Transferring Programs and Files

=?Utf-8?B?amFnYW1hbg==?=

Transferring Programs and Files
I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows Vista.
Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did. Is
it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?
Chad Harris

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
I tell you what I would do based on my experience. I wouldn't try to
transfer Office. I've copied all my programs more than once from one drive
to another and out of hundreds about 15-20 don't make it intact. Office is
one. I tried to fix Office every way known to man, and ended up
uninstalling and reinstalling it. I mean, it doesn't take very long to
uninstall and reinstall Office. You just have to wait a bit.

However, I want you to know that a few days ago,MSFT came out with a
companion to the Windows Easy Transfer
and that's here:

It's a companion to transfer programs. I can't tell you how well it works
because I haven't read a lot of feedback on it yet it's so new. You could
try using it, but I tell you I'm skeptical about how well Office will
transfer:

Windows Easy Transfer Companion (Beta)

Brief Description

Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your
most important programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows
Vista-based PC. This way you can become productive on your new PC as soon as
possible. Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to
Windows Easy Transfer—which transfers your data and settings.

Good luck,

CH

"jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows Vista.
> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
> Is
> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

Jane C

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
Is this transferring from an old pc to a new one? If so, you will have to
install all of your programs into your new pc. Programs do not get
transferred over.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows Vista.
> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
> Is
> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

Dale M. White

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
Isn't there that easy transfer wizard thing ? I see HP is selling a belkin
cable to hook the old PC with the new one and move the data. I don't know
much about it, just read a quick burp on it and here is what the help file
says

Windows Easy Transfer is a step-by-step guide for transferring files and
settings from one computer running Windows to another. It helps you choose
what to transfer to your new computer, such as user accounts, Internet
favorites, and e‑mail contacts. It also helps you decide which method to use
and then performs the transfer.

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Is this transferring from an old pc to a new one? If so, you will have to
> install all of your programs into your new pc. Programs do not get
> transferred over.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows
>>Vista.
>> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
>> Is
>> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

Chad Harris

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
Actually the do Jane, by the WETC although I can't tell you how well:

See:

Windows Easy Transfer Companion (Beta)

Brief Description

Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your
most important programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows
Vista-based PC. This way you can become productive on your new PC as soon as
possible. Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to
Windows Easy Transfer—which transfers your data and settings.

I've also copied hundreds of programs from one drive to another with about a
95% + success rate. I don't recommend doing it with Office. I have no idea
how well the WET Companion works.

CH

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Is this transferring from an old pc to a new one? If so, you will have to
> install all of your programs into your new pc. Programs do not get
> transferred over.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows
>>Vista.
>> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
>> Is
>> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

Rock

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
"Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote
> Isn't there that easy transfer wizard thing ? I see HP is selling a belkin
> cable to hook the old PC with the new one and move the data. I don't know
> much about it, just read a quick burp on it and here is what the help file
> says
>
> Windows Easy Transfer is a step-by-step guide for transferring files and
> settings from one computer running Windows to another. It helps you choose
> what to transfer to your new computer, such as user accounts, Internet
> favorites, and e‑mail contacts. It also helps you decide which method to
> use and then performs the transfer.

> "Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote
>> Is this transferring from an old pc to a new one? If so, you will have
>> to install all of your programs into your new pc. Programs do not get
>> transferred over.

>> "jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote
>>>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows
>>>Vista.
>>> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
>>> Is
>>> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

WET only transfers data and settings, not programs. WET Companion is for
transferring programs. That is still in Beta, and there are some
significant restrictions with it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
"jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote
>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows Vista.
> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
> Is
> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

Windows Easy Transfer does not migrate programs, only data files. Install
programs from the original media.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Adam Albright

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:46:03 -0500, "Dale M. White"
<dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:

>Isn't there that easy transfer wizard thing ?

Totally useless unless you have only a handful of common everyday
programs. A couple days ago I looked at the Microsoft page that
explained it and it hardly listed any software that it supports. Maybe
in time it will support more, but now I doubt it is of much use.

I did a successful install in place and with 2 TB of programs and
files, I will admit I was surprised that Vista didn't stumple. A
couple programs didn't work up to 100%, but a quick reinstall of those
was all that was necessary.

My view, and I know it is a minority opinion is do a install in place
if you don't want to lose your settings and reinstall your software.
Only precautions would be to be sure you have backup of all your data
off site or on drives either external or disabled until Vista does
boot successfully... just in case. Also of course you need a stable
and not a problematic XP install. If your current XP install is giving
you troubles you probably have issues deep inside the Registy and they
could and likey would get carried over which obviously you don't want.

>I see HP is selling a belkin
>cable to hook the old PC with the new one and move the data.

Its Laplink all over again! LOL!

http://www.laplink.com/

I used that way back in the 70's. I'm sure its updated by now. Didn't
check. It use to use a old serial cable between the 2 computers to
move files around.

I don't know
>much about it, just read a quick burp on it and here is what the help file
>says
>
>Windows Easy Transfer is a step-by-step guide for transferring files and
>settings from one computer running Windows to another. It helps you choose
>what to transfer to your new computer, such as user accounts, Internet
>favorites, and e?mail contacts. It also helps you decide which method to use
>and then performs the transfer.
>

>"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
>> Is this transferring from an old pc to a new one? If so, you will have to
>> install all of your programs into your new pc. Programs do not get
>> transferred over.
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> "jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows
>>>Vista.
>>> Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
>>> Is
>>> it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpw?=

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
I havent yet bought a new PC, Thinking of a Dell but some one said that
window vista may not run some of my programs from my old PC that has win-XP.
Don't want to buy new software. Bye the way, I'm new to the computer thing.
Just want to have a workable PC
Don

"Rock" wrote:

> "jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote
> >I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows Vista.
> > Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
> > Is
> > it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

> Windows Easy Transfer does not migrate programs, only data files. Install
> programs from the original media.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Transferring Programs and Files
"djp" <djp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I havent yet bought a new PC, Thinking of a Dell but some one said that
> window vista may not run some of my programs from my old PC that has
> win-XP.
> Don't want to buy new software. Bye the way, I'm new to the computer
> thing.
> Just want to have a workable PC

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "jagaman" <jagabits@yahoo.com> wrote
>> >I transferred my files over from my old Win-XP Pro to my new Windows
>> >Vista.
>> > Office 2003 Pro did not transfer over; all the documents and files did.
>> > Is
>> > it impossible to transfer Microsoft Office when you upgrade?

>> Windows Easy Transfer does not migrate programs, only data files.
>> Install
>> programs from the original media.

You need to check on the software vendor web sites to see what programs you
currently have will run in Vista or have Vista patches. It is the nature of
the thing, that when going to a new OS some software is not compatible.
Much XP software will run in Vista, but some won't.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]