VISTA INSTALL AND OUTLOOK CONNECTOR

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNlbGxuZXI=?=

VISTA INSTALL AND OUTLOOK CONNECTOR
I was not satisfied with the install process. The computer on which I
installed this version of Vista had XP Prof installed on the primary hard
drive. I installed Vista by loading it from the OS on that partition and
then installing it on a clean hard drive, for a clean install. Vista did
install on the clean hard drive, but it installed the “System” onto the
primary hard drive partition containing XP Pro.
I wanted all components of Vista on only one hard drive, so I could retire
the old hard drive. After installation I was stuck with the situation of
needing to have both hard drives in the computer in order to boot Vista. I
solved the problem by creating three partitions the new hard drive,
installing XP on the last partition and then loading Vista using the XP OS.
That worked fine, with the first partition now containing Vista, and the
boot.ini, ntldr, crash destination, etc.
That was a lot of extra work and time to accomplish something that should
have been an option in the installation menu of Vista. Also, I needed to
install Vista again anyhow, since unplugging a SATA HD caused Vista to become
corrupted and not boot, even with both HD in the computer. I thought Vista
supported plug and play with SATA drives. Even if it does not, it should
have error prevention code that would prevent the Vista OS from becoming
corrupted just by unplugging a HD. Does this mean that anything that
interrupts a read or write to a HD will corrupt Vista? That was not true on
Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000 or XP.
Another issue I have is the lack of a “Save as” command. In Word 2007 or
Excel 2007, I can only find a save command, which saves the file exactly as
is, without the opportunity to change the name in order to save it as a later
version. I always change the name of an Excel file as I create different
versions. I will probably also want to save two copies of any files I want
to share – one in the new format and one as a .doc or .wk extension. I also
need to do this to work with one of my other computers which are still
running Office 2003.
The most important problem that is still not solved is that I cannot
download Outlook Connector from the MSN member site. It apparently does not
recognize Outlook 2007 as a valid Outlook program and insists that I need to
download Outlook 2003, crippled version. In the past I have always loaded
Office first, but not initialized Outlook until I downloaded Outlook
Connector. Then, when I initialized Outlook, Outlook Connector was my only
e-mail option and my Personal Folder became Outlook Connector. This avoided
the nuisance of having to export the Outlook Connector calendar into the
Personal Folder Calendar in order to synch with my PDA.
Another major issue is that I cannot load Symantec Systems Works or Ghost
under Vista. This is a major problem, since I back up my computers every
night using incremental Ghost backup. Right now, I am stuck without a way of
backing up Vista if it gets corrupted or of fixing accumulated registry
errors using Win Doctor in Systemworks.

Ron Sellner

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup