Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

John Carpenter

Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

Installing (trying) Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit OEM full ver.) on
a new single drive installed in an existing working system. Insert disk
and cold boot up. I see the DVD drive working and on screen I'm seeing
the windows installation files installing. After that I get the enter
key (which I do) and then we go to a screen that shows type of install
(only custom clean install with no OS is option). That is ok since this
is not an upgrade or install with existing OS. Drive is new with no OS.
Then next scrren shows drive options and the current (only hard drive)
is shown as primary one partition. So far so good. Upgrade is not
selectable which is good since that is not what the OEM is nor what I'
doing. The next scrren shows at least a start of the install (gathering
information I think it says). First check mark ok and then the install
stops on the second item with the follow error:
D:\sources\install.wim error code 0x800701e7
I can't go beyond that point. If I try again (ten times so far) at the
select drive I search the OEM DVD disk and find the d:\sources folder
but nothing like a install.wim file. I've looks in all the folders (on
the install disk) but nothing along that line of what it's looking for.
It could be compressed or zip but I wouldn't know.
My level of expertise is on the low side as this is my first vista
install and the first time installing an OEM from scrach. Any words of
advice?
P.S. This CPU that I'm working on now is my current XP system. I'm just
quickly swapping around the internal SATA plugs with the new blank drive
so anything I try I have to power down and re-swap. I'm sorry I'm not
that sharp at this but trying to learn. thanks

--
John Carpenter
Mark Thompson

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error
John Carpenter <John.Carpenter.2xsgi0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Installing (trying) Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit OEM full ver.) on
> a new single drive installed in an existing working system. Insert disk
> and cold boot up. I see the DVD drive working and on screen I'm seeing
> the windows installation files installing. After that I get the enter
> key (which I do) and then we go to a screen that shows type of install
> (only custom clean install with no OS is option). That is ok since this
> is not an upgrade or install with existing OS. Drive is new with no OS.
> Then next scrren shows drive options and the current (only hard drive)
> is shown as primary one partition. So far so good. Upgrade is not
> selectable which is good since that is not what the OEM is nor what I'
> doing. The next scrren shows at least a start of the install (gathering
> information I think it says). First check mark ok and then the install
> stops on the second item with the follow error:
> D:\sources\install.wim error code 0x800701e7
> I can't go beyond that point. If I try again (ten times so far) at the
> select drive I search the OEM DVD disk and find the d:\sources folder
> but nothing like a install.wim file. I've looks in all the folders (on
> the install disk) but nothing along that line of what it's looking for.
> It could be compressed or zip but I wouldn't know.
> My level of expertise is on the low side as this is my first vista
> install and the first time installing an OEM from scrach. Any words of
> advice?
> P.S. This CPU that I'm working on now is my current XP system. I'm just
> quickly swapping around the internal SATA plugs with the new blank drive
> so anything I try I have to power down and re-swap. I'm sorry I'm not
> that sharp at this but trying to learn. thanks

get a mac!
John Carpenter

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

Thanks I also have one of those. I've previously used Apple since my old
IIe days. Makes a nice decorator item now but not very usable in the
real world office/business enviroment. Thanks for the helpful insight
and wit.

--
John Carpenter

Dogface
John Barnes

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error
I don't have the OEM version but I do have the file on my Retail version

"John Carpenter" <John.Carpenter.2xsgi0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Installing (trying) Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit OEM full ver.) on
> a new single drive installed in an existing working system. Insert disk
> and cold boot up. I see the DVD drive working and on screen I'm seeing
> the windows installation files installing. After that I get the enter
> key (which I do) and then we go to a screen that shows type of install
> (only custom clean install with no OS is option). That is ok since this
> is not an upgrade or install with existing OS. Drive is new with no OS.
> Then next scrren shows drive options and the current (only hard drive)
> is shown as primary one partition. So far so good. Upgrade is not
> selectable which is good since that is not what the OEM is nor what I'
> doing. The next scrren shows at least a start of the install (gathering
> information I think it says). First check mark ok and then the install
> stops on the second item with the follow error:
> D:\sources\install.wim error code 0x800701e7
> I can't go beyond that point. If I try again (ten times so far) at the
> select drive I search the OEM DVD disk and find the d:\sources folder
> but nothing like a install.wim file. I've looks in all the folders (on
> the install disk) but nothing along that line of what it's looking for.
> It could be compressed or zip but I wouldn't know.
> My level of expertise is on the low side as this is my first vista
> install and the first time installing an OEM from scrach. Any words of
> advice?
> P.S. This CPU that I'm working on now is my current XP system. I'm just
> quickly swapping around the internal SATA plugs with the new blank drive
> so anything I try I have to power down and re-swap. I'm sorry I'm not
> that sharp at this but trying to learn. thanks
>

> --
> John Carpenter

John Barnes

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error
Have you installed the SATA drivers for your MOBO chipset.

>I don't have the OEM version but I do have the file on my Retail version
>
> "John Carpenter" <John.Carpenter.2xsgi0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Installing (trying) Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit OEM full ver.) on
>> a new single drive installed in an existing working system. Insert disk
>> and cold boot up. I see the DVD drive working and on screen I'm seeing
>> the windows installation files installing. After that I get the enter
>> key (which I do) and then we go to a screen that shows type of install
>> (only custom clean install with no OS is option). That is ok since this
>> is not an upgrade or install with existing OS. Drive is new with no OS.
>> Then next scrren shows drive options and the current (only hard drive)
>> is shown as primary one partition. So far so good. Upgrade is not
>> selectable which is good since that is not what the OEM is nor what I'
>> doing. The next scrren shows at least a start of the install (gathering
>> information I think it says). First check mark ok and then the install
>> stops on the second item with the follow error:
>> D:\sources\install.wim error code 0x800701e7
>> I can't go beyond that point. If I try again (ten times so far) at the
>> select drive I search the OEM DVD disk and find the d:\sources folder
>> but nothing like a install.wim file. I've looks in all the folders (on
>> the install disk) but nothing along that line of what it's looking for.
>> It could be compressed or zip but I wouldn't know.
>> My level of expertise is on the low side as this is my first vista
>> install and the first time installing an OEM from scrach. Any words of
>> advice?
>> P.S. This CPU that I'm working on now is my current XP system. I'm just
>> quickly swapping around the internal SATA plugs with the new blank drive
>> so anything I try I have to power down and re-swap. I'm sorry I'm not
>> that sharp at this but trying to learn. thanks
>>

>> --
>> John Carpenter

John Carpenter

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

John,
I hadn't done anything on the MOBO chipset since I didn't think I would
need to update that since the original factory installed hard drive on
my system was a factory installed SATA drive running XP MediaCenter.
Since that was a SATA drive I would think the chipset has drivers for
the drive already loaded. In fact I had prepped (checked) the new drive
by loading or original OS (XP Media Center) from scratch and that worked
fine. I've since formated the drive (NTFS) to get it ready for a clean
scratch Vista install. So it should be ready. The disk I have is a new
OEM (32bit) Vista Prem full version but as I mentioned, I've never
installed or had any experience using OEM disks.

--
John Carpenter

Dogface
John Barnes

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error
Chipset drivers are for specific operating systems and are used by the
operating system. You need Vista drivers (32-bit) for your chipset, and
they need to be presented on the page where you look for the install disk.
There is a button for installing drivers on that page. I would also used
the advanced option after the drivers are installed and reformat the drive
again as the NTFS used by Vista is a little different from that of XP

"John Carpenter" <John.Carpenter.2xwcs4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> John,
> I hadn't done anything on the MOBO chipset since I didn't think I would
> need to update that since the original factory installed hard drive on
> my system was a factory installed SATA drive running XP MediaCenter.
> Since that was a SATA drive I would think the chipset has drivers for
> the drive already loaded. In fact I had prepped (checked) the new drive
> by loading or original OS (XP Media Center) from scratch and that worked
> fine. I've since formated the drive (NTFS) to get it ready for a clean
> scratch Vista install. So it should be ready. The disk I have is a new
> OEM (32bit) Vista Prem full version but as I mentioned, I've never
> installed or had any experience using OEM disks.
>

> --
> John Carpenter
>
> Dogface

John Carpenter

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

I've noted that the file that the installation is looking for and
doesn't find (D:\sources\install.wim ) is not shown when I search the
folder during the loading process. When I explore the disk after the
fact it is indeed on the original DVD that I've used trying to install.
The install.wim file is around 2.2 GBs. You can't see it during the
disk. The loading process doesn't give me an opportunity to selection
it even if I could see it at that point of the install process.

--
John Carpenter

Dogface
John Carpenter

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

Thanks everybody... but nothing worked... So I returned (RMA'd) the
Vista OS back to the vendor. Tried everything listed above and more...
This should have been a simple install.... i.e. empty drive with full
version of Vista...but it turned out to be a big waste of my time....
Guess I will just have to be happy with my solid XP system.

--
John Carpenter

Dogface
mrhubof

Re: Vista Home Pre Install new drive no OS error

I am having the same exact problem.
New motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H,
New processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2,
New memory - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2
6400),
New harddrive - Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
3.0Gb/s.
Vista Home Premium 32bit OEM DVD.
Tried everything above, tried another hard drive, tried clearing cmos,
etc...

One concern I have is that the DVD copies files to the x directory and
then runs setup from that directory, it then proceeds to start the file
copy procedure and it can't access the install.wim file. It says
"Windows cannot access the required file, D:\sources\install.wim, error
code: 0x800701E7

Their has to be a solution for this problem. If anyone has any other
ideas let me know as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

--
mrhubof