RE: Installation - Expanding files 21%

=?Utf-8?B?Q29zbWljcmF5?=

RE: Installation - Expanding files 21%
Hey John,

I'm having - more or less - the same problem here.
Expanding goes on to around 21%, then my PC tells me it has to reboot. Well
- fine with me!
But trying to reboot the only message I get is "Disk read error".
In other words: The old (XP-) bootsector seems to have vanished and the new
one (Vista Ultimate) is not yet properly installed.
It makes no difference at all if I do an upgrade or a clean install.
The only probable cause I came up with was a memory problem. But any memtest
I run delivers no problems at all.
Not to mention that the Vista upgrade advisor gave the green light as well.

I could get my XP back running by using the repair-function. Boot sector
re-installed and XP was running again.

However I would like to get my shiny new Vista Ultimate running. But nobody
really can tell me what the problem might be.

Maybe one question for all those who did succeed in installing Vista:
Is it normal that the PC reboots at around 21% or should it wait until all
files are expanded??

Mike

"John Olinger" wrote:

> Frustrating, disappointing, slow, and plain bad are a few words I'd use to
> descibe MY experience with Vista thus far.
>
> My recent foray after testing Vista with Virtual PC was to upgrade my home
> system.
>
> I proceeded cautiously. As a Microsoft Certified Professional and Microsoft
> Small Business Spe******t, I know that is a must. Who really knows what is
> going to happen? Microsoft certainly doesn't.
>
> Anyway, I ran the Vista Advisor to be sure that my system was upgradable.
> All checks came back OK with a couple of warnings stating that I should visit
> WindowsUpdate after the upgrade. As stated by the Windows Vista Upgrade
> Advisor, "Your computer can run Windows Vista". So I started the upgrade.
>
> At Expanding Files 21% after a reboot, the system simply frooze. No error
> message. I had to hard reset the PC.
>
> So now I've scoured the internet and newsgroups, and I've found no solution.
> Surely, there is a solution other than wiping the PC clean. But who knows?
>
> --
> John Olinger
> DELTYME

totallygreen

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
> Maybe one question for all those who did succeed in installing Vista:
> Is it normal that the PC reboots at around 21% or should it wait until all
> files are expanded??
>
> Mike

I am wondering the same thing. TG

Adam Albright

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
On 18 Feb 2007 09:10:58 -0800, "totallygreen" <joelee100@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Maybe one question for all those who did succeed in installing Vista:
>> Is it normal that the PC reboots at around 21% or should it wait until all
>> files are expanded??
>>
>> Mike

>I am wondering the same thing. TG

Yep, its suppose to. This is the 1st attempt to boot some drivers.

totallygreen

On Feb 18, 12:22 pm, Adam Albright <A...@ABC.net> wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2007 09:10:58 -0800, "totallygreen" <joelee...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Maybe one question for all those who did succeed in installing Vista:
> >> Is it normal that the PC reboots at around 21% or should it wait until all
> >> files are expanded??

> >> Mike

> >I am wondering the same thing. TG

> Yep, its suppose to. This is the 1st attempt to boot some drivers.

Thanks for the info, after this first reboot, my install seems to hang
at the bluish colored vista screen. Maybe I'm being impatient and not
waiting long enough, But I did wait at least an hour.

I would then get frustrated and hold the power button in. I'll try
again tonight before I go to bed and let it run overnight on a system
that has a fresh install of Windows Xp. Plus I'll remove all the
extra stuff like my TV tuner, second hard drive, second optical drive
and of course all the USB stuff.

Adam Albright

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
On 18 Feb 2007 10:22:12 -0800, "totallygreen" <joelee100@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Feb 18, 12:22 pm, Adam Albright <A...@ABC.net> wrote:

>> >I am wondering the same thing. TG

>> Yep, its suppose to. This is the 1st attempt to boot some drivers.

>Thanks for the info, after this first reboot, my install seems to hang
>at the bluish colored vista screen. Maybe I'm being impatient and not
>waiting long enough, But I did wait at least an hour.
>
>I would then get frustrated and hold the power button in. I'll try
>again tonight before I go to bed and let it run overnight on a system
>that has a fresh install of Windows Xp. Plus I'll remove all the
>extra stuff like my TV tuner, second hard drive, second optical drive
>and of course all the USB stuff.

You shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes, tops. If you
system doesn't do anything for a hour, then something is wrong,
probably a driver issue. Usually Windows will pop up a blue screen of
death message with a bunch of gibberish in hexademical code. It can't
always do that, depending on what happened.

You normally see something like below:

http://www.rollanet.org/~benm/graphics/bsod.jpg

Sometimes, but not always Windows lists one or more drivers, other
times it just gives a stop code like 00000007B, which frequently means
it stumbled on a driver. This tends to be more annoying than a fatal
flaw. However you do need to fix what caused it. Typically by
disabling the problem device in BIOS or unplugged its data cable and
power supply Windows should get past the hang.

If you have lots of USB stuff, that may be it if they've got their own
old XP drivers. Windows supplies a new generic one that supports a lot
of USB devices. However the rub is you usually got to get Vista up and
running first, then it should by itself do the "found new hardware"
dance and install drivers for it. You can help Windows by not
overwhelming it having it find all kinds of new stuff at once. This
can and does lead to hangs. Best to yank all your unneeded stuff, then
once Vista is up, put them back one at a time. I know, a royal pain in
the butt if you got lots of stuff.

totallygreen

On Feb 18, 1:54 pm, Adam Albright <A...@ABC.net> wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2007 10:22:12 -0800, "totallygreen" <joelee...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Feb 18, 12:22 pm, Adam Albright <A...@ABC.net> wrote:

> >> Yep, its suppose to. This is the 1st attempt to boot some drivers.

> >Thanks for the info, after this first reboot, my install seems to hang
> >at the bluish colored vista screen. Maybe I'm being impatient and not
> >waiting long enough, But I did wait at least an hour.

> >I would then get frustrated and hold the power button in. I'll try
> >again tonight before I go to bed and let it run overnight on a system
> >that has a fresh install of Windows Xp. Plus I'll remove all the
> >extra stuff like my TV tuner, second hard drive, second optical drive
> >and of course all the USB stuff.

> You shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes, tops. If you
> system doesn't do anything for a hour, then something is wrong,
> probably a driver issue. Usually Windows will pop up a blue screen of
> death message with a bunch of gibberish in hexademical code. It can't
> always do that, depending on what happened.
>
> You normally see something like below:
>
> http://www.rollanet.org/~benm/graphics/bsod.jpg
>
> Sometimes, but not always Windows lists one or more drivers, other
> times it just gives a stop code like 00000007B, which frequently means
> it stumbled on a driver. This tends to be more annoying than a fatal
> flaw. However you do need to fix what caused it. Typically by
> disabling the problem device in BIOS or unplugged its data cable and
> power supply Windows should get past the hang.
>
> If you have lots of USB stuff, that may be it if they've got their own
> old XP drivers. Windows supplies a new generic one that supports a lot
> of USB devices. However the rub is you usually got to get Vista up and
> running first, then it should by itself do the "found new hardware"
> dance and install drivers for it. You can help Windows by not
> overwhelming it having it find all kinds of new stuff at once. This
> can and does lead to hangs. Best to yank all your unneeded stuff, then
> once Vista is up, put them back one at a time. I know, a royal pain in
> the butt if you got lots of stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Adam. I'm going to try again tonight and will report back.

=?Utf-8?B?bmV6b3M=?=

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
Well this Windows Vista should be called Windows codename: Blue Screen
instead. It is so awful starting from the installation, i had the same
problem. Guess how i overcome it. I just run 5 times the installation and it
upgraded. During the 4th time i opened the tray of the DVD after it reboot at
expanding 21% and closed it again later (but before it starts reading it),
but it stuck later. Again with the same trick the fifth time it worked!

All these things with the drivers reminds me of linux...

Nezos
totallygreen

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
Well I did finally get Vista installed after I removed my AGP graphics
card, second hard drive, second optical drive, tv tuner and all the
USB stuff.

After Vista was installed, I reinstalled all the hardware and I must
say that everything seems to be working fine. Thanks TG

=?Utf-8?B?Q29zbWljcmF5?=

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
Congrats totallygreen,

you guys seem to be lucky, because at least your Vista does boot and
produces some sort of error message. So it's quite obvious that a driver
issue is the probable cause.

In my case it does not boot at all ("Disk read error"), so I guess it fails
to produce a decent boot sector before trying to reboot.

I really don't think I'm having some driver issue here.

Anyone has an idea??

Mike
totallygreen

Re: Installation - Expanding files 21%
Cosmicray, Some things I noticed as I was installing Vista. My
computer didn't reboot until expanding files reached the 28 percent
mark.

It seems like maybe your computer is rebooting prematurely? Maybe a
memory issue? In the back of my mind I was also thinking that I might
have had memory issues.

Being the impatient type, I just removed one of the memory sticks
along with the other hardware for the install. If you have multiple
memory sticks, maybe try installing Vista with only one stick at a
time? I had seen some posts where that had helped people get the OS
installed. Good Luck. TG