Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM

Hapkido

Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read that
anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you are have 3
gigs or more is it recognized on your system?

I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS, is
to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

Ken Ford

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
I have 3 GB installed and I'm running Vista Business.

Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System says that I have 2815 MB of Memory (RAM)

--
Ken Ford
Fordwebs, LLC

"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message news:emXXiSkUHHA.1364@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read that
> anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you are have 3
> gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
>
> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS, is
> to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

Dale M. White

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
There is a article on this somewhere. It partly depends on your motherboard,
but the problem isn't at 3GB, but 4GB. I had 3GB installed in my system just
to tinker around and it reported all 3GB. At 4GB, it only reports 3GB, has
the last Gb is used for hardware.

You can do a search in the Vistas.general forums and should find the longer
answer there

"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read
> that anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you are
> have 3 gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
>
> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS,
> is to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

Hapkido

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
Thanks for the encouraging confirmation re: 3 gigs on Vista 32-bit. I am
aware of the 4 gig limitation but again, what I read was in regard to 3
gigs. I found the article I read and thought I would pass it along for
everyone's benefit and/or criticism.

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88544

"Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> There is a article on this somewhere. It partly depends on your
> motherboard, but the problem isn't at 3GB, but 4GB. I had 3GB installed in
> my system just to tinker around and it reported all 3GB. At 4GB, it only
> reports 3GB, has the last Gb is used for hardware.
>
> You can do a search in the Vistas.general forums and should find the
> longer answer there

Mike

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
Running Vista Ultimate with 3GB RAM and the systeam reports Memory (RAM):
3071 MB

/Mike

"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read
> that anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you are
> have 3 gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
>
> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS,
> is to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

DanR

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM

"Mike" <nomail@nospam.nu> wrote in message
> Running Vista Ultimate with 3GB RAM and the systeam reports Memory (RAM):
> 3071 MB
>
> /Mike
>
> "Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read
>> that anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you
>> are have 3 gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
>>
>> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS,
>> is to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

I have two 1GB and two 512GB DDR2 chips and Vista reports 3070 MB.
Interesting that others get slightly different amounts reported. 3071 and
2815.

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
some systems us ram for Video ( could be the difference ) my laptop has built
in video card can us up to 256 ram shared for video, my desktop has 512 on
card

"DanR" wrote:

> "Mike" <nomail@nospam.nu> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Ultimate with 3GB RAM and the systeam reports Memory (RAM):
> > 3071 MB
> >
> > /Mike
> >
> > "Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read
> >> that anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you
> >> are have 3 gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
> >>
> >> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS,
> >> is to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.
> >>

> I have two 1GB and two 512GB DDR2 chips and Vista reports 3070 MB.
> Interesting that others get slightly different amounts reported. 3071 and
> 2815.

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEIu?=

RE: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
I just built up a new computer with 4GB of SLI ready ram and Vista Ultimate
recognizes only 2.5GB. I also have two evga SLI 512mg video cards so it cant
be stealing any system ram for video.
Having SLI issues but thats another story.

"Hapkido" wrote:

> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read that
> anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you are have 3
> gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
>
> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS, is
> to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
The system as a whole will see 4gb.. Windows will have direct access to 3gb
or thereabouts (depends on boards).. I have 3gb and it is all seen by
Windows..

"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone running 3+ gigs of RAM on their Vista 32-bit PC? I have read
> that anything over 2 gigs will not be recognized by the system. IF you are
> have 3 gigs or more is it recognized on your system?
>
> I read that an alleged work-around, IF you have the option in your BIOS,
> is to disable "Memory Remapping"; something I am not familiar with.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEIu?=

Re: Vista 32-bit and 3+ gigs RAM
Yes when the system is booting up it does count out the correct 4GB of ram
but Vista only reports 2.5GB. I am using a evga nvidia nforce 680i SLI
motherboard.

I also had added a new post here if you could kindly respond to that:
Subject: SLI and Vista Ultimate