Can not delete or merge a partition, help please....

=?Utf-8?B?YnVjZmFu?=

Can not delete or merge a partition, help please....
I did an Upgrade Install of Vista and having a problem deleting/merging a
partition that was left over. It is only about 6 GB and was used to hold back
up/install files for XP (my system never came with an XP CD, you just used
this drive to actually do the install). Vista is not letting me merge this
with my main partition. I was able to delete the content but that is it. Is
there any way I can get this done with out having to use Partition Magic or
something that costs money?
JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Can not delete or merge a partition, help please....
Just curious, but during the Vista installation, did you have a choice to
install to a clean disk as well as an upgrade?

--
Jerry

If you want the best seat in the house,
You'll have to move the cat.

"bucfan" <bucfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I did an Upgrade Install of Vista and having a problem deleting/merging a
> partition that was left over. It is only about 6 GB and was used to hold
> back
> up/install files for XP (my system never came with an XP CD, you just used
> this drive to actually do the install). Vista is not letting me merge
> this
> with my main partition. I was able to delete the content but that is it.
> Is
> there any way I can get this done with out having to use Partition Magic
> or
> something that costs money?

=?Utf-8?B?YnVjZmFu?=

Re: Can not delete or merge a partition, help please....
Yes, and actually, I ended up doing the Clean Install because I couldnt get
the upgrade to work. Still I had that partition I need to get rid of
completely that is giving me issues.

"JerryM (ID)" wrote:

> Just curious, but during the Vista installation, did you have a choice to
> install to a clean disk as well as an upgrade?
>

> --
> Jerry
>
> If you want the best seat in the house,
> You'll have to move the cat.
>
> "bucfan" <bucfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did an Upgrade Install of Vista and having a problem deleting/merging a
> > partition that was left over. It is only about 6 GB and was used to hold
> > back
> > up/install files for XP (my system never came with an XP CD, you just used
> > this drive to actually do the install). Vista is not letting me merge
> > this
> > with my main partition. I was able to delete the content but that is it.
> > Is
> > there any way I can get this done with out having to use Partition Magic
> > or
> > something that costs money?

JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Can not delete or merge a partition, help please....
OK, I'm just guessing here,
but it looks like you didn't delete all the partitions,
just deleting the one that had the operating system on it,
before you started the install.

If so, start over again by deleting all the partitions first,
then format the full disk.

--

> Yes, and actually, I ended up doing the Clean Install because I couldnt
> get
> the upgrade to work. Still I had that partition I need to get rid of
> completely that is giving me issues.
>
> "JerryM (ID)" wrote:
>
>> Just curious, but during the Vista installation, did you have a choice to
>> install to a clean disk as well as an upgrade?
>>

>> --
>> Jerry
>>
>> If you want the best seat in the house,
>> You'll have to move the cat.
>>
>> "bucfan" <bucfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did an Upgrade Install of Vista and having a problem deleting/merging
>> > partition that was left over. It is only about 6 GB and was used to
>> > hold
>> > back
>> > up/install files for XP (my system never came with an XP CD, you just
>> > used
>> > this drive to actually do the install). Vista is not letting me merge
>> > this
>> > with my main partition. I was able to delete the content but that is
>> > it.
>> > Is
>> > there any way I can get this done with out having to use Partition
>> > Magic
>> > or
>> > something that costs money?

=?Utf-8?B?YnVjZmFu?=

Re: Can not delete or merge a partition, help please....
Ok Maybe I didnt. But I do not want to uninstall Vista and reinstall. I have
5 GB partition that has nothing on it. And it wont give me an option to get
rid of it or merge it with the C: Drive, even though it is on the same Disk
0. Its not that big a deal but that is 5 GB I could use for music or what
not. If I could post a picture in here of what I am talking about I would.
But any help would be appreciated.