Cannot install vista upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?anVzdGR1Y2t5?=

Cannot install vista upgrade
When I put in the disk for the upgrade , all I get is the read me file. Whats
wrong:

Richard Urban

Re: Cannot install vista upgrade
Where did you get the disk from. Did you read the file? It may tell you how
to proceed.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"justducky" <justducky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I put in the disk for the upgrade , all I get is the read me file.
> Whats
> wrong:

=?Utf-8?B?anVzdGR1Y2t5?=

Re: Cannot install vista upgrade
It is OEM Ultimate upgrade, purchased at Sams Club, when I start from the
disk , now it is telling me I have a missing cd/dvd driver. I have run all
the utilities , updates and checked everything , I do not have a missing
driver. This is making me crazy!!! HELP!!!

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Where did you get the disk from. Did you read the file? It may tell you how
> to proceed.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "justducky" <justducky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I put in the disk for the upgrade , all I get is the read me file.
> > Whats
> > wrong:

Richard Urban

Re: Cannot install vista upgrade
OEM disks are not for upgrade. They are meant for installing on a computer
without an operating system. You boot from the DVD to install. You will have
to delete the partition where your current system is installed, create a new
partition and then format the partition. If you are installing to a SATA
drive you may well need your SATA drivers available to continue with the
install. Without these drivers, the installer may not see your hard drives.

--

> It is OEM Ultimate upgrade, purchased at Sams Club, when I start from the
> disk , now it is telling me I have a missing cd/dvd driver. I have run all
> the utilities , updates and checked everything , I do not have a missing
> driver. This is making me crazy!!! HELP!!!
>

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Where did you get the disk from. Did you read the file? It may tell you
>> how
>> to proceed.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "justducky" <justducky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I put in the disk for the upgrade , all I get is the read me file.
>> > Whats
>> > wrong:

Michael D

Re: Cannot install vista upgrade
Does Sams Club even sell oem?

> OEM disks are not for upgrade. They are meant for installing on a computer
> without an operating system. You boot from the DVD to install. You will
> have to delete the partition where your current system is installed,
> create a new partition and then format the partition. If you are
> installing to a SATA drive you may well need your SATA drivers available
> to continue with the install. Without these drivers, the installer may not
> see your hard drives.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "justducky" <justducky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It is OEM Ultimate upgrade, purchased at Sams Club, when I start from the
>> disk , now it is telling me I have a missing cd/dvd driver. I have run
>> all
>> the utilities , updates and checked everything , I do not have a missing
>> driver. This is making me crazy!!! HELP!!!
>>

>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> Where did you get the disk from. Did you read the file? It may tell you
>>> how
>>> to proceed.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
>>>
>>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Hapkido

Re: Cannot install vista upgrade
Strange..... for I bought a copy of Vista Ultimate OEM and did an "in place"
install over my existing XP SP-2 Home after uninstalling any application
that wrote to disc or monitored the disc, e.g., KAV, PerfectDisk and True
Image Home 10. The installation went off without a hitch and this was on my
WD 250 gig SATAII drive. I also did all the expected preparatory things,
e.g., cleaning all temp files and defragging the drive. So, at least in my
experience, an upgrade can be done with a Vista Ultimate OEM disc.