you have that sorted out, boot from the XP disk. Start setup, have it
format the hard drive (this will erase EVERYTHING from the hard drive) and
have it partition your hard drive. I don't know how big your hard drive is,
but you will want to leave more than 20 gb of space for Vista if you want
room for many programs. Vista itself take up 7gb. Also, leave plenty of room
for XP. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the XP install.

Once XP is installed, you will need to install Vista on the other partition.
You have a couple choices. You say you purchased the Home Basic upgrade
version? Technically that is an upgrade version, but you can boot from the
Vista install disk, click next instead of entering a product key, selecting
Home Basic from the list of versions, and telling it to install to the other
empty partition you created in the XP install. Once Vista is installed, run
the upgrade from inside Vista and that time do enter your product key. Yes,
this is a second install on top of a perfectly good install of Vista. We are
only doing this to get a clean install of Vista because you purchased an
upgrade copy.

Another posibility to consider that I have not yet investigated is the
possibility of starting the Vista install from XP, but selecting a custom
install instead of an upgrade and telling it to install to the other blank
partition you have created. I haven't heard if that works or not yet and I
don't have access to an upgrade disk top test with.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> first i have read most of what you all have posted here but i dont think i
> am
> getting it right so pls reply in i very simple newbie way.
> Ok i installed Vista home upgrade from xp home on 1 partion got most of
> it working then deleted old windows
> what i want to do is this refortmat hd and reinstall xp on one partion and
> vista on another but cant figure how to wipe hd clean cant use partion
> magic
> get error that i need NT sp6a have no idea what that is about.Tryed to
> format
> from command prompt also will not let me do it that way.Tryed going to
> boot
> meun and booting from xp or vista does not work goes right to vista os.now
> have read here to use the free program to get rid of the bootloader and to
> do
> from that way but not sure how to use it that way,if i get rid of
> bootloader.Do i then reboot changing to boot from cd first then use xp
> disk
> to reformat ,will that work or reboot reinstall xp and then use partion
> magic
> to make two partions .then re install Vista.The bigest reson for doing any
> of this is that vista just doesnt runmost of the programs i use the most.
> thx for any help

=?Utf-8?B?amVmZg==?=

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
Sorry i think you both are missing the point
i know how to setup bios to boot from cd first but it wont do that
it gos to first boot then comes up press any key to boot from disc
but then does not boot goes right to the vista os
somrthing in vista is preventing it from booting

"Robert Firth" wrote:

> [...]
> > magic
> > get error that i need NT sp6a have no idea what that is about.Tryed to
> > format
> > from command prompt also will not let me do it that way.Tryed going to
> > boot
> > meun and booting from xp or vista does not work goes right to vista os.now
> > have read here to use the free program to get rid of the bootloader and to
> > do
> > from that way but not sure how to use it that way,if i get rid of
> > bootloader.Do i then reboot changing to boot from cd first then use xp
> > disk
> > to reformat ,will that work or reboot reinstall xp and then use partion
> > magic
> > to make two partions .then re install Vista.The bigest reson for doing any
> > of this is that vista just doesnt runmost of the programs i use the most.

Robert Firth

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
Well, no. Vista isn't running at that time so it is almost impossible that
that could be the case. It sounds like your install disk may be damaged or
scratched.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

> [...]
>> > format
>> > from command prompt also will not let me do it that way.Tryed going to
>> > boot
>> > meun and booting from xp or vista does not work goes right to vista
>> > os.now
>> > have read here to use the free program to get rid of the bootloader and
>> > do
>> > from that way but not sure how to use it that way,if i get rid of
>> > bootloader.Do i then reboot changing to boot from cd first then use xp
>> > disk
>> > to reformat ,will that work or reboot reinstall xp and then use partion
>> > magic
>> > to make two partions .then re install Vista.The bigest reson for doing
>> > any
>> > of this is that vista just doesnt runmost of the programs i use the

=?Utf-8?B?amVmZg==?=

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
well yes vista changes the mbr or something b/c disk is fine checked on diff
machine;

"Robert Firth" wrote:

> [...]
> >> other
> >> empty partition you created in the XP install. Once Vista is installed,
> >> run
> >> the upgrade from inside Vista and that time do enter your product key.
> >> Yes,
> >> this is a second install on top of a perfectly good install of Vista. We
> >> are
> >> only doing this to get a clean install of Vista because you purchased an
> >> upgrade copy.
> >>
> >> Another posibility to consider that I have not yet investigated is the
> >> possibility of starting the Vista install from XP, but selecting a custom
> >> install instead of an upgrade and telling it to install to the other
> >> blank
> >> partition you have created. I haven't heard if that works or not yet and
> >> don't have access to an upgrade disk top test with.

AJR

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
Jeff - May be a stupid question - but it is a DVD .
capable drive?

> well yes vista changes the mbr or something b/c disk is fine checked on
> diff
> machine;
>
> "Robert Firth" wrote:
>
>> Well, no. Vista isn't running at that time so it is almost impossible
>> that
>> that could be the case. It sounds like your install disk may be damaged
>> or
>> scratched.
>>
>> --
>> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> * Robert Firth *
>> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
>> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>>
>> "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry i think you both are missing the point
>> > i know how to setup bios to boot from cd first but it wont do that
>> > it gos to first boot then comes up press any key to boot from disc
>> > but then does not boot goes right to the vista os
>> > somrthing in vista is preventing it from booting

=?Utf-8?B?amVmZg==?=

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
Ok i have figured it out ,i change the bios to boot cd ,keyboard is fine ,it
checks to see if it is a bootable disk says ok then says to press any key to
boot from disk but keyboard is not on now so it times out and starts system
regularly .So (lol) now next problem why would keyboard shut down is it b/c
it is on USB?

"AJR" wrote:

> Jeff - May be a stupid question - but it is a DVD .
> capable drive?
>
> "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > well yes vista changes the mbr or something b/c disk is fine checked on
> > diff
> > machine;
> >
> > "Robert Firth" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, no. Vista isn't running at that time so it is almost impossible
> >> that
> >> that could be the case. It sounds like your install disk may be damaged
> >> or
> >> scratched.
> >>
> >> --
> >> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> >> * Robert Firth *
> >> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
> >> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

Rock

Re: vista upgrade back to xp
"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> first i have read most of what you all have posted here but i dont think i
> am
> getting it right so pls reply in i very simple newbie way.
> Ok i installed Vista home upgrade from xp home on 1 partion got most of
> it working then deleted old windows
> what i want to do is this refortmat hd and reinstall xp on one partion and
> vista on another but cant figure how to wipe hd clean cant use partion
> magic
> get error that i need NT sp6a have no idea what that is about.Tryed to
> format
> from command prompt also will not let me do it that way.Tryed going to
> boot
> meun and booting from xp or vista does not work goes right to vista os.now
> have read here to use the free program to get rid of the bootloader and to
> do
> from that way but not sure how to use it that way,if i get rid of
> bootloader.Do i then reboot changing to boot from cd first then use xp
> disk
> to reformat ,will that work or reboot reinstall xp and then use partion
> magic
> to make two partions .then re install Vista.The bigest reson for doing any
> of this is that vista just doesnt runmost of the programs i use the most.
> thx for any help

In this scenario, the Vista license says you cannot have the qualifying OS
installed at the same time as Vista. It's one or the other. If you want to
dual boot XP and Vista, you will need to get a full retail copy of Vista.
You cannot by the license dual boot the qualifying OS and the upgrade
version of Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]