Let's say..... An installation problem

TerryS

Let's say..... An installation problem
Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of Home
Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP Pro.

Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home Premium.
Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium disks or
must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one opened) Home
Premium copies.

I have seen references to MS giving a different product key so that the
change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? Who would this foolish,
foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?
TerryS

AJR

Re: Let's say..... An installation problem
Why can you not upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium - pray tell!

Regarding "...I have seen references to MS giving a different product key so
that the change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? ..." - no myth check
out:

www.windowsanytimeupgrade.com

"TerryS" <terryn@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of
> Home Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP
> Pro.
>
> Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
> upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home Premium.
> Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium disks or
> must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one opened)
> Home Premium copies.

Who would this foolish,
> foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?
> TerryS

Adam Albright

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:43:40 -0500, "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote:

> Why can you not upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium - pray tell!

Because the Bozos at Microsoft won't allow it. Let's define terms. A
"upgrade" in this context means you can't install Home Premium over XP
Pro, you can do a clean install. That of course wipes out all your
installed software and settings which for many isn't a acceptable
solution. And no, the new tools included with Vista DO NOT do a good
enough job to be trusted. In fact much of the software I have isn't
supported by that method. So I had to pay $40 more to buy a version I
did't want, (business), in order to "upgrade". Yep, I'm still steamed
about it as I should be.

>Regarding "...I have seen references to MS giving a different product key so
>that the change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? ..." - no myth check
>out:
>
>www.windowsanytimeupgrade.com
>

>"TerryS" <terryn@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of
>> Home Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP
>> Pro.
>>
>> Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
>> upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home Premium.
>> Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium disks or
>> must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one opened)
>> Home Premium copies.
>>

> Who would this foolish,
>> foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?
>> TerryS

TerryS

Re: Let's say..... An installation problem
Pray indeed.

What Adam said
TerryS
"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Why can you not upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium - pray tell!
>
> Regarding "...I have seen references to MS giving a different product key
> so that the change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? ..." - no myth
> check out:
>
> www.windowsanytimeupgrade.com
>

> "TerryS" <terryn@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of
>> Home Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP
>> Pro.
>>
>> Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
>> upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home
>> Premium. Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium
>> disks or must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one
>> opened) Home Premium copies.
>>

> Who would this foolish,
>> foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?
>> TerryS

Rock

Re: Let's say..... An installation problem
"TerryS" <terryn@adelphia.net> wrote
> Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of
> Home Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP
> Pro.
>
> Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
> upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home Premium.
> Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium disks or
> must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one opened)
> Home Premium copies.
>
> I have seen references to MS giving a different product key so that the
> change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? Who would this foolish,
> foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?

All the retail DVDs are the same. All version are on it. It's the product
key that determines what is installed and whether it's an upgrade or full
version. Yes you can purchase the product key but the discount is not much
off retail price. Better to shop around to find the lowest cost from a
software retailer for the version you want.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chad Harris

Re: Let's say..... An installation problem
Terry--

The mystery here is why in the world you cannot use XP Pro as the legacy OS
from which to upgrade to Home Premium? It should work just fine. The
focus here should be for you to choose the upgrade edition of Vista you
decide has the features and price you want. If you have 2 Home Premiums in
hand and want ultmiate, and haven't opened the software, it seems like your
chances would be excellent to exchange them with receipt in hand depending
on the policy of the seller. So you should be able to return at least the
one unopened HP to exchange for Ultimate with the price difference--and
depending again on the store or place where you bought them, you might be
able to return both.

I wouldn't expect MSFT to issue you a different PK for something purchased
from another source. I've talked with them about this, and they were pretty
adamant that they are going to steer you to the place where you bought these
HPs.

CH

"TerryS" <terryn@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of
> Home Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP
> Pro.
>
> Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
> upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home Premium.
> Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium disks or
> must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one opened)
> Home Premium copies.
>
> I have seen references to MS giving a different product key so that the
> change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? Who would this foolish,
> foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?
> TerryS

Chad Harris

Re: Let's say./Correction--I see it on the chart.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

CH

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> Terry--
>
> The mystery here is why in the world you cannot use XP Pro as the legacy
> OS from which to upgrade to Home Premium? It should work just fine. The
> focus here should be for you to choose the upgrade edition of Vista you
> decide has the features and price you want. If you have 2 Home Premiums
> in hand and want ultmiate, and haven't opened the software, it seems like
> your chances would be excellent to exchange them with receipt in hand
> depending on the policy of the seller. So you should be able to return at
> least the one unopened HP to exchange for Ultimate with the price
> difference--and depending again on the store or place where you bought
> them, you might be able to return both.
>
> I wouldn't expect MSFT to issue you a different PK for something purchased
> from another source. I've talked with them about this, and they were
> pretty adamant that they are going to steer you to the place where you
> bought these HPs.
>
> CH
>

> "TerryS" <terryn@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Let's say someone (blush) was foolish enough to purchase two copies of
>> Home Premium to find that he could not install them as an upgrade over XP
>> Pro.
>>
>> Let's also say that he (foolish person that he is) would prefer to do an
>> upgrade to Vista Ultimate rather than do a custom install of Home
>> Premium. Is it possible to do the Ultimate upgrade with the Home Premium
>> disks or must I (Oops) purchase 2 Ultimate disks and return the two (one
>> opened) Home Premium copies.
>>
>> I have seen references to MS giving a different product key so that the
>> change could be made. Is that an urbane myth? Who would this foolish,
>> foolish (heh, heh) person contact to make this happen?
>> TerryS

Bob Eyster

Re: Let's say..... An installation problem
Yes, the key determines what type of install it will be. I read this on
Cnet/ZDnet.

You may need to return the Home Premium and pay the difference for the
Ultimate. It will depend on the stores return policy.

FYI, you can install Home Premium over WinXP Pro. What happens Premium will
tell you that it cannot upgrade XP Pro with this version of Vista. It will
copy your Program File, Windows, and Document and Settings directories to a
directory named Windows.old. Vista Home Premium will be a clean install.

--

Bob Eyster
MS Windows Vista Premium