Dual Boot - basic question

Alex

Dual Boot - basic question
Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista, and
I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under Vista,
would I need to install the program onto the computer a second time, and
what are the licencing implications?

Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Frankster

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Right, you'd have to install it again. As for licensing... AFAIK, you can
have as many copies installed on one computer as you like. Whether it is
licensed by users or by computers or by device, the end result is that it is
installed on one computer for use by one user, right?

-Frank

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> time, and what are the licencing implications?
>
> Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Rock

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote

> Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> time, and what are the licencing implications?
>
> Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

If you want to know what the licensing implications / restrictions are, read
the license agreement for that Office version.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chad Harris

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Alex--

Whichever version of Office (you did not reveal) you need to install it on
XP and then you need to install it on your Vista boot. You are okay under
the terms of the EULA/license to do this. You cannot shortcut to XP say,
and run Office that you installed on XP from your Vista boot--at least not
very well. Go on and install Office on the Vista boot if you have installed
it on the XP boot.

In general you can install Office on one pc and one lap top. If you have a
dual boot on either machine you can install it to each boot.

This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's
laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install
the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just some
any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop PC
and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop
PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the right
to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops.

I don't believe, but you can check that the EULA addresses dual boot but
Office sure will install on a dual boot or a multiboot for each OS and I
don't believe MSFT has a problem with that.

Where can I read the EULA?
The EULA is in the online help files for all Office applications. Open up
one of the programs, such as Excel, and look in the Contents tab for "End
User License Agreement".

Good luck,

CH

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> time, and what are the licencing implications?
>
> Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Chad Harris

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Alex--

In addition to your Office providing the EULA, you can read most EULAs from
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

CH

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> time, and what are the licencing implications?
>
> Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Alex

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Thanks All - all my questions answered. Am off to install it into the
Vista parition

Alex

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> time, and what are the licencing implications?
>
> Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

GTS

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
I'm also about to add Vista for dual boot to my XP machine. In the past,
with other dual boot configs, I've installed programs under the new OS to
the existing OS1 directory. e.g. install office under vista to same dir as
XP office. Does this pose any problem with Vista?
--

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> time, and what are the licencing implications?
>
> Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Tom

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Chad,

When you install Office 2007 on the new Vista partition, will it find
files/documents already present in the XP partiton? In other words, will I
be able to use documents I already have created in the Xp environment?

\Tom

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Alex--
>
> Whichever version of Office (you did not reveal) you need to install it on
> XP and then you need to install it on your Vista boot. You are okay under
> the terms of the EULA/license to do this. You cannot shortcut to XP say,
> and run Office that you installed on XP from your Vista boot--at least not
> very well. Go on and install Office on the Vista boot if you have installed
> it on the XP boot.
>
> In general you can install Office on one pc and one lap top. If you have a
> dual boot on either machine you can install it to each boot.
>
> This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's
> laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install
> the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just some
> any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop PC
> and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop
> PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the right
> to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops.
>
> I don't believe, but you can check that the EULA addresses dual boot but
> Office sure will install on a dual boot or a multiboot for each OS and I
> don't believe MSFT has a problem with that.
>
> Where can I read the EULA?
> The EULA is in the online help files for all Office applications. Open up
> one of the programs, such as Excel, and look in the Contents tab for "End
> User License Agreement".
>

> Good luck,
>

> CH
>

> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and Vista,
> > and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
> > Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
> > time, and what are the licencing implications?
> >
> > Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Rick Rogers

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Hi,

(Not Chad, but) Yes, but you may need to take ownership of them or the
folders they are housed in before you get access to them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Chad,
>
> When you install Office 2007 on the new Vista partition, will it find
> files/documents already present in the XP partiton? In other words, will
> be able to use documents I already have created in the Xp environment?
>
> \Tom
>
> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Alex--
>>
>> Whichever version of Office (you did not reveal) you need to install it
>> on
>> XP and then you need to install it on your Vista boot. You are okay
>> under
>> the terms of the EULA/license to do this. You cannot shortcut to XP say,
>> and run Office that you installed on XP from your Vista boot--at least
>> not
>> very well. Go on and install Office on the Vista boot if you have
>> installed
>> it on the XP boot.
>>
>> In general you can install Office on one pc and one lap top. If you have
>> dual boot on either machine you can install it to each boot.
>>
>> This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's
>> laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install
>> the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just
>> some
>> any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop
>> PC
>> and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop
>> PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the
>> right
>> to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops.
>>
>> I don't believe, but you can check that the EULA addresses dual boot but
>> Office sure will install on a dual boot or a multiboot for each OS and I
>> don't believe MSFT has a problem with that.
>>
>> Where can I read the EULA?
>> The EULA is in the online help files for all Office applications. Open
>> up
>> one of the programs, such as Excel, and look in the Contents tab for "End
>> User License Agreement".
>>

>> Good luck,
>>

>> CH
>>

>> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Am I right in thinking that if i had a dual boot system eg XP and
>> > Vista,
>> > and I was running Office under XP, if I wanted to run Office also under
>> > Vista, would I need to install the program onto the computer a second
>> > time, and what are the licencing implications?
>> >
>> > Thanks, and apologies if i have missed something obvious

Tom

Re: Dual Boot - basic question
Thanks Rick. I am sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "take ownership"
or how to accomplish that. Can you help? Thanks.

Tom