Vista Imaging

Hampton

Vista Imaging
Holy hell... I am about to rip my hair out here. ...

Here is my problem adn thanks for helping in advance...

I maintain a lab full of comptuers all of which are to have installed the
same software. (which incudes 20 or 30 different applications on each
computer.) In the past i would install xp, install all the apps, make
registry modifications i needed to make . I would then run sysprep, and upon
reboot the mini setup would start, and ask what the computer name should be
and then what domain do you want to join.

this was perfect for my needs. but I am unable to figure out how to make the
aik do it .

yes i have read "getting started" which is almost verbatim to the one online

Chad Harris

Re: Vista Imaging
Hampton--

This isn't an area I use a lot but there is good Vista info on pushing out
apps and images to multiple computers like your setup on Technet and many of
the MSFT personnel blogs; see:

ImageX and WIM Image Format
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905116.aspx

Vista Imaging Blog
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...rformance.aspx

ITPRODSK-02: Imaging Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ta/dsk-02.mspx

Search Results

1-10 of 741 (0.81 seconds) for wim imaging vista
http://search.microsoft.com/results....+imaging+vista

If you are planning to create and deploy OS images for Windows Vista, I
encourage you to take a look at the Windows Vista deployment step-by-step
guide at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...dd53bc3fa.mspx
for some helpful information.

Technet Vista Deployment Overview

In addition, it is worth reviewing the content of:

***If you are planning to create and deploy OS images for Windows Vista

http://blogs.msdn.com/hied_northeast...a-imaging.aspx

· The Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), which is located at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=53552.

· Ask the experts: ImageX and WIM Image Format, which is located at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...rt/imagex.mspx

· Webcast: TechNet Webcast: Building a Windows Vista Image for Your
Corporate Deployment (Level 200)
http://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/We...CountryCode=US

· Webcast: TechNet Webcast: Imaging Windows Vista (Level 200)
http://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/ev...&Culture=en-US

· Vista Imaging Ref
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...dd53bc3fa.mspx

***Aaron's Weblog Imaging Refs:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...ent-guide.aspx

If you are planning to create and deploy OS images for Windows Vista, I
encourage you to take a look at the Windows Vista deployment step-by-step
guide at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...dd53bc3fa.mspx
for some helpful information. The following sections are included in the
deployment guide:

Tools and technologies -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...spx#BKMK_TOOLS
Requirements and prerequisites -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...QS_AND_PREREQS
Step 1: building a lab environment -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...BKMK_BUILD_LAB
Step 2: building an answer file -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...K_BUILD_ANSWER
Step 3: building a master installation -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...K_BUILD_MASTER
Step 4: creating an image -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...K_CREATE_IMAGE
Step 5: deploying an image -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...K_DEPLOY_IMAGE
In addition, it is worth reviewing the content of the Windows Automated
Installation Kit (WAIK), which is located at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=53552.

Vista Imaging and WIM PP:
http://download.microsoft.com/.../uk...ing10Nov06.ppt

Getting Ready for Windows PE 2.0 /Imaging from Technet Mag:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec.../11/WindowsPE3

10 Deployment Differences between Windows Xp and windows vista Don
Roessler's Blog:
http://ts2community.com/blogs/donroe...1/27/5262.aspx

Imaging Resources from Stefan Georgescu
http://itboard.ro/CS/blogs/stefan_-_...o-resurse.aspx

Good luck,

CH

"Hampton" <h.albert@vanderbilt.edu> wrote in message
> Holy hell... I am about to rip my hair out here. ...
>
> Here is my problem adn thanks for helping in advance...
>
> I maintain a lab full of comptuers all of which are to have installed the
> same software. (which incudes 20 or 30 different applications on each
> computer.) In the past i would install xp, install all the apps, make
> registry modifications i needed to make . I would then run sysprep, and
> upon reboot the mini setup would start, and ask what the computer name
> should be and then what domain do you want to join.
>
> this was perfect for my needs. but I am unable to figure out how to make
> the aik do it .
>
> yes i have read "getting started" which is almost verbatim to the one
> online

Lang Murphy

Re: Vista Imaging
I find sysprep.exe in windows\system32\sysprep... I double click on it and
the sysprep dlg box pops up. I'm running Ultimate RTM.

Lang

"Hampton" <h.albert@vanderbilt.edu> wrote in message
> Holy hell... I am about to rip my hair out here. ...
>
> Here is my problem adn thanks for helping in advance...
>
> I maintain a lab full of comptuers all of which are to have installed the
> same software. (which incudes 20 or 30 different applications on each
> computer.) In the past i would install xp, install all the apps, make
> registry modifications i needed to make . I would then run sysprep, and
> upon reboot the mini setup would start, and ask what the computer name
> should be and then what domain do you want to join.
>
> this was perfect for my needs. but I am unable to figure out how to make
> the aik do it .
>
> yes i have read "getting started" which is almost verbatim to the one
> online

cccharlee

Re: Vista Imaging

I install Vista Ultimate on one PC. It is an HP Pavilion a1700n.

I remove the 40 GB IDE HD from the HP PC and put it into a Compaq EVO
510 PC.

Result: Vista does not boot.

I have researched the subject but still have not found a solution.

The microsoft vista deployment step by step seems awfully complex.

Has anyone found a simple way to solve this problem?

I have also tried the reverse (from compaq to HP PC): Same result!

With XP I could boot into safe mode or just boot normally and XP would
detect and install the new hardware it finds.

Somtimes I would need to install XP from CD on the target PC to copy
the boot.ini and hall.dll files to a usb flash drive. Then I would
restore the image of XP on the target PC. I would boot into recovery
console and copy the files form the flash drive to the target PC
(boot.ini to C:\ and hal.dll to C:\windows\system32). Most times I
could then boot the target PC normally or in safe mode.

However, with Vista I am stymied!

Any practical solution?

Chris

http://drpcdr.ca

--
cccharlee
cccharlee's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39111

http://forums.techarena.in

markm75

Re: Vista Imaging

"cccharlee" wrote:

> I install Vista Ultimate on one PC. It is an HP Pavilion a1700n.
>
> I remove the 40 GB IDE HD from the HP PC and put it into a Compaq EVO
> 510 PC.
>
> Result: Vista does not boot.
>
> I have researched the subject but still have not found a solution.
>
> The microsoft vista deployment step by step seems awfully complex.
>
> Has anyone found a simple way to solve this problem?
>
> I have also tried the reverse (from compaq to HP PC): Same result!
>
> With XP I could boot into safe mode or just boot normally and XP would
> detect and install the new hardware it finds.
>
> Somtimes I would need to install XP from CD on the target PC to copy
> the boot.ini and hall.dll files to a usb flash drive. Then I would
> restore the image of XP on the target PC. I would boot into recovery
> console and copy the files form the flash drive to the target PC
> (boot.ini to C:\ and hal.dll to C:\windows\system32). Most times I
> could then boot the target PC normally or in safe mode.
>
> However, with Vista I am stymied!
>
> Any practical solution?
>
> Chris

Have you tried booting to the Vista DVD in either case.. then doing the
repair option? This usually does the trick for me.. it finds "vista" on the
partition, repairs it so it will boot, anytime its been moved around or
hardware changes (this always seems to need done).

Cheers