Problems installing our software on Windows Vista

Joseph Geretz

Problems installing our software on Windows Vista
Our product is installed via an MSI which has been operating just fine under
Windows XP for the past few years. We just started testing on Windows Vista
and we are encountering an installation problem. The problem occurs when
attempting to register an ActiveX EXE during the installation. Unlike DLL's
and OCX's which are registered via RegSrv32.exe, an ActiveX EXE is
registered by runing the executable with the command parameter /RegServer.

For example: c:\folder\location\MyEXE.exe / RegServer

This is the step which is failing within the MSI.

Just for kicks, I tried this from the Windows shell. Sure enough, up pops a
security dialog box :-\. (BTW, this dialog box pops up every single time I
attempt this command. Shouldn't there be an option to mark the executable as
trusted so that I don't have to go through this once I've already indicated
that the command is safe?)

Anyway, how do I get around this for Windows Vista? Is it a matter of
signing our application code so that it will have a higher level of trust
under Windows Vista?

Thanks for your advice!

- Joseph Geretz -

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Problems installing our software on Windows Vista
Your installer needs to be running elevated. Custom actions in an installer
under Vista are tricky. See these resources for some more info:
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive...-in-Vista.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/
http://blogs.msdn.com/rflaming/

"Joseph Geretz" wrote:

> Our product is installed via an MSI which has been operating just fine under
> Windows XP for the past few years. We just started testing on Windows Vista
> and we are encountering an installation problem. The problem occurs when
> attempting to register an ActiveX EXE during the installation. Unlike DLL's
> and OCX's which are registered via RegSrv32.exe, an ActiveX EXE is
> registered by runing the executable with the command parameter /RegServer.
>
> For example: c:\folder\location\MyEXE.exe / RegServer
>
> This is the step which is failing within the MSI.
>
> Just for kicks, I tried this from the Windows shell. Sure enough, up pops a
> security dialog box :-\. (BTW, this dialog box pops up every single time I
> attempt this command. Shouldn't there be an option to mark the executable as
> trusted so that I don't have to go through this once I've already indicated
> that the command is safe?)
>
> Anyway, how do I get around this for Windows Vista? Is it a matter of
> signing our application code so that it will have a higher level of trust
> under Windows Vista?
>
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> - Joseph Geretz -

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Problems installing our software on Windows Vista
As Jesper says: << Your installer needs to be running elevated. >>

Simplest way is to right mouse click on the msi file and Run as
Administrator.

If there's a subsequent problem in actually running the application
check out the Properties / Compatibility TAB (on the application's exe
file?) and see if setting to XP helps.

simon.pogrebinsky@gmail.com

On Feb 16, 12:53 pm, "Joseph Geretz" <jger...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Our product is installed via an MSI which has been operating just fine under
> Windows XP for the past few years. We just started testing on WindowsVista
> and we are encountering an installationproblem. Theproblemoccurs when
> attempting to register an ActiveX EXE during the installation. Unlike DLL's
> and OCX's which are registered via RegSrv32.exe, an ActiveX EXE is
> registered by runing the executable with the command parameter /RegServer.
>
> For example: c:\folder\location\MyEXE.exe /RegServer
>
> This is the step which is failing within the MSI.
>
> Just for kicks, I tried this from the Windows shell. Sure enough, up pops a
> security dialog box :-\. (BTW, this dialog box pops up every single time I
> attempt this command. Shouldn't there be an option to mark the executable as
> trusted so that I don't have to go through this once I've already indicated
> that the command is safe?)
>
> Anyway, how do I get around this for WindowsVista? Is it a matter of
> signing our application code so that it will have a higher level of trust
> under WindowsVista?
>
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> - Joseph Geretz -

Joseph, please let me know if you finally overcame the problem with /
RegServer.
Signing of EXE doesn't help...
Thanks
Simon

Joseph Geretz

Re: Problems installing our software on Windows Vista
No, the advice which I got did not solve the problem at all.

First of all, the installer is running elevated. I get the Vista prompt
screen An unidentified program, etc... Once I click to proceed, the MSI
should be running elevated, no?

But for some unidentified reason, the launch of the executable from within
the MSI is not occurring elevated. The error I get during the install is
"Unexpected error; quitting" which is the same error I get when running
MyExe.exe / RegServer from the Start | Run.

So if the MSI is running elevated, why the @!#$^@^#$% isn't MyExe launched
as elevated from within the MSI?

Hey all you Microsoft gurus. Can't I get some help with a simple question?

Thanks!

- Joseph Geretz -

<simon.pogrebinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1172025585.139572.169060@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> On Feb 16, 12:53 pm, "Joseph Geretz" <jger...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Our product is installed via an MSI which has been operating just fine
>> under
>> Windows XP for the past few years. We just started testing on
>> WindowsVista
>> and we are encountering an installationproblem. Theproblemoccurs when
>> attempting to register an ActiveX EXE during the installation. Unlike
>> DLL's
>> and OCX's which are registered via RegSrv32.exe, an ActiveX EXE is
>> registered by runing the executable with the command parameter
>> /RegServer.
>>
>> For example: c:\folder\location\MyEXE.exe /RegServer
>>
>> This is the step which is failing within the MSI.
>>
>> Just for kicks, I tried this from the Windows shell. Sure enough, up pops
>> security dialog box :-\. (BTW, this dialog box pops up every single time
>> attempt this command. Shouldn't there be an option to mark the executable
>> as
>> trusted so that I don't have to go through this once I've already
>> indicated
>> that the command is safe?)
>>
>> Anyway, how do I get around this for WindowsVista? Is it a matter of
>> signing our application code so that it will have a higher level of trust
>> under WindowsVista?
>>
>> Thanks for your advice!
>>
>> - Joseph Geretz -

> Joseph, please let me know if you finally overcame the problem with /
> RegServer.
> Signing of EXE doesn't help...
> Thanks
> Simon

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Problems installing our software on Windows Vista
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:43:26 -0500, "Joseph Geretz"

>First of all, the installer is running elevated. I get the Vista prompt
>screen An unidentified program, etc... Once I click to proceed, the MSI
>should be running elevated, no?

Perhaps not in the way you require.

There may be a difference between "pre-elevating" something by
rt-clicking it and running as administrator, and waiting for UAC to
trap something and throw up an elevation prompt.

UAC is the visible part of a larger and deeper compatibility system.

The same system can be preset via rt-click, compatibility properties;
in fact, there's a "run as admin" option there too. Or the
compatibility system can automatically tailor how an app runs if it
pops up a "did that work OK?" dialog when something finishes running.

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Mike Matheny

Re: Problems installing our software on Windows Vista
Try disabling UAC to see if it will install.

--

Mike Matheny

"Joseph Geretz" <jgeretz@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No, the advice which I got did not solve the problem at all.
>
> First of all, the installer is running elevated. I get the Vista prompt
> screen An unidentified program, etc... Once I click to proceed, the MSI
> should be running elevated, no?
>
> But for some unidentified reason, the launch of the executable from within
> the MSI is not occurring elevated. The error I get during the install is
> "Unexpected error; quitting" which is the same error I get when running
> MyExe.exe / RegServer from the Start | Run.
>
> So if the MSI is running elevated, why the @!#$^@^#$% isn't MyExe launched
> as elevated from within the MSI?
>
> Hey all you Microsoft gurus. Can't I get some help with a simple question?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Joseph Geretz -
>
> <simon.pogrebinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1172025585.139572.169060@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>> On Feb 16, 12:53 pm, "Joseph Geretz" <jger...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> Our product is installed via an MSI which has been operating just fine
>>> under
>>> Windows XP for the past few years. We just started testing on
>>> WindowsVista
>>> and we are encountering an installationproblem. Theproblemoccurs when
>>> attempting to register an ActiveX EXE during the installation. Unlike
>>> DLL's
>>> and OCX's which are registered via RegSrv32.exe, an ActiveX EXE is
>>> registered by runing the executable with the command parameter
>>> /RegServer.
>>>
>>> For example: c:\folder\location\MyEXE.exe /RegServer
>>>
>>> This is the step which is failing within the MSI.
>>>
>>> Just for kicks, I tried this from the Windows shell. Sure enough, up
>>> pops
>>> security dialog box :-\. (BTW, this dialog box pops up every single time
>>> attempt this command. Shouldn't there be an option to mark the
>>> executable
>>> as
>>> trusted so that I don't have to go through this once I've already
>>> indicated
>>> that the command is safe?)
>>>
>>> Anyway, how do I get around this for WindowsVista? Is it a matter of
>>> signing our application code so that it will have a higher level of
>>> trust
>>> under WindowsVista?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice!
>>>
>>> - Joseph Geretz -

>> Joseph, please let me know if you finally overcame the problem with /
>> RegServer.
>> Signing of EXE doesn't help...
>> Thanks
>> Simon

pahleeeeeze

Re: Problems installing our software on Windows Vista

Hugh Wyn Griffith Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was about to take
two more Excedrin headache medicine.

--
pahleeeeeze
pahleeeeeze's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/126361.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Travis Bickle

pahleeeeeze <pahleeeeeze.3x5jzb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Hugh Wyn Griffith Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was about to take
>two more Excedrin headache medicine.

"Hugh" left the room TWO YEARS AND SIX MONTHS ago and has never
returned.