How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:

=?Utf-8?B?S2VsbHk=?=

How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:
I'm looking for a way to change how Vista Business boots up.
New Installation of Windows Business on newly formatted drive.

I have two SCSI Drives
When I installed Vista the SCSI IDs were:
- Fujitsu drive = 15, which is C:\... Disk Manager shows this as Disk 1
- Maxtor driver = 14, which is D:\... Disk Manager shows this as Disk 0
\windows and EVERYTHING except the \boot folder is on the Fujitsu drive....

The Vista installation was done to the Fujitsu drive, the Maxtor drive being
data, backups, no programs whatever. Kicker is, the \boot folder wound up on
the Maxtor drive and Boot Manager shows Partition=D: ... in retrospect, I
seem to remember SCSI puts the boot sector on the device with the lowest SCSI
ID... wish I'd remembered that before all the installation and loading TONS
of software on this drive...

I want
- to change the SCSI IDs from to
- - Fujitsu from 15 to 0, keeping the drive C:\
- - Maxtor from 14 to 1, keeping the drive D:\
- - Move/change the \boot folder from the Maxtor to Fujitsu
- - Change the Boot Manager so that Partition=C:
- - Be able to remove or format the Maxtor drive and still boot up to Vista

It appears bcdedit might do this for me, but the documentation, and all the
notes on the web deal with dual boot... and I'm not smart enough to figure
this one out how to adatp those notes to this problem on my own.

I'm guessing I may get only one shot at this... that I'll have to make
changes using bcdedit (tried EZ, then power down and change the SCSI ID
jumper... and if the machine doesn't come up, I'm in trouble.. maybe I'm
just being careful (or paranoid)...

I'm hoping someone can give me fool proof, step by step directions to do
this...
The number of bcdedit options is amazing when you start digging... but not
intiutive.
And I've not found documentation which seems to address my problem.

C:\>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=D: <-- this i want to change to C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e14c725f-a452-11db-894d-a07a379c24b8}
nx OptIn
Dale M. White

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:
There is a program called VistabootPro, I think it will address what you
want and it's free
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> C:\>bcdedit
>
> Windows Boot Manager
> --------------------
> identifier {bootmgr}
> device partition=D: <-- this i want to change to C:
> description Windows Boot Manager
> locale en-US
> inherit {globalsettings}
> default {current}
> displayorder {current}
> toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
> timeout 30
>
> Windows Boot Loader
> -------------------
> identifier {current}
> device partition=C:
> path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
> description Microsoft Windows Vista
> locale en-US
> inherit {bootloadersettings}
> osdevice partition=C:
> systemroot \Windows
> resumeobject {e14c725f-a452-11db-894d-a07a379c24b8}

=?Utf-8?B?S2VsbHk=?=

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:
Dale,
Thanks... I looked at both VistabootPro and EasyBCD.. neither would do the
trick.
I did however find the solution.

- Changed the SCSI IDs for the two drives
- Fujitsu from 15 to 0
- Maxtor from 14 to 1
- Disconnected the Maxtor (drive D drive
- Boot up shows "No Bootmgr"
- Booted from the original installation CD and selected Repair An
Installaiton from the 2nd screen which comes up.
- First time around, the repair process does not show a \windows
installation, but does indicate something required for boot up is missing and
offers to fix it. (I suspect this was the SCSI driver)
- Reboot, and the 2nd time I selected the repair option, a \windows system
does show up.
- The repair created a new \boot folder, added the bootmgr file and bcd.log
- PC now boots to a fully functionaly, nothing missing Windows Vista
installation.
- Plugged the Maxtor (D drive back in, copied the data to a different
different, used Disk Manager to delete and rebuild the partition and
re-format the drive, copied the data back, and voila

C:\>bcdedit now shows the following...

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
default {current}
displayorder {current}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Business (recovered)
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {113fa273-c0c7-11db-97e1-806e6f6e6963}

"Dale M. White" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > C:\>bcdedit
> >
> > Windows Boot Manager
> > --------------------
> > identifier {bootmgr}
> > device partition=D: <-- this i want to change to C:
> > description Windows Boot Manager
> > locale en-US
> > inherit {globalsettings}
> > default {current}
> > displayorder {current}
> > toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
> > timeout 30
> >
> > Windows Boot Loader
> > -------------------
> > identifier {current}
> > device partition=C:
> > path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
> > description Microsoft Windows Vista
> > locale en-US
> > inherit {bootloadersettings}
> > osdevice partition=C:
> > systemroot \Windows
> > resumeobject {e14c725f-a452-11db-894d-a07a379c24b8}

Graywind

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:

Well just a little while ago I got off the phone with Microsoft tech
support in hopes that they might have something to say about all this.
I have the same issue but both partitions reside on the same drive so
I can't really remove the partition out of sight without doing
something destructive, (format with reiserfs perhaps? :3) I actually
tried deleting the partition without formatting with gparted and vista
had a nice little backup of the table so it all reverted back to
"normal" haha

So in hopes of finding the "right way" to fix it, they sent it forward
to higher tech support after they couldn't find a solution to the said
problem.

There is a maximum turn around of 72 hours when they will call me back
with some suggestions. I'll keep you guys posted if I find out anything
useful.

Oh and just for kicks here is my bcdedit output.

--
Graywind
Graywind's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1795

Walter Blanchard

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:
Here's what I did, and it worked.

1. disconnect d: drive
2. boot from Vista DVD and run repair
3. reboot system to be sure Vista loads
4. reconnect d: drive
5. delete boot directory and other boot files (have to have show hidden
files enabled)

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"Graywind" <Graywind.2nk80s@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Well just a little while ago I got off the phone with Microsoft tech
> support in hopes that they might have something to say about all this.
> I have the same issue but both partitions reside on the same drive so
> I can't really remove the partition out of sight without doing
> something destructive, (format with reiserfs perhaps? :3) I actually
> tried deleting the partition without formatting with gparted and vista
> had a nice little backup of the table so it all reverted back to
> "normal" haha
>
> So in hopes of finding the "right way" to fix it, they sent it forward
> to higher tech support after they couldn't find a solution to the said
> problem.
>
> There is a maximum turn around of 72 hours when they will call me back
> with some suggestions. I'll keep you guys posted if I find out anything
> useful.
>
> Oh and just for kicks here is my bcdedit output.
>

>> PS C:\Windows\System32> bcdedit
>>
>> Windows Boot Manager
>> --------------------
>> identifier {bootmgr}
>> device partition=D:
>> description Windows Boot Manager
>> locale en-US
>> inherit {globalsettings}
>> default {current}
>> resumeobject {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
>> displayorder {current}
>> toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
>> timeout 30
>>
>> Windows Boot Loader
>> -------------------
>> identifier {current}
>> device partition=C:
>> path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
>> description Microsoft Windows Vista
>> locale en-US
>> inherit {bootloadersettings}
>> osdevice partition=C:
>> systemroot \Windows
>> resumeobject {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
>> nx OptIn
>>

> --
> Graywind
> Graywind's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1795
> View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40031

Graywind

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:

The reason I posted the solution above, (the post right after mine )
is for it to be done completely within vista without having to
disconnect any hardware. This is especially important if both
partitions reside on the same physical drive, making it rather
difficult to separate them like that and follow those steps >:3

Thanks for your help though

--
Graywind
Graywind's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1795
View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40031

=?Utf-8?B?R3JheXdpbmQ=?=

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:
Oh my, I just realized the forum I post at forwards to this newsgroup but
messed up on my update and skipped it

Anyways, here it is for the rest of you guys

I found this nice little white paper on microsoft's website talking all
about BCD, and how the store is a binary file in the registry hive format. If
you really want to read it you can grab it at

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...565f5b/BCD.doc

(just search google for "BCD.doc" real quick if you want to use its viewer)
Have fun :b

Well I started poking around on my own looking for a way to do this and I
think I have it. BTW, I tried doing this with the powershell and I got a nice
error saying

Code:

PS C:\> bcdedit /set {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795} device
partition=c:
Bad numeric constant: 9dea862c.
At line:1 char:22
+ bcdedit /set {9dea862c <<<< -5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795} device
partition=c:

Don't really know why, but if you do this just run cmd as an administrator
as it worked fine there for me

In any case, you probably have a lot of system files on that other drive. In
my case I just copied them over to c:, which would include the hidden boot
folder and other fun system files on the root directory of the D: drive.

First off we want to take a nice look at the output of:

bcdedit /enum all /v

This will show us a bunch of fun info. What we are really trying to find out
are where different pieces are located.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /enum all /v

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {f8f8326a-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
resumeobject {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
displayorder {f8f8326a-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {f8f8326a-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
nx OptIn

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Resume Application
locale en-US
inherit {1afa9c49-16ab-4a5c-901b-212802da9460}
filedevice partition=C:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
debugoptionenabled No

Windows Memory Tester
---------------------
identifier {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
device partition=D:
path \boot\memtest.exe
description Windows Memory Diagnostic
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
badmemoryaccess Yes

EMS Settings
------------
identifier {0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}
bootems Yes

Debugger Settings
-----------------
identifier {4636856e-540f-4170-a130-a84776f4c654}
debugtype Serial
debugport 1
baudrate 115200

RAM Defects
-----------
identifier {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2}

Global Settings
---------------
identifier {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
inherit {4636856e-540f-4170-a130-a84776f4c654}
{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}
{5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2}

Boot Loader Settings
--------------------
identifier {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

Resume Loader Settings
----------------------
identifier {1afa9c49-16ab-4a5c-901b-212802da9460}
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

In my case, both the Windows Memory Diagnostic and the Windows Boot Manager
were configured for D:, so I want to change those.

Now following along with BCD.doc, we know now that the Boot Manager is
always reffered to as {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795} and so on, so we
use the following commands to make things right in my case.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=c:
The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
device partition=c:
The operation completed successfully.

I also set C: as the active partition, makes me wonder if thats what caused
all this trouble during installation, as the D: drive was originally the
active partition

Now I reboot and hope for the best
and it works!

Now if I go into Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management
D: no longer shows up with the System flag and its normal. Now I happily
delete it and grow the vista install partition

"Graywind" wrote:

> Well just a little while ago I got off the phone with Microsoft tech
> support in hopes that they might have something to say about all this.
> I have the same issue but both partitions reside on the same drive so
> I can't really remove the partition out of sight without doing
> something destructive, (format with reiserfs perhaps? :3) I actually
> tried deleting the partition without formatting with gparted and vista
> had a nice little backup of the table so it all reverted back to
> "normal" haha
>
> So in hopes of finding the "right way" to fix it, they sent it forward
> to higher tech support after they couldn't find a solution to the said
> problem.
>
> There is a maximum turn around of 72 hours when they will call me back
> with some suggestions. I'll keep you guys posted if I find out anything
> useful.
>
> Oh and just for kicks here is my bcdedit output.
>

> > PS C:\Windows\System32> bcdedit
> >
> > Windows Boot Manager
> > --------------------
> > identifier {bootmgr}
> > device partition=D:
> > description Windows Boot Manager
> > locale en-US
> > inherit {globalsettings}
> > default {current}
> > resumeobject {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
> > displayorder {current}
> > toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
> > timeout 30
> >
> > Windows Boot Loader
> > -------------------
> > identifier {current}
> > device partition=C:
> > path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
> > description Microsoft Windows Vista
> > locale en-US
> > inherit {bootloadersettings}
> > osdevice partition=C:
> > systemroot \Windows
> > resumeobject {f8f8326b-d299-11db-a0f0-ac102f5b5af1}
> > nx OptIn
> >

> --
> Graywind
> Graywind's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1795
> View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40031

Cessna Pilot

Re: How Do I Change Boot Manager Partition From D: to C:

_Correcting_changes_to_the_Partition/Disk_structure__
(Run command line as administrator.)

Where a partition or a hard drive has been added or removed and has
caused the partition/disk structure to change, this can be corrected by
running these commands in the order shown:

_D:\>D:\boot\fixntfs.exe_-lh_-all__

(Where D: is the drive/partition on which the folder "boot" is to be
found)

_bcdedit_/set_{_GUID_number}_device_partition=C:_

Changes boot partition of the OS whose GUID is indicated. (Where C: is
new drive/partition required). Must be used together with the osdevice
command below

_bcdedit_/set_{GUID_number}_osdevice_partition=C:_

Changes boot partition of the OS whose GUID is indicated. (Where C: is
new drive/partition required). Must be used together with the device
command above

--
Cessna Pilot